Ownership Verified: CraigB's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru (2013 Subaru BRZ)

You know that water is only for tapping and not for sanding, right? :p

I think *any* compound or polish works for lights generally, Novus #2 and #3 is probably the correct stuff though if you were buying for the first time. #3 is a heavy scratch remover and #2 is a polish, I have no clue why the numbering is backwards.

What exactly do you use to polish them? I have to polish some on a friends car so it will pass next inspection.

I used the Mother's Nu-Lens kit. At first I just tried using the polishing compound and buffer ball, but only got so-so results. Had to sand them to get the pitting and yellow out.

You know that water is only for tapping and not for sanding, right? :p

I think *any* compound or polish works for lights generally, Novus #2 and #3 is probably the correct stuff though if you were buying for the first time. #3 is a heavy scratch remover and #2 is a polish, I have no clue why the numbering is backwards.

It was more than just water, it was soapy water I use to find holes in tires. 🤣

If they aren't bad, sure a little polishing compound will fix them. These certainly were showing their age and mileage.

It was more than just water, it was soapy water I use to find holes in tires. 🤣
Only the best! I can see it does actually say soap water now and not tap water, if your tap water was that colour I'd have more questions.

I used the Mother's Nu-Lens kit. At first I just tried using the polishing compound and buffer ball, but only got so-so results. Had to sand them to get the pitting and yellow out.
Very similar to the Auto Glym kit I used, the sandpaper was essential even on mine. It'll be no surprise that Project Farm did a video on these, although it's a bit old now.

Only the best! I can see it does actually say soap water now and not tap water, if your tap water was that colour I'd have more questions.

Very similar to the Auto Glym kit I used, the sandpaper was essential even on mine. It'll be no surprise that Project Farm did a video on these, although it's a bit old now.

Ah, I get the joke now. No doubt it's difficult to read my chicken scratch.

Wish I had seen that before buying, but the results are good enough. I'm going to keep an eye out for a low mileage replacement set. They come up on Marketplace often. Other BRZ/GT86/FRS guys seem to love to replace their headlights and tail lights with aftermarket more obnoxious units.

MUHAHAHA!

Shit, I gotta drive more! :D

That was what we in the business call A Trip.

I had to turn right around and run straight home to do another vehicular transaction {see elsethread}

1000012845.jpg

Started swapping parts from the old engine to the new. So far I've found there's a few differences in sensors and a thing or two that were done since this was a race engine. Waiting for intake gaskets, oil cooler, oil cooler lines, oil catch can (not 100% needed, but I'm here and the engine has been setup for one), spark plugs (engine came with what I thought was a new full set, but not the case, just want it done before the engine goes in), header, etc. Lots of other parts still to put on. The brake lines will have to wait though. Somehow I got one pair for the rear, but instead of a set for the front, I got an engine harness for an OBD1 Honda... Need to contact the company and see what happened there.

Last edited:
PSX_20231027_233344.jpg

Progress is being made! Engine is in, wiring and plumbing is hooked up (put the fuel lines and serpentine belt on after this photo).

Things for tomorrow are:
Mount oil cooler
Mount crank case vent/catch can
Build lines for oil cooler and catch can
Install header and (sadly) stock over pipe (bigger one is back ordered)
Fill with coolant
Connect battery and look for leaks
Also need to read up on Open Flash Tablet and get it hooked up

That's quick progress!

These are easy cars to work on, despite some very stubborn fasteners. No progress was made yesterday though. Today, I think I'm going to see if I can remove the oil cooler for now, install the header and get it fired up. Then next week, when it warms up, I'll take it to the shop at the track where there's more implements of destruction fabrication to make mounts for the oil cooler and vent/catch can.

Well, there's a small hiccup that has me wondering what to do next. The header is not compatible with the stock overpipe. It's about 1/4"/~6mm shy of connecting and the bolt patterns don't align anyway. I could put the stock header on, and I may, but since I just spent the last two hours wrestling the new header on (it was not a great fit), I don't currently feel that's the right thing to do. Since I am owed an overpipe, I don't really want to buy one, but I might, just keep this moving forward. Ugh...

It's cold and rainy today. I may just spend the rest of the day researching a solution and get back to the car later this week when it warms back up.

They might be easy cars to work on, but aftermarket parts are hit and miss as with any car apparently.