Crashgate

Booo for French court justice! Booo!

French Court + France's state owned car company F1 team Renault = Justice obviously!

Now see why I detest the EU - its the same for everything, no one - pretty much - apart from us "plays by the rules".

Oh here we go with the EU again, it doesn't have anything to do with this, neither does Renault.

Slimy Italian winning a case against FIA which is traditionally very French is something though.

It is an attitude of mind (Italians for instance have thousands of regulations and minor laws - not one of which is paid any attention to and is not enforced) - and yes it does have to do with this.

Had that been a British Team in a French court do you think for one second the FIA decision would be overturned - like hell it would.

It was not Renault in the court, it was Flavio and Symonds (a Brit!) against FIA.

Still nothing to do with the European Union. Sure some member states are bad and half arsed with enforcing the EU regulations, but this has nothing to with it.

FIA needs to check their legal fine prints if they can't enforce a life-long ban for someone. It's not that uncommon in other sports for cheating (doping) and you don't hear them complaining. By having a license to FIA events you accept the rules and penalties, how hard that can be?

Now it's in the news that Flavio is considering legal action against Kovalainen and di Grassi who he used to manage before he was banned.

French Court + France's state owned car company F1 team Renault = Justice obviously!

Wait - when Pat and Flavio got banned while Renault got away, the whole forum (a few pages back in the thread) said it was cause it was a french manufacturer in a french court and thus fixed, now they are back in F1 and again it's cause the french justice system prefers Renault? Guys, that's paranoid and inconclusive!

^ There have been several cases of French favoritism in the history of the FIA (FISA/CSI). "French results" were commonplace in the 1970s and even 1980s.

^ There have been several cases of French favoritism in the history of the FIA (FISA/CSI). "French results" were commonplace in the 1970s and even 1980s.

That might be true - but still you got to chose if banning Flavio means favoring the French or if lifting his ban does.

Guys, you're missing the point of the over-turning of the ban. The French courts aren't saying he wasn't guilty, or that he shouldn't be punished.

The French courts are basically saying that it's likely the FIA's verdict was pursued to settle a personal vendetta, which is true as I see it. Going after one of the three equally culpable culprits and letting the other two off free, the investigation and punishment originating from a man who essentially lost his job and was made into a global villain and fool by Flavio, very publically - doesn't smell like justice, even if Flavio does deserve to be out of F1.

"FIA to appeal Briatore case verdict" says Autosport.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80801
"However, in view of the uncertainty that this may create for drivers who may be affected by this decision, the FIA President and FIA Senate have decided that, pending the outcome of the FIA's appeal, Superlicences will continue to be issued to qualifying drivers in the usual way.
Well that is most sensible, it was out of order in the first place.

But yeah, it will take a while before this is done and settled. :rolleyes:

Piquet: I had an F1 offer for this season

Nelson Piquet Jr. has revealed that he was offered a Formula One drive for the coming season but turned it down in favour of NASCAR because he is "sick and tired" of aggravation stemming from the Renault race-fix scandal.

The 24-year-old Brazilian, who did not reveal which team had approached him, tested in Florida last week with the Red Horse Racing team in NASCAR's Camping World truck series.

"I could have been there if I wanted to. A team offered me to be there," Piquet told the Speed TV website.

"I just thought I was sick and tired of all of the stuff over there.

"I just took a decision of starting a new step in my career and a new challenge in coming to NASCAR."

Piquet blew the whistle on the controversy during the summer when, shortly after being sacked by the Renault team, he informed the FIA that he had conspired with senior managers to cause a deliberate crash during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

The idea was that Piquet's crash would boost the chances of team-mate Fernando Alonso, who went on to win the race.

Renault were handed a suspended permanent ban while former team boss Flavio Briatore was given a lifetime exclusion, a sanction overturned by a Paris court this month subject to appeal by the FIA.

With his F1 career now seemingly behind him, Piquet added that he was keen to press on and make a name for himself in the United States, this time for the right reasons.

"For a lot of people who are outside of America, it's a downgrade," he said of his move.

"But in terms of career, of how big the sport is in a lot of ways, it's even a tougher step than F1.

"The level of competition and the seriousness and the business of both series are very, very high. I was just sick and tired of things over there. I got a very, very good opportunity over here to start my career here and I'm here."

Truckie doesn't count :p

Truckie doesn't count :p

I'm sorry, truckies which work in F1 teams can handle big beasts in tiny spaces FAR better than Nelson could handle F1 cars out there. :lol: If PK Jr. were a truckie, he'd crash the truck every time he brought it into the paddock. Never mind when parking it. :lol:

I think his offer was to be a bartender in the Red Bull Energy Station, TBH.

Piquets to sue Briatore

Former F1 driver Nelson Piquet and his father of the same name have launched a libel court action against Flavio Briatore.

The Daily Mail newspaper is reporting that the pair are seeking ?200,000 in compensation through the High Court in London.

The suit centres around the Singapore race-fixing scandal, during which Piquet deliberately crashed. He then revealed his actions a year later, after he had been fired for his lack of performance.

The Piquets claim rests on a a press release issued by Renault which accused the them of giving false evidence to the FIA and blackmailing the team. It added that Briatore would pursue Piquet criminally in France and Britain.

Renault, who ousted Briatore when it was clear that Piquet's accusations were not false, withdrew the legal threats but did not apologise.

"Given Renault F1's failure to accept the Piquets' invitation to withdraw the allegations and apologise, they feel they have no other choice but to demonstrate the falsity of these allegations in court," said the Piquets' lawyer Dominic Crossley.

This smells like Bernie and Flav planned it from the beginning:

FIA, Briatore reach settlement
Formula 1's ruling body has put an end to its dispute with former Renault members Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds after reaching a settlement with the duo.

Both Briatore and Symonds had been banned from the sport for their involvement in the 2008 race-fixing scandal in the Singapore Grand Prix.

Their ban, however, had been overturned by a French court because of irregularities in the process.

The FIA said it was considering appealing the decision, but that has been ruled out after reaching an agreement with the former Renault men.

The agreement means neither Briatore or Symonds will be allowed to work in Formula 1 until the start of 2013 and in any other competitions registered on the FIA calendars until the end of the 2011 season.

In a statement released on Monday, the FIA said both Briatore and Symonds had expressed regret and apologised for their actions.

"In return, they have asked the FIA to abandon the ongoing appeal procedure, but without the FIA recognising the validity of the criticisms levelled against the WMSC's decision of 21 September 2009, as well as to waive the right to bring any new proceedings against them on the subject of this affair," the FIA said.

"Considering that the judgment of 5 January 2010 concerned only the form and not the substance of the WMSC's decision of 21 September 2009, and that the undertakings and renunciation of all claims expressed by Mr Flavio Briatore and Mr Pat Symonds are in line with what the WMSC is seeking, the FIA President has considered that it is in the best interests of the FIA not to allow the perpetuation of these legal disputes, which have received a great deal of media coverage and which, regardless of the outcome, are very prejudicial to the image of the FIA and of motor sport, and thus to accept this settlement solution, thereby putting an end to this affair."

The ruling body also said it was working on a structural reform to review its statutes to "prevent other misunderstandings," refering to the French court verdict.

Short version: Flav can return to F1 in 2013. And i bet he will.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82844

Is good, no? Back in business. Great success.

I don't want Flavio Briatore back on the pitlane. :|

This sucks...

I don't want Flavio Briatore back on the pitlane. :|