Creationism vs. Evolution

*Awaiting announce with the rest of the world* :)

Viva il Papa!
How old was John Paul II when he was appointed Pope, because Pope Benedict XVI is 78 years old. :shock:

They don't wanna be stuck with a pope for a long time.

man, you figure they would've picked a younger guy

EDIT: one second after viper posted the answer :)

Seems like they voted for a conservative Pope. If anything like a conservative Pope exists. Ratzinger has a history of action against liberal endeavors from the German pastoral staff.

:lol: @ jeffy777

78? And he's German?

I wanted a 60-something year-old third world Pope from South America. Germans don't go to church anymore (or that's what I hear).

I talked about it with my father yesterday. He believed that a Southern American Pope would be most likely. I told him that I don't think so. People in Southern America are still attending church, while the numbers of church attenders in Europe minifies every year. It makes sense if you think about it. They need to strengthen the numbers of believers in Europe.

^ thats what i read in financial times as well in an article about the choice of pope

[edit] wow, 3 posts at the same time :)

originally it was meant to be a reply to JoeBlo1's statement :) btw, i do agree with u as well ;)

swek said:
I talked about it with my father yesterday. He believed that a Southern American Pope would be most likely. I told him that I don't think so. People in Southern America are still attending church, while the numbers of church attenders in Europe minifies every year. It makes sense if you think about it. They need to strengthen the numbers of believers in Europe.

Yeah, it does make sense. But PJPII was Polish and for that past 26 years his papalcy did not succeed in preventing Europeans from embracing secularism.

Hopefully Europe still clings on to their predominately Catholic customs in this century.

general said:
congrats to all christians.I wish we Muslims could unite under one good board of commands.

All Christians don't follow the pope. Protestants are protesting against the catholic church. Atleast that's what it used to mean....

I don't think a lot of protestants are aware of that anymore.

JoeBlo1 said:
Yeah, it does make sense. But PJPII was Polish and for that past 26 years his papalcy did not succeed in preventing Europeans from embracing secularism.

I don't know much about the circumstances surrounding the election of JPII, but I imagine it was more of a gesture towards the Christians trapped behind the iron curtain, not Europeans in general.

Only Catholics follow the Pope, but there are over 1 billion of them so its no small deal. I was born Catholic (I'm Filipino) but switched to Evangelical/born-again/something-I-don't-know-the-name-of after moving to Canada. Catholic mass is really boring I have to admit.