Crashgate

Nasty. So does the 2 year ban take effect immediately for the rest of this year and THEN 2 more years or after this year ?

Suspended for how long? That's critical, because that's the period the team needs to keep a careful eye on its progress and not to p*ss off the FIA, because if they do, the suspended ban turns to an active ban.

Nasty. So does the 2 year ban take effect immediately for the rest of this year and THEN 2 more years or after this year ?

Suspended ban. It doesn't take effect, unless the team transgresses the rules again in a similar manner.

the FIA's press release concerning the hearing says that the ban will be suspended until the end of the 2011 season and "The World Motor Sport Council will only activate this disqualification if Renault F1 is found guilty of a comparable breach during that time."

ETA: looks like a few drivers will be looking for new managers as well:

FIA said:
Furthermore, it does not intend to renew any Superlicence granted to any driver who is associated (through a management contract or otherwise) with Mr. Briatore, or any entity or individual associated with Mr. Briatore.

Last edited:
the FIA's press release concerning the hearing says that the ban will be suspended until the end of the 2011 season and "The World Motor Sport Council will only activate this disqualification if Renault F1 is found guilty of a comparable breach during that time."

So if they don't mess up and break the infamous 151c again until the end of 2011, they're off the hook. :)

I didn't want this to happen. :(

What? They're not actually banned. They'll be banned for two years if they break 151c as severely as this again before the end of 2011.

I didn't want Briatore banned for life. :(

Ooh... So you like his "is like this, no, like that, is like napkin, you put over thing, like this, f*ck"?

</flavspeak>

I just think he's a great character who loves F1. Add to that the fact he gave Michael Schumacher his first full time drive and got Alonso his first drive in F1 shows the significant role he has played in F1's history over the last 20 years.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how the bans on Briatore and Symmonds will work in practice. FIA has the right to deny both from entering FIA sanctioned events and take away the licences they'd require to take part in events but I'd assume that's where their jurisdiction ends. I'm fairly sure EU would have something to say in FIA revoking the superlicenses from Alonso, Webber, Kovalainen and Grosjean because they are affiliated with Briatore, or denying an F1 team the entry to the sport if Symmonds would be affiliated with the team in some way.

Those things aside, I'd say a fairly reasonable decision from FIA.

That's too lenient! That's just like letting them go free!

Ahh... Touche. Forgot about that part. :)

Does this mean Alonso and Grosjean(sp?) have to change teams?

Last edited:
Very interesting indeed. I think its a fair punishment except for Piquet escaping scot free, although I guess the damage to his reputation is enough.

Given that 99.9% of Renault employees presumably had no idea it is unfair to cost them their jobs and passion. Symonds is a great mind and he sure as hell won't do it again so its good that he will be allowed back at some stage.

Does this mean an end to Briatore's QPR management??

Does this mean an end to Briatore's QPR management??

Probably. The league has already made a comment saying they were watching this very closely. Now, will it be a quiet or loud eviction idk.

Oh, and here lies Renault F1. I'm sorry, I just can't see them back next year.