Covid 19 CRISIS

All we are doing with this is furthering tribelness and creating even more Us vs. Them. We don’t need that and it’s only making things worse.

Sorry, but that doesn’t really wash. You can’t argue against single points of failure in one paragraph and for them in the next.

Skimmed through that other list of things didn't you? That's fine, I've said my piece. @93Flareside is correct. Especially since we're not at a point on the pandemic where we're just keeping score of the unvaccinated at this point.

Honduran update soon.

Sure, there is an evident correlation between political ideas and vaccination (even if the extreme left and right loop onto one another, as usual. At least here), yet the worst thing we can do is entrenching the divide.

If people do not get vaccinated and die because of their own ideas, often stupid ones, we should be sheding tears, not laughters or scorn. They are not different from us, even if their choice puts ourselves in danger too. So it's ok to be unhappy at them, and to criticize them; it's not ok to rejoice when they pay the price of their ways.

I have friends and some relatives who are not vaccinated, for the most diverse reasons (largely irrational, sometimes obnoxious), but I do not for a minute wish them any bad, and I hope they do not catch anything just as I hope it for all the vaccinated ones.

Politics is becoming hateful. I think this should change.

I’d just like to end by pointing out how incredible depressing it is to read these last few replies.

The Republicans under Trump are not normal. They are pushing insane amounts of bullshit and people die every day because they believe it. Hydroxychloroquine, UV light “into the body”, injecting bleach, ivermectin… the longer this list gets, the more people will die.

There can be no discussion of COVID with the people causing this unnecessary suffering. They don’t deserve to be heard, they must not be taken seriously and they must be fought any legal way possible.

I’m going to need a break from FG.

I think as usual you both have a point - while some people are conspiracy pushing idiots that actually believe the crap, most of those unvaxxed are misinformed, fearful, lost. If we want to stop the dying, we need to find ways to turn these people around. And in order to do so we have to accept that a certain demographic (white male right wing voters) are overrepresented.

They don’t deserve to be heard, they must not be taken seriously and they must be fought any legal way possible.
The more you follow this path, the more you validate their position: "no one listens to us, they all want to silence us!"

The more they feel validated, the more they will entrench, the less they will listen. In the end, even more people will die.

If I can still talk to all those peole I know who refused the vaccine, it is because I haven't judged them, even if I told them that I think they are wrong. If I were hard, how many of them would still talk to me? Ideas are quite stronger than me, they would have won their hearts away from me easily.

I do not know what you want to achieve. Me, personally, I want to do what I can to help them out of those ideas, and for me this is through talking.

I’m going to need a break from FG.
FinalGear is one of the few places where a fundamentally useful discussion can be had and thoughts can be thought.

Post more car shit, damnit!

Post more car shit, damnit!
Such a nice request and instantly there’s multiple rona cars, I love it ?

Edit: on topic: no idea how much my diving has dropped since the beginning of the pandemic. I really should track my numbers more… but I honestly can’t be bothered. Anyone have any ballpark figures? 50% less?

Edit: on topic: no idea how much my diving has dropped since the beginning of the pandemic. I really should track my numbers more… but I honestly can’t be bothered. Anyone have any ballpark figures? 50% less?
Mine hasn’t changed too much. I actually drove a bit more this year as my yearly vehicle maintence interval is yelling at me before snow. This is mostly business side as my work load has gone from mentally draining to Even More mentally draining as the work has gone up. Since The Event in the US back in November last year and vaccines getting invented, the fiscal inhale businesses were doing stopped and now a bunch of new equipment projects have come up all at once. Plus more service than before or worse because we’re down a few service guys. I’m so drained after work, I hate it.

I haven't picked up diving yet, so :dunno:

As for dRiving, have some data [Eos, Beetle, 2er, excluding rentals; blue is monthly pump-kilometres, green is running 12-month average]:

1632858973698.png

Two observations:
- during the early pandemic my driving hasn't dropped off much: Lots of after-work trips instead of train-to-customer Mon-Thu, empty lockdown roads, two extended summer trips, several cancelled fly-and-rent vacations
- during the later pandemic it dropped noticeably: Fly-and-rent picked up again, only one extended summer trip, perceived worse spring and summer weather

I think as usual you both have a point - while some people are conspiracy pushing idiots that actually believe the crap, most of those unvaxxed are misinformed, fearful, lost. If we want to stop the dying, we need to find ways to turn these people around. And in order to do so we have to accept that a certain demographic (white male right wing voters) are overrepresented.
Common Sense Man speaks common sense, again.

(Come back, calvinhobbes! Although I, too, admit this has become another void to yell into out of my utter frustration with how futile the current state of things all seems and may stick to other threads.)

Gah, I get to post good news for a change? It's not a doom-hole, so I'll take it. We're finally out of "absolutely the worst, things are the worst, my gosh, stop clogging the hospitals" here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUXnqxppXyU/?utm_medium=copy_link

Hopefully that means that the harder national-level push for/mandates on vaccines are actually moving the needle.

Thank frickin' heck because frankly, F1 next month *would* be nice to go to, but the idea of going to a huge event while everything's still FUBAR doesn't sit right. "Stage 4" is still hard in FUBAR land, but it's at least an improvement in the right direction. Too bad they won't let me smuggle my own beer in to avoid any lack of distancing in lines. It's a health measure, I swear! :p

As a huge step back to normalcy, from Oct. 1st onwards Finland's health authority THL will no longer report daily new covid infections and focus the dashboard on vaccination rate and hospitalizations instead. This will hopefully curb tiresome "OMG 2.3% increase" reporting.

As a huge step back to normalcy, from Oct. 1st onwards Finland's health authority THL will no longer report daily new covid infections and focus the dashboard on vaccination rate and hospitalizations instead. This will hopefully curb tiresome "OMG 2.3% increase" reporting.

Good news. Even if it’s not a Dacia.

It's one thing to refuse to do even the bare minimum to help protect people, it's a whole different ballgame to gleefully do everything to block others from doing what you refuse to. Fuck this jumbo bag of cancerous rat assholes tied in a knot.

Merck's molnupiravir proves to be extremely effective in preventing severe covid in first study, halving the amount of people getting hospitalized or dying compared to placebo.

This is of course a game-changer as it throws a lifeline to those refusing to get vaccinated against covid. Ironically, though, one of the side-effects of the drug is that it (temporarily) fucks with people's DNA, so one should not try to reproduce for a few months after treatment - which is exactly what anti-vaxxers claim the vaccine does.