Ownership Verified: CraigB's rear engined, air cooled... Kubota?

I was raised to not care about a briggs motor as long as there’s *some* oil in there. If you can be bothered to check to begin with.

I think a 3-cylinder Smart Roadster engine would fit well on that thing. I'm not really in to little engines bobbins for stuff like this, my neighbours have a petrol power and by the time they've got it started they're done. Plus it seems to have very little control and scalps the lawn. I like the look of the big electric Ryobi mower.

1650559925839.png

You too can look that smug! I've been trying to convince my dad to get a Makita mower to take advantage of the spring deals with free batteries, of course they aren't giving those away this year...

You too can look that smug! I've been trying to convince my dad to get a Makita mower to take advantage of the spring deals with free batteries, of course they aren't giving those away this year...

I ordered one of those €199 2x18V mower packs for my parents. Still to this day I'm kicking myself for not getting one for the cottage as well because I'm getting tired of the Briggs & Stratton we have there.

By the way, it's funny how US homeowners with mowers seem to like the zero turn ones. I like the "Rider" style, it's all I've ever used unless you count the useless tractor style. Would like to try a zero turn to compare the two.

kv-573323.png

I ordered one of those €199 2x18V mower packs for my parents. Still to this day I'm kicking myself for not getting one for the cottage as well because I'm getting tired of the Briggs & Stratton we have there.

By the way, it's funny how US homeowners with mowers seem to like the zero turn ones. I like the "Rider" style, it's all I've ever used unless you count the useless tractor style. Would like to try a zero turn to compare the two.

View attachment 3564660

Nah, old fucks like zero turn or these weird “almost like I’m driving a stool” type. The younger ones like the John Deere style where the engine is in the front.

Nah, old fucks like zero turn or these weird “almost like I’m driving a stool” type. The younger ones like the John Deere style where the engine is in the front.
Is Craig an old fuck? :D

I think a 3-cylinder Smart Roadster engine would fit well on that thing. I'm not really in to little engines bobbins for stuff like this, my neighbours have a petrol power and by the time they've got it started they're done. Plus it seems to have very little control and scalps the lawn. I like the look of the big electric Ryobi mower.

View attachment 3564659

That was part of the impetuous to fix mine. The Ryobi 52" 48v mower is like $5500 and no one has any until mid May. My lawn needs mowed now. Well two weeks ago, but who is counting?

There's also the thing about a new mower being 5 times what it'll cost to fix mine and mine being nearly worthless blown up.

Is Craig an old fuck? :D

Probably.

We for years mowed with the conventional type of mower at the track, it wasn't even a good one. Something dad got at Lowe's for like $1000. I spent years chasing issues on it to keep it going. Then we bought a used Hustler commercial zero turn with a diesel. It mowed faster, had nearly another meter of deck, etc. Then we bought the diesel Kubota zero turn that we still use today at the same time I bought mine. Holy crap will that thing fly. You can't mow as fast as it will go because the ground is too rough from racers rutting the place up, but if it were smooth you can mow at full tilt. Mine isn't quite as powerful as that, but it did make it where I could mow in an hour rather than two.

I'd definitely pick a zero-turn, so it's not just an old fuck's preference. I blame growing up with Robot Wars, so anything that can spin on the spot is basically sold to me immediately. Yes, I would buy a Rivian to do 360 degree 'tank' turns.

With these things being hydraulic I'm surprised there aren't kits to make them battery powered, I'm sure the one you have it better made than the Ryobi so converting it would make a lot more sense. Or you could get some old gang mowers and tow them around the yard with the BRZ or something. 😀

With these things being hydraulic I'm surprised there aren't kits to make them battery powered, I'm sure the one you have it better made than the Ryobi so converting it would make a lot more sense. Or you could get some old gang mowers and tow them around the yard with the BRZ or something. 😀

It would be possible to convert it to electric, you'd need a motor to run the hydraulic drive and a second for the deck. Wouldn't be a huge deal, but not something I want to tackle.

I thought about buying a gas powered pull behind mower and using the side by side from the track to pull it, but there's so many trees and obstacles that is spend a lot of time weed eating.

I'd definitely pick a zero-turn, so it's not just an old fuck's preference. I blame growing up with Robot Wars, so anything that can spin on the spot is basically sold to me immediately. Yes, I would buy a Rivian to do 360 degree 'tank' turns.

This is what I'm thinking of

1650572493446.png

And I think you're thinking of this.

1650572636239.png

This is what I'm thinking of

And I think you're thinking of this.
Totally, but I thought only the two-wheeled ones were called zero-turn. At least, that's all I get when I Google it.

What you really need is this lethal toss:
1650582035140.png

Oh... and I confirmed this is entirely my fault. Hour meter reads nearly 200 and I only recall changing the oil once (besides Saturday's hail Mary).
You know, I should probably change the erl on mine... I don't think I've *EVER* done it.

I have the 'useless tractor type' but thankfully not many edges so can cope with the poor cornering. Coil packs arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed...
Oh come on, you're telling me you've never wanted to fab up a tow bar so you can drag gang mowers around with one of the Austins? 😀

Or maybe get one of these:
1650644509683.png

Sorry if I've helped in devolving this into a general lawn mower thread, we should probably have one of those anyway.

Mine is flatter, has more trees, and oddly, less cars.

What about sheep? They would solve your mower problem. lol