Covid 19 CRISIS

If we "follow the money" it becomes clear that Pfizer, not the Chinese, invented covid.
Bad jokes aside, though, Pfizer's new antiviral pill prevents 9 of 10 covid hospitalizations and all deaths in high-risks patients.

Derek Lowe said:
if you take it crudely as “Everyone dosed with the drug out to five days from symptoms”, then there were 9 people in the treatment group hospitalized out of 996 total and zero deaths, compared to 68 hospitalized out of 997 patients and ten deaths. So if indeed we can eliminate almost 9 out of 10 hospitalizations and virtually all deaths in high-risk patients with an oral drug that’s given only once symptoms appear, the course of the pandemic can clearly be altered.
[...]
All in all, it appears that we are turning yet another corner in the story of our fight against this virus - and perhaps there aren't many more of them coming? We have vaccines and now we have effective drugs to be given early in the course of the disease. How many infectious diseases have more than that? Think about it - why shouldn't we now be able to beat this pandemic back into the ground? Let's get on it.

Last edited:
While this is of course good news, it will further weaken the vaccination campaign. I can already hear the antivaxxers triumph: "See? It was all unnecessary!" :mad:

While this is of course good news, it will further weaken the vaccination campaign. I can already hear the antivaxxers triumph: "See? It was all unnecessary!" :mad:
The staunch anti-vaxxers are beyond reason anyway, so perhaps we can think of this as another way to help those who are still undecided/uninformed about the vaccine. I may not understand how people can still be undecided or uninformed, but they should still get the best possible medication when they catch the virus.

Better yet if it gives hospital staff a desperately needed break.

...because a brand new drug isn't going to stir up its own conspiracies? I have less faith in humanity.

Better yet if it gives hospital staff a desperately needed break.
This.

OH NO! We have a new drug that renders covid from a killer into a normal sickness! It has a very good side effect profile! (Almost) no one has to die of covid any more!

QUICK! HOW CAN WE FIND A NEGATIVE ANGLE TO THIS?

#germany

That's why I left in a nutshell, really.

OH NO! We have a new drug that renders covid from a killer into a normal sickness! It has a very good side effect profile! (Almost) no one has to die of covid any more!

QUICK! HOW CAN WE FIND A NEGATIVE ANGLE TO THIS?

#germany

That's why I left in a nutshell, really.

It’s not just Germany that acts this way…

I am of course glad that an effective medicine against Covid-19 seems to be on the way now, don't get me wrong. I'm just tired of the anti-vaxxers proclaiming their nonsense, and the prospect of them feeling validated makes me angry.

That said, I do hope that the new drug will also prevent Long Covid. Because having your life ruined for good in the long run by this fucking virus is the real danger.

And @Dr_Grip, I'm glad to be of service. If you need your fix of German negativeness to further validate your decision, feel free to contact me. :p

God do we live in a time where I had to check if that was a comedy bit? Oh dear.

A Honduran update.

Did you know that Honduras is in the middle of an election year? Well, I say in the middle, it's closer to the end. The polls are much the same as they are in the rest of the planet (satan vs cthulu with a smattering of humans to round things up). And the biggest testament to the fact that we are closer to the "end" of the pandemic than to the beginning is that now, finally, the media is back to reporting on the electoral circus instead of COVID. So let us see how we're actually doing, shall we?

First. here's a handy little chart showing our progress since february.

Información avances vacunación 27 septiembre página SESAL_Page_05.jpg

Blue line represents how many vaccinations we have received, the red one is how many we've applied. Let us take a look at those numbers on the red line in further detail, yes?

Información avances vacunación 27 septiembre página SESAL_Page_06.jpg

I never cease to be amazed by government graphic designers. Anyway, as ever, please disregard the breakdown by color. All of the institutions here are public. The first bar represents total doses, and then a breakdown into first and second doses. Different colors represent different institutions. People who have engaged in vaccine tourism or otherwise acquired a vaccine through private means have no reason to report to the government and, therefore, while the amount of vaccinated people is most assuredly higher than the one reported here, any guesses about how many are pulled straight from the guesser's posterior. Statistics shown here as valid as of September 25, 2021.

The vaccine rollout has slowed down. This was inevitable. we jumped from 960k total doses in July, to 4M at the end of august. Still. an additional million and a half is very welcome. Especially since most of them seem to be second doses (2.2M vs. 1.3M back in August). But what do these numbers mean in terms of raw statistics?

Información avances vacunación 27 septiembre página SESAL_Page_15.jpg

This is a chart denoting Honduras's complete population against the vaccination numbers. In summation:

- 78% of the eligible population (the chart defines the eligible population as "anyone over 12") has at least one dose.
- 47% of the eligible population has only a first dose (This works out to 59.9% of the total vaccinated people)
- 31% of the eligible population has both doses (This works out to 40.1% of the total vaccinated people)

Vaccination centers are now reporting a decrease in the population that is arriving to get vaccinated. The usual suspects are presumably to blame. Nevertheless, I am happy that the vaccine continues to be available for anyone who requests it. There are no special incentives to get you to vaccinate. The mask mandate continues unabated. There has been conversation about boosters making it to the country. I am not especially confident of these being the case, depending on the willingness of the honduran people and the political landscape.

Additional Data points:

Here's an unlabeled and kinda fun graph showing the breakdown of the vaccines applied to the populace. Green is first dose, Orange is second:
Información avances vacunación 27 septiembre página SESAL_Page_07.jpg

October has also reported the lowest amount of reported covid cases, however that may have to do with a decline in tests, as shown in this chart (Grey is the amount of tests, red is the positives)

1636334453665.png

However, COVID wards seem to hover at around 20% occupancy. Remember, this is country-wide, the ones in my town may be mostly empty, but I have had personal reports of relatives who mentioned that COVID wards on less developed coastal areas are so full that patients are queuing up for when someone in them leaves (alive or otherwise). The newspapers helpfully report that the people who enter covid wards generally have a single or no vaccine dose.

Another note. Our neighbors from the south at Nicaragua, which is going through a difficult political situation at the moment, need only walk to the honduran border, and we will provide them with vaccines, as this article from VOA (in spanish) reports

Since Germany is crying "vaccines fail!" instead of putting the blame where it belongs - with the unvaxxed masses, I feel obliged to share this.
PGxRe-covid-hospitalizations-by-vaccine-status-1024x776.png

5MTyY-covid-cases-by-vaccine-status-1024x776.png

Last edited:
Since Germany is crying "vaccines fail!" instead of putting the blame where it belongs - with the unvaxxed masses
Errr..... what?
It seems to me that your outside view of Germany is vastly different than what we see from within.
The general consensus within the mainstream media, the political sphere and my personal contacts (granted, that's a "vaccinated bubble") is that the blame for the current escalation belongs purely on the anti-vaxxers.

The problem is that the government is too cowardly to do something about it - despite latest polls even showing a majority of the population being in favour of a general vaccination mandate. We're tired of this tyranny by the few percent anti-vaxxers.

Last edited:
The general consensus within the mainstream media, the political sphere and my personal contacts (granted, that's a "vaccinated bubble") is that the blame for the current escalation belongs purely on the anti-vaxxers.

The problem is that the government is too cowardly to do something about it - despite latest polls even showing a majority of the population being in favour of a general vaccination mandate. We're tired of this tyranny by the few percent anti-vaxxers.
I must correct myself - any sane person I talk to agrees with you and me, but it's politics - Spahn, Wieler and Müller (major of Berlin) who warn before breakthrough infections and risks - "This is no longer a pandemic of the unvaccinated" (Müller). Müller even has started to muse about a Christmas lockdown.
Precisely because they are afraid to confront anti-vaxxers.

Man, that's disappointing, especially given that Germany felt like the land of sanity with this compared to Texas when I went over for Ringmeet. Y'all gotta sack up and do something before things get bad like they were here earlier this fall.

Honestly, I feel like the mandates are going pretty well over here? We're still way below where we need to be, but it's at least nudged some off the fence. Folks who were legitimately waiting and seeing seem to have figured out that the vaccine is fine, and it seems like most of the holdouts don't want to lose their paycheck. Like Ted "Zodiac Killer" Cruz, they'll talk big talk and then get vaccinated anyway.

I still think it’s over blown. It’s not like there’s bill boards and signs all around complaint about mandates. If I can remember, I’ll get some photos of the signs and crap people have in my area. Keep that shit to yourself.

Also, we have space on our side in this squandered country.

Got my flu shot and PfizerBioNTech Booster. Sore arm... meh
If we "follow the money" it becomes clear that Pfizer, not the Chinese, invented covid.
Bad jokes aside, though, Pfizer's new antiviral pill prevents 9 of 10 covid hospitalizations and all deaths in high-risks patients.
I hope it works and and hope my insurance covers it. Though it wouldn't be the first time i've spent out of pocket to buy a pharmaceutical that was not covered by insurance to protect myself.

Right now in Colorado News

We don't know why it spiked but from my observation lots of people got weak and lackadaisical with covid precautions. My observation having taken a flight to Maui for vacation. Coming back we volunteered our seats and got back $1700 dollars in airline credits! However; our return trip was broken up with a layover in DFW. Night and day comparing Texas to Hawaii in just the general populations participation in care.