Ownership Verified: CraigB's Correct-Wheel-Drive Lesbaru (2013 Subaru BRZ)

Chop the roof off and the noisy mechanical parts won't be a concern because you won't be able to hear them.

In all fairness I can't image the GTBREightyZSix was really designed to live to nearly 300K miles. It's doing well.

In all fairness I can't image the GTBREightyZSix was really designed to live to nearly 300K miles. It's doing well.
Is/was any car from the last decade (or two) designed or built to live 300k miles? Doesn't mean they can't, but I don't think it is very high on any manufacturers list of demands.

But then again I think most manufacturers expect the average user will simply buy a new car well before that because they don't want to be seen in an older car.

Aw man, just 60,000 more than my Mercedes at 211,000mi….

Also, when did cars get really good for longevity?

Aw man, just 60,000 more than my Mercedes at 211,000mi….

Also, when did cars get really good for longevity?

The 1990s. Lots of old Nissan trucks, Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, etc. made it to 250k, 300k and 400k miles.

Hell, a few years back I was in a Chevrolet Venture minivan that was being used as a taxi in Florence, South Carolina that had nearly 500k miles.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance, you don't keep it lubed with good oils it'll break on you.

The 1990s. Lots of old Nissan trucks, Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, etc. made it to 250k, 300k and 400k miles.
Over here it's 80s Merc and 90s Volvo that are the standard bearers of "barely run in at half a million".

Over here it's 80s Merc and 90s Volvo that are the standard bearers of "barely run in at half a million".
Toyota 4x4's can be added to that list, even for the more recent ones 500.000+km's is no exception. Our Toyota Hilux'es at work get used, abused and beaten and not a single one leaves the company with less than 300.000km's on the clock (unless they end up in a crash). Earlier this weak I drove one from 2013 with just under 400k km on it and if you told me it had only done 150k I would have believed you. And apart from regular oil change they try to cheap out on them as much as possible.
Don't know if the more recent ones will do the same though.

But apparently you can do it with a Ferrari F430 too: http://www.joymotors.com/sell/sell_view.php?num=10871

I agree with all the above, I'd definitely expect late 80s German cars and mid-late 90s Japanese cars to keep going forever.

They definitely weren't designed with that in mind in the last 10-15 years because they realised they were doing themselves out of sales! Great o see that it's still possible.

There is an ongoing rumor that VW made the rustproofing on the MK3 Golf deliberately worse because especially post facelift Mk2s just refused to rust at all.

This car is amazing, that it works at all with that mileage. Proof that Toyota is still the business when it comes to reliability.

This and it's Toyota twin are made at a Subaru plant.

A few things have changed over the years to improve reliability across the board.

First, competition has forced automakers to tighten manufacturing tolerances.

Second, improved computers and fuel injection systems made engines run much cleaner.

Third, lubricants vastly improved from the late 70s/ early 80s.

These 3 things alone have changed how long vehicles last. Add in a multitude of other improvements that make the bodies and interiors last longer, and people take better care of a vehicle over a longer period of time.

I remember when it was commonly said, a Chevy will run badly longer than a Toyota will run. Both of those have changed over that time.

In the past, the transmission always quieted down some after a fluid change.
*NOTHING* will ever compare to the godawful racket when the throwout bearing went out tho.

It was never a particularly civilized car, though. Lots of talking loudly at the speakerphone.

PSX_20230507_165130.jpg

PSX_20230507_165050.jpg

PSX_20230507_165023.jpg

PSX_20230507_164955.jpg

Finally got some photos of the car at the autocross last week.

I started out slow and gained a little each of the six runs, except for one where I managed to end up in the grass. Finished 4 of 6 in the category behind my friend's LS swapped FD RX-7 and a couple with a well sorted late model WRX that would just rip around the track.

I am torn folks...

I have been looking at 17x9 wheels with some 200 treadwear tires (semi-autocross tires) and lowering springs. Problem I having is the fact all this is going to cost me as much I bought the car for... Am I crazy or should I just work on driving the car better the way it is (I was 3 seconds behind my friend's RX-7 and 6 behind the fast guy and gal in the WRX). I know it's not all car, but I was sliding all over the place on these 460 treadwear surely didn't help.

Any input?

Why don't you start with just the tires? See how that goes first, and then start thinking of messing with the suspension, if ever.

One reason would be, if I stay in the class I have been running in, I'm allowed to run larger tires and wider wheels, plus I can go even crazier on the suspension, coilovers, harder bushings, etc. Heck, engine swaps, blowers, turbos, whatever.

The other option is to put it back to nearly stock and just put tires on it. That would cost about the same.

I am torn folks...

I have been looking at 17x9 wheels with some 200 treadwear tires (semi-autocross tires) and lowering springs. Problem I having is the fact all this is going to cost me as much I bought the car for... Am I crazy or should I just work on driving the car better the way it is (I was 3 seconds behind my friend's RX-7 and 6 behind the fast guy and gal in the WRX). I know it's not all car, but I was sliding all over the place on these 460 treadwear surely didn't help.

Any input?

SRT-4 swap the Patriot. :D