So after owning this truck for nearly 5 years, I finally bought a lift kit for it (Well, it was actually 2.5 lift kits, but that's another story).
The front is lifted with Bilstein 5100 struts. These replace the factory struts (Bilstein 4600 in the case of the Pro-4X models) and have adjustability in ride height (from 0" to 2"/0 to 50mm). I went with 1.5"/38mm to try and even out the fender gap from front to rear, after I had added a pair of Rough Country 1.5"/38mm lift shackles. I also have an add-a-leaf that I might swap out, but after consulting with @Blind_Io , he confirmed what I had suspected, the rear leaf springs are dead. So I'll have to get by with what I have for now and think about some better leaf spring packs in the near future.
The shocks seem to be valved a little firmer over the 4600s that have been on the truck for 110k miles/177k kilometers, but not harsh and really seem to help it rider nicer.
And the obligatory "flex" shots:
While I was at it I also installed some 1.185"/30mm wheel spacers and removed the mud flaps (mostly because the tires rubbed hard while turning sharply).
I'm happy that I lifted it, but I do want to sort that leaf spring situation out as soon as possible. Mostly because I don't like how far the truck squats while towing.
Still need to buy/build some rock sliders in the future, but until a trip to Moab is in the cards, there really isn't a reason to...
Slight hiccup today, the truck left me stranded for the first time. Luckily, only half a mile from home, when I'd shut the truck off while waiting on a train. Went to restart once the tracks were clear and only got clicks from the starter. The factory battery had finally perished after almost 9 years and 145k miles (233k km). Gena was able to come down with her Altima to give me a jump.
I think it's amazing the battery lasted that long and honestly I didn't notice any degradation in starting power until I went to start it this morning. It definitely wasn't putting out the amps it needed anymore. I figured I'd have a couple days to get a replacement, but I was sadly mistaken.
Oh well, $220 at the auto parts store and I had a new battery with a 3 year nationwide warranty.
Finally, I bought something for the truck I have wanted for a long, long time. My own car hauler, one that's easier to load low vehicles on over the one I've borrowed from dad for the last 20 year.
It's not new, I bought it from one of our racers who had used it the last couple years until he bought an enclosed, but it is in pretty decent shape for a nearly 20 year old trailer. Built not far me in 2003 by Neal Manufacturing, which was in Pleasanton, Kansas (which was, at the time across the street from a transmission builder that races with us). The guy I bought it from had bought it from a dirt track racer in northern Missouri near Iowa. Specs are 14 foot (4.25 meters) of deck space with a 4' foot of dove/beaver tail (1.2 meters), for a total of 18 foot of total deck (~5.5 meters). All of the lighting was changed to LED at some point, but I might go with a little more modern lights at some point. Wiring is okay, but I will feel better if I replace it this winter.
Of course, I was itching to see if the BRZ would load easily, so...
And it was super easy to load. Ramps don't have to be carried, just slide right out the back. Can't wait to try this out next week when I go autocrossing again.
Also loaded a couple of the other projects for the heck of it.
The truck just continues to continue. Two weeks ago it did a 1500 mile turn to Michigan without issue. And this weekend it hauled the BRZ to an autocross. Really like the new rear springs for towing. Not immediately down on the bumpstops anymore.
(Arrived at the extra lot used for trailers early this morning.)
(Stopped for groceries for dinner and wanted to see how whole thing lit up at night.)
Oil change to happen this week. Probably the 50th I've done since owning the truck...