Ownership Verified: CraigB's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru (2013 Subaru BRZ)

They might be easy cars to work on, but aftermarket parts are hit and miss as with any car apparently.

Found another fella with the same problem, he just used a 3" gasket and a factory sized 2.5" gasket to fill the gap. I may try that. 😬

Edit: On second thought, I may just pickup a 3" exhaust flange and stick that between the two flanges for now. Seems to be the cheapest solution. Too bad I don't have a plasma table...

Last edited:
If memory serves the factory exhaust really didn't want to fit either. Always seemed to be misaligned by about a quarter inch unless you zipped it all together with bolts and violence.

Violence has been had, mostly in the shape of a die grinder, but the exhaust is all hooked up and guaranteed to be leak free (yeah, right). Also got the air intake tubing installed, only to find that the air box had a mouse think the air filter was a tasty snack and left their acorn trash behind as well. So I did the irresponsible thing and ordered a drop in K&N panel filter. I mean, it's air filter shaped.

I think this leaves the following steps to give the key a turn, er... push a button?

1. Fill with oil and install new oil filter.
2. Fill with coolant and be ready to top off
3. Prime fuel system, check for leaks
4. ?
5. Farty Subaru noises

Tonight was the night, but it didn't go right. (n)

From the above list I got 1, 2, 3 and 5 done. However, 4 turned out to be something that needs further investigation.

The current line of speculation thought is, somehow oil is getting into the right bank of cylinders and there may have been a hydrolock situation. This needs further checking and possibly the engine needs to come out again. Sadly, I'm going into money conservation mode (winter is coming and we don't race), so it probably won't run this year if the new engine needs work.

Ugh...

View: https://youtu.be/8K7c6kjqcMM?si=kum_ry_Uv852Bg6e

*Listens to video*

Yes...quite...

So... leading theory now is... I am the world's biggest idiot.

I mentioned earlier that the new engine had some race car stuff. One of these things was instead of a PCV valve there is merely a -10 AN fitting. "Great!", I thought. I'll just buy some AN hose and a breather tank/catch can. So, I did exactly that. Now, I have never installed one of these and looking at it I thought it's dead simple. Plumb the crankcase vent (formerly PCV valve) into the catch can, then route the other hose from the catch can back to the intake. What I believe I didn't take into account here is, now the entire vacuum of the intake is pulling oil and crankcase vapors through the catch can and into the intake. Rookie mistake.

So now the hunt is on to find an inline PCV valve that will fit inline with the -10 AN line.

Also, I overfilled the crankcase by 3/4 of a quart somehow (that ~750ml for you metric folk).

So... leading theory now is... I am the world's biggest idiot.

I mentioned earlier that the new engine had some race car stuff. One of these things was instead of a PCV valve there is merely a -10 AN fitting. "Great!", I thought. I'll just buy some AN hose and a breather tank/catch can. So, I did exactly that. Now, I have never installed one of these and looking at it I thought it's dead simple. Plumb the crankcase vent (formerly PCV valve) into the catch can, then route the other hose from the catch can back to the intake. What I believe I didn't take into account here is, now the entire vacuum of the intake is pulling oil and crankcase vapors through the catch can and into the intake. Rookie mistake.

So now the hunt is on to find an inline PCV valve that will fit inline with the -10 AN line.

Also, I overfilled the crankcase by 3/4 of a quart somehow (that ~750ml for you metric folk).
hahahaha let me check with the previous owner to see if he has one.

hahahaha let me check with the previous owner to see if he has one.

I found some check valves that fit. Ordered those. Bypassed the catch can to intake hose for now. Car runs great, smokes still, but I imagine with the amount of oil it sucked in, it probably will for a bit.

Currently putting some config files for the Open Flash Tablet to throw one of their canned tunes for a catless header on the car. Then I'll button some things up and take it for a drive. 🤞

Last edited:
Apparently they ran a fancy recirculating catch can system that dumps the oil back into the, uh, oil.
Because, as you know, you kinda want that stuff.

Apparently they ran a fancy recirculating catch can system that dumps the oil back into the, uh, oil.
Because, as you know, you kinda want that stuff.

Saw one like that when I was looking at what I did wrong. Very neat, not in the budget at current.

gassy.jpg

Put about 45 miles on and it seems absolutely fine. The oil seems to be burnt out of the exhaust. The new header makes it do the Subaru Fartâ„¢ noises (a little droney at highway speeds, but eh, it's fine). Only complaint is the idle is crap. Tries to idle at 600 rpm, but then almost dies, then does die, sometimes. I think it's something I can change in the tune.

View attachment 3570833

Put about 45 miles on and it seems absolutely fine. The oil seems to be burnt out of the exhaust. The new header makes it do the Subaru Fartâ„¢ noises (a little droney at highway speeds, but eh, it's fine). Only complaint is the idle is crap. Tries to idle at 600 rpm, but then almost dies, then does die, sometimes. I think it's something I can change in the tune.
600 is a pretty low idle for such a small eninge. I'd imagine it'd be much happier at 850 or so... probably something you can do in the tune, yeah.

PSX_20231106_205715.jpg

PSX_20231106_205626.jpg

PSX_20231106_205753.jpg

Still haven't solved the idle issue, seems to do better once the car is warm, but still just a bit low. Reading up, may have to do with the lightened flywheel. Dunno. Going to mess with the tune and see if that solves it.

Attachments

• PSX_20231106_205715.jpg
    PSX_20231106_205715.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 27
  • PSX_20231106_205626.jpg
    PSX_20231106_205626.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 29
Double check your A/C charge before you go chasing the idle too far. That compressor always hit hard.

1699518165663.png

1699518193527.png

I just noticed I forgot to add the wing.

Last edited:
Me too.