Ownership Verified: CraigB's 2014 Nissan Frontier (Navara) Pro-4X

These guys make really good quality fitted seat covers if you want something over the leather. I have their Neo-Supremes in my X and they look so good it doesn't look like I have seat covers on.

Also, Weathertech's Floor Liners are a perfect fit and almost indestructible - been using them for years in both the old and new X.

I'll check those out. Thanks! :D

How can you "Go Big" in a runt truck? :think:

:p congrats.

Sure, it's a rolling oxymoron. Just like it's owner. :D Oh, and thanks! :p

Ah man you have to. That'd freak some of the conspiracy nuts out there right the fuck out.

Bonus points for getting a milsurp helmet and spray painting it blue.

Do eeet. Lots of good shops around for something like that if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

Yes, but those same folk that would be freaked out tend to open carry and generally be just a bit off kilter.

No tube bumpers just yet. I'd want to build it myself anyway.

Not as of yet. Hell, I haven't even driven down a dirt road. :D

As a Hilux owner I'm obliged to hate all Navaras. Eewww.

:p just kidding, looks like a nice thing. It's also a white 4x4 dual cab 4.0 V6 auto truck with white lettered tyres, so we basically have the same car. I'm jealous of the equipment levels. It would be good if you guys got more choice in that market segment. You'd be laughed at for buying a petrol 4x4 truck here (I did, and do).

Thanks man. At one point they showed a diesel version, but we still are waiting. As cheap as gas is right now (about $1.90), I'd be silly to drive a diesel anyway.

Very nice truck. My brother has a Titan Pro-4X and he loves it. He did have issues with his power windows at one point though, which was a common problem I hear. Not sure how many parts the Titan shares with the Frontier, but probably a lot.

Very nice truck. My brother has a Titan Pro-4X and he loves it. He did have issues with his power windows at one point though, which was a common problem I hear. Not sure how many parts the Titan shares with the Frontier, but probably a lot.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that the Titan and Frontier share quite a bit. I have seen where the Frontier guys will even put the 5.6 V8 from a Titan over in their truck.

Awesome truck!

I love that Nissan still do a proper offroad package as well. My brother and I were talking about what factory offroad capable vehicles were left other than the Jeep Wrangler, and for the most part in the US, it's just pickup trucks, the XTerra, 4Runner, Lexus GX460, Land Cruiser/LX570 and maybe the Discovery. Everything else has turned into a car.

Except 2015 is there last year of the Xterra. I hope to try it out on some trails soon. Nothing crazy, need to learn how to handle it off-road first.

Put the truck to work today.

uploadfromtaptalk1442884513218.jpg

Towed it better than the 2003 Silverado (5.3, 2wd, 180k miles) I used to pull it with.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that the Titan and Frontier share quite a bit. I have seen where the Frontier guys will even put the 5.6 V8 from a Titan over in their truck.

That's not much of a guess because they're both built on Nissan's F-Alpha truck platform. The Frontier rides on a cut down version of the Titan's frame - one of the reasons why Frontier > Tacoma, the frame is stronger.

- - - Updated - - -

Towed it better than the 2003 Silverado (5.3, 2wd, 180k miles) I used to pull it with.

Also not a surprise; T800s are miserable at towing whereas the Frontier is a cut down version of the half-ton that was among the best at towing when it came out in the 2000s.

Before you take it out, even to learn how, do yourself a HUGE favor and get some rock rails/sliders on the sides. I suggest these.

d_182.jpg

Last edited:
Looks so nice and clean. Somehow so weird to see a Nissan pick-up with leather and automatic transmission :)

I should not read threads about pick up trucks... Could be costly.

Before you take it out, even to learn how, do yourself a HUGE favor and get some rock rails/sliders on the sides. I suggest these.

d_182.jpg

Rock sliders are on the list of "to do". Gotta pay the taxes and tag it first.

Looks so nice and clean. Somehow so weird to see a Nissan pick-up with leather and automatic transmission :)

I should not read threads about pick up trucks... Could be costly.

Leather and an automatic weren't on my priority list. They are nice to have, but I really just wanted the locking rear differential.

Rock sliders are on the list of "to do". Gotta pay the taxes and tag it first.

Leather and an automatic weren't on my priority list. They are nice to have, but I really just wanted the locking rear differential.
On the plus side, the leather will likely be easier to "just wipe clean" of kid messes.

On the plus side, the leather will likely be easier to "just wipe clean" of kid messes.
That was put to the test this past Saturday when Mrs. CraigB gave the kiddo a chocolate milk. Luckily the all-weather floor mat caught quite a bit of the spill. Needless to say, it's water only from now on...

I'm the son of a former trucker, I make sure my load is secure.

It's a useful little truck even with only a 5 foot bed. Next step is to drill a hole in the bumper to pass the 7-pin trailer plug through and get the trailer brake controller installed. Then we will see if they really mean this can tow 6,500 pounds.

What hitch are you using? The Nissan one for max weight has a tang to put the trailer plug on.

Also, you should think about one of these:
3449.jpg

3451.jpg

It pivots and slides from one position to the other.

Why not just make the bed that size to begin with?

Ah, but I cheaped out and bought a Curt hitch from Amazon (half the price of a Nissan). It bolted in place no problem, but lacks the bracket to hold the plug like the Nissan hitch. Plus, all the cool kids mount the plug in the bumper to keep it from being drug off and broken.

I will be keeping an eye out for a bed extender, used. They are on Craigslist for about a quarter what they run new.

Those are great, especially in vans until something gets jammed underneath it and it all needs to be disassembled to find and fix it.

First real "off-roading" done today. We have gone down into Arkansas for a one night camping trip. The road we took to get here went from paved, to gravel, to two dirt tracks then back to gravel. Are destination was White Rock Mountain. It was quite fun to come up the mountain, a new experience tomorrow when going back down.

No action photos, but I'll try to get Mrs. CraigB to get some tomorrow. Until then, here's the campsite:

uploadfromtaptalk1443925679815.jpg

Time to turn in now. Fire is dead and I've only got enough wood to cook breakfast in the morning.

Because then you have to deal with a longer vehicle, crap departure angle, and more difficult maneuvering when you don't need that extra room.

Very nice truck! I can vouch for how tough they are, the other day I smashed down on granite rock in my XTerra (same chassis). The Nissan was fine. I broke the rock.