Ownership Verified: CraigB's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru (2013 Subaru BRZ)

One reason would be, if I stay in the class I have been running in, I'm allowed to run larger tires and wider wheels, plus I can go even crazier on the suspension, coilovers, harder bushings, etc. Heck, engine swaps, blowers, turbos, whatever.

The other option is to put it back to nearly stock and just put tires on it. That would cost about the same.
As a learning experience, back to nearly stock and better tires would be my advice.

I wanna see the Patriot break sub 13 seconds!

Well... I did the right thing and ignored what everyone said and ordered big ass wheels, tires, lowering springs and camber bolts. 🤣
You did the right thing, which is "what you wanted".

I wanna see the Patriot break sub 13 seconds!

Maybe if we drop it from a plane.

You did the right thing, which is "what you wanted".

Honestly I'm blaming an engineer from Procharger. We were talking about their C8 Corvette they had at the track yesterday and then he mentioned he came from a road race background. I asked a few questions and what he said made sense, plus... Who doesn't like big ass meats in a car with some useful camber?

Maybe if we drop it from a plane.

It is about as aerodynamic as a brick, so dropping it won't work. May I suggest rockets?

The Patriot is made on the same platform as the Lancer Evo X.

....I'm just saying...

Haven't had a chance to put the coil springs on the almost new struts (found a local guy selling a complete set with 3,000 miles he sold to me for $100), but I was just absolutely jonesing to put the new wheels and tires (17x9 +35 with 255/40 Falken Azenis RT615K+) on and try them out a little around town. All I can say is these are going to transform the car at the autocross course.

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

8.jpg

Do they rub at full lock? Reminds me of the difference in tires when I put 235s on my S10. It would rub at full lock.

Didn't notice any rubbing. I did lots of reading and research trying to find something that would fit without too many compromises.

I got a good deal on a set of wider than normal Chevy slot wheels and lightly used tires and threw them on. It may have been a wheel offset issue that combined with the increased width that caused my problem. I just adapted and never went to full lock.

Keep the car like it is for a while. One thing I was taught as a rookie was to stop futzing. You’ll never get better if you don’t have a chance to get comfortable with the car and improve.

Wheels look good, though, and you’ll appreciate that extra rubber. What’s the weight difference between your old wheel-and-tire setup and your new one?

Keep the car like it is for a while. One thing I was taught as a rookie was to stop futzing. You’ll never get better if you don’t have a chance to get comfortable with the car and improve.

Wheels look good, though, and you’ll appreciate that extra rubber. What’s the weight difference between your old wheel-and-tire setup and your new one?

There's an autocross on an airport in two weeks, I might try to sneak down to and get some seat time with the new tires. Makes sense though, what you said.

I was thinking about it too, there's not a ton of clearance between the tires and the struts, so I'm not sure if I can introduce much camber anyway.

I didn't weigh them, but it's guess at least 5 pounds. There was a certainly a difference. Understandable for that much more tire and wheel. I bought the lightest wheels I could afford, knowing that a set costing 3 times as much would weigh less, and carry much more street cred, but that's something for the future if I start doing good.

Ran at a local SCCA autocross today. I'll just say, the tires have transformed the car. It feels so much more planted, and if it does start to lose traction, it's a lot easier to catch as the transition seems slower.

1000010986.jpg

1000010987.jpg

Even the black wheels are starting to grow on me. 😁

Last edited: