Covid 19 CRISIS

As of yesterday, Finland has first shots of the Covid vaccine in over 85% of over-12s, which equals over 75% of the general populace (87% of over-18s, if anyone cares). This figure is correct taking into account newly born unvaccinated people, people moving away from Finland, and people dying. It does not take into account immigration into Finland, since the vaccination status of new arrivals is not known. @_Jules_ and me, for example, will only show up in the statistics once we get our third shot* in December.

This figure is 6% higher than in Germany, which means we can assume that Finland's vaccination coverage is significantly higher than Germany's even taking into account the one to four percent margin of error in Germany's vaccination numbers (due to the low amount of doses administered on sundays, we can ignore the fact that we are comparing sunday's data for Finland with monday's for Germany).

After trailing behind a bit due to the 12-week dosing schedule, we also caught up to EU average on full vaccination.

I think we'll be able to reach 80+% of the populace once all school children are eligible for the vaccine.

*we don't yet know whether it's a booster shot (implying a regular need) or "only" the third shot of a three-shot regimen. Only long-term data coming in will tell.

Last edited:
The national railways are removing their mask mandate, too. It's only a recommendation from now on.

I went to get a booster today and I'm not feeling great, my arm hurts, I've had a headache since I got jabbed, and I've had to spend quite a bit of time on the toilet. I'm pretty sure this is from the crazy amount of stress I've had to deal with recently along with not getting much rest and not the vaccine, but I'm just reporting how I feel after a third dose.

It might be the booster. For instance, my father in law was out cold after both his shots (AstraZeneca and BioNTech). Side effects like a sore arm and feeling “under the weather“ are extremely common; it is, after all, the simulation of a pretty serious threat to your health.

Here’s hoping that you’ll be back on your feet very soon!

My Moderna booster gave me a very mild case of the manflu. Got jabbed on saturday and spent sunday feeling like I was charging below 13 volts. Certainly nothing at all to write home about and I was fine on Monday.

d41586-021-02947-z_19805732.png

I think this chart does not need further explanation.

There's a bible belt about an hour north from me. As I've mentioned before, their covid stats and vaccination uptake have been pretty terrible for a while now. Their religious leaders have even been in the news saying that they have nothing to do with the low vaccination rate.

This morning the national broadcaster published a little instastory-esque interview with a man in his 40's that caught a really bad case of covid and is now slowly getting better. A picture from the hospital bed and all. A family man with seven kids from the epicenter of the bible belt. Talked about how he thought he was going to die but God and Jesus helped him through the illness. Didn't mention the doctors or nurses. Explained that he hadn't taken the vaccine because "he didn't trust it".

There's a bible belt about an hour north from me.
These people belive in The Bible, except for @julkinen, who believes in The Neon.

There's a bible belt about an hour north from me. As I've mentioned before, their covid stats and vaccination uptake have been pretty terrible for a while now. Their religious leaders have even been in the news saying that they have nothing to do with the low vaccination rate.

This morning the national broadcaster published a little instastory-esque interview with a man in his 40's that caught a really bad case of covid and is now slowly getting better. A picture from the hospital bed and all. A family man with seven kids from the epicenter of the bible belt. Talked about how he thought he was going to die but God and Jesus helped him through the illness. Didn't mention the doctors or nurses. Explained that he hadn't taken the vaccine because "he didn't trust it".

Don’t trust the doctors, but he went to the hospital?

Don’t trust the doctors, but he went to the hospital?

People here generally trust doctors and healthcare, and vaccines too. They’re just being dumb about this new vaccine.

There are also a handful of clowns that are against it because they just have to be against something. There’s one nut in my area that recently switched his “anti” from being against pride etc. to campaigning against vaccines.

From the useless statistics desk: As of today, Finland's full vaccination rate exceeds Germany's first shot rate.

In terms of first shots, Germany made some headwind and caught up by 0,1% since ten days ago.
In the all-important Nordic dick waving contest, Finland's ahead of Sweden, on eye level with Denmark (within .2%), and slightly behind champions Iceland and Norway.

Illinois is up to 12 and over of 76% record at least one dose while 65 and older are 92%.

It came up because I’m tired of the mask mandate and wasn’t sure where the state stood on it. Seems the state and what individual store owners do are different things. Especially the patrons. It’s a mixed bag and one asshole claimed he couldn’t hear me last night. I was at the local DIY store who lets dogs in. One older guy asked what my dogs name was, he asked 4 times before he said that he couldn’t hear well and these masks make it worse. Then we carry on casual conversation afterwards and I was speaking normal, not loud or slower or more annunciated.

Governor of Illinois won’t budge until hospitalizations come down. Businesses are not enforcing it, people are doing what they please and there is no enforcement.

Illinois is up to 12 and over of 76% record at least one dose while 65 and older are 92%.
Absolute numbers for Finland (first shots, forgot to add earlier):
General populace: 75.5%
12+: 85.8%
18+: 88.0%*

*different data source, which lists general populace at 76.6%, so this may not be 100% correct.

EDIT: if any data nerd here cares - the EU, and seemingly also Germany since their numbers align with EU reporting, calculate the vaccination rate by comparing reported shots administered to amount of residents. While that sounds logical enough, it ignores that people both vaccinated and unvaccinated die (and with almost 100% of those over 80 vaccinated, a huge chunk of those who die are vaccinated), or move out of a country, and that each newly born kid adds to the amount of unvaccinated. Finland's internal reporting takes these factors into account, which leads to the discrepancy we see here.

Last edited:
We have my son booked for his first shot on Sunday morning. He's traveling with dad and my step-mom on Thanksgiving to Utah. He'll only have the one dose, but it's better than nothing (especially with the aforementioned masklessness in his school).