Covid 19 CRISIS

Sucks that the GOP and their nut swingers just won't clue into this shit.
Should we blame a certain angry cheeto for making this behavior acceptable? I'm not a politics expert by any stretch of the imagination but it feels like five years ago was the point where it suddenly became normal for people in higher up positions to reject reality and substitute your own BS.

Should we blame a certain angry cheeto for making this behavior acceptable? I'm not a politics expert by any stretch of the imagination but it feels like five years ago was the point where it suddenly became normal for people in higher up positions to reject reality and substitute your own BS.

Evidently you weren't paying much attention beforehand. Stephen Colbert made a very successful career from pointing such things out since 1997, when it was considered just comedy, not news. :p

Last edited:

As @gaasc says, been going on a long, long time. There's nothing new under the sun.

38,625 new cases in NSW today!
Now the “COVID Economic Recovery” group of the NSW government, are expected to sign off today on reinstating some “safety precautions” (not calling them restrictions, because the optics look bad). Closing nightclubs, density limits in food places. Elective surgeries are being cancelled. Healthcare workers are being told not to test unless they have symptoms, and keep going to work.

Things started to change rapidly with the TEA Party. It just continues to slide downhill.

Animal studies confirm that Omicron is shit at attacking lung cells, which may be the reason for less severity.

In more real-life news, ten senior doctors at Finnish hospitals (which in a small country like this means bascially anyone with authority to speak up publicly) sent an open letter arguing against closing schools and moving to distance learning.

Even if schools are closed, the infections will not stop. Even if the whole of Finland were closed, even if a curfew was imposed, the coronavirus would be waiting for the contacts to return.

London meanwhile seems to have reached peak Omicron, almost on the clock for the three week mark.

London meanwhile seems to have reached peak Omicron, almost on the clock for the three week mark.
Probably the same for Tenerife:
1641549188733.png

...and GC would be a week or so later, so should drop soon if that three week peak is universal.

We’re still climbing. 45k new infections in 24 hours. Asymptomatic people told not to test, symptomatic people are waiting hours only to be turned away from tests, rapid antigen Tests are rarer than rocking horse poop, so there are plenty of people who think they have it, but can’t confirm. And there is currently nowhere to self-report a positive RAT, so none of those cases are being counted either.
Isolation period is now 7 days, if you can RAT on day 6 and have no symptoms, then you’re able to do whatever you want., and you don’t need/can’t report anyway.
Apparently at the end of the month they’re going to get rid of the QR check-in system entirely for public places, because there’s just too many to bother tracing, and if none of the RATs are being reported then the numbers mean nothing anyway, as they’re not even close to correct. So YOLO once again, according to the NSW govt.

Had someone come and fix a gearbox in a bus on Thursday. Old Greek guy. He just rang one of my drivers that is a friend of his and said “oh, I just tested positive. Didn’t know I had it. Oops”.
So now I gotta chase up some RATs, and let the other drivers know.

Attachments

• 2C102AB2-DF0D-4C72-AE7A-29A85867658C.jpeg
    2C102AB2-DF0D-4C72-AE7A-29A85867658C.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 25
Things are going swimmingly in the good ol' US of A...

As you can see, we are skyrocketing in the number of cases. Which of course is quite worrying, but possibly more troubling is the number of hospitalizations is nearing it's highest point.

It'll be interesting where we go from here. 🙁

Screenshot_20220107-223735_NYTimes.jpg

Edit: Meanwhile, we lost a local racer to Covid today. Of course he was a denier and most likely not vaccinated then.

Overheard dad talking with a race promoter earlier, one of his sponsors and friend lost his wife recently due to Covid. A quick look at his Facebook page found him to be a denier as well.

Sad that these folks put their life in the hands of idiots and pay the price for it.

Things are going swimmingly in the good ol' US of A...

As you can see, we are skyrocketing in the number of cases. Which of course is quite worrying, but possibly more troubling is the number of hospitalizations is nearing it's highest point.

It'll be interesting where we go from here. 🙁
1641619342765.png

Meanwhile through the magic of memes, this is how I feel about it all..

1641619383820.png

If you want data to make you feel any better, please note that deaths are absolutely not ramping up linearly with new reported cases. The vaccinated will be fine. You and yours as well. There's no doubt that vaccines are working (perhaps not to the "miracle immunity" extent that people thought at one point), and cases shall plummet in a couple of weeks if the US follows European trends; which it should since virology should work more or less the same worldwide. :p

Meanwhile through the magic of memes, this is how I feel about it all..

View attachment 3563597

This is mine

View attachment 3563599

Attachments

• 1641622424929.png
    1641622424929.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
How is it possible for testing to be this hard to do two years into this mess? When Germany’s previous health minister briefly made us pay directly (i.e. on the spot rather than through taxes) for the professional rapid tests last year, there was outrage, but our supply issues haven’t been anything like in Oz or the US for a long time. You may have had trouble finding kits for testing at home and the PCR labs were at capacity for a little while, but that’s about it AFAIK.

How is it possible for testing to be this hard to do two years into this mess? When Germany’s previous health minister briefly made us pay directly (i.e. on the spot rather than through taxes) for the professional rapid tests last year, there was outrage, but our supply issues haven’t been anything like in Oz or the US for a long time. You may have had trouble finding kits for testing at home and the PCR labs were at capacity for a little while, but that’s about it AFAIK.
Anecdotally based on increased rapid testing in the family this week because reasons, getting tests here is supereasy without any wait times:
- selftests are plentiful at local supermarkets
- administered rapid tests are close to home and rarely lots of waiting, no supply issues
- PCR happens within the required day and returns within <24h

The "no free lunch" scheme was intended to motivate vaccinations, didn't work out.

Of course he was a denier and most likely not vaccinated then.
Sounds like it was mutual when Covid denied him.

Anecdotally based on increased rapid testing in the family this week because reasons, getting tests here is supereasy without any wait times:
- selftests are plentiful at local supermarkets
- administered rapid tests are close to home and rarely lots of waiting, no supply issues

Can confirm. I haven’t had a real problem getting tested in DE since they started with the PCRs sometime in 2020. Just this week, the restaurant where we celebrated my mother-in-law’s birthday had rapid tests ready to go for those who didn’t know the admission rule had changed to “2G+“ or boostered.

Basically, the only people having trouble are the unvaccinated who live in the countryside, haven’t recovered from COVID recently and have no access to a car of any kind. They can’t walk to a testing site and they aren’t allowed on public transport either.

The "no free lunch" scheme was intended to motivate vaccinations, didn't work out.

Right, I forgot about that.

I still haven't had a single PCR test, I'm really lucky that I haven't had as much as the sniffles since the pandemic started.

I don't have a real need to travel either, not for work and absolutely not in my spare time. I know some people have a travel itch that needs scratched, but I don't, so I'm sitting this one out.

I’ve had a couple nose poke tests. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Once the guy puts it up there, your eyes water, you curse, It’s done.

annoyed_ben.jpg.gif.png.webp.tif.eps.pdf.ai

I could agree with that. All I've ever wanted was this to be over and here we are two years on and it's getting as bad as it has been (numbers wise anyway).

This is an interesting shift on how data will be reported in NYC.

Half of NYC Covid Hospitalizations Were Admitted for Other Reasons, State Data Shows

Ok, so there are some who went in for reasons related something else. And previously When tested for Covid weren’t separated, how does this make anything interesting? With the effects a lot of folks have had to the virus what’s wrong with testing them and having to take extra precautions to keep hospital staff and others safer?

I don’t doubt for a second a lot of people going to hospitals today are going there only because they think they have Covid. I also don’t think these numbers are being inflated for the sake of hysteria. How this is brought us by the garbage reporting we get here is a different story.