CSS issues with IE

Ruth.Adele

Car(s)
Ford Fiesta
Hi all,

I am a newbie to web designing (this is my first job!) and i'm having a few issues with IE (Firefox, Safari, Opera all work fine)
This is also the only forum i frequent, so if anyone knows any good web developing forums, i'd love a link to it!

So - my issue is: i have used css to make hover links, here's the css i've used:

#footer {
width: 843px;
height: 58px;
clear: both;
overflow: hidden;
}

#footer ul {
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
}

#footer li {
float: left;
}

#footer li a {
display: block;
height: 58px;
padding: 58px 0 0 0;
overflow: hidden;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

#footer li a:hover {
background-position: 0 -58px;
}

This is what i get in firefox:

screenshotmist2.jpg

And this is what i get in IE:

screenshotmist.jpg

Does anyone know a solution to this?
Thanks,
Ruth.

exact position is always a pain, some times it works in one browser but not others etc

Thanks for your ideas, I've decided to ditch the css for this and go for a html solution - using behaviours to make the rollovers work. and the little dots i figured out were from the unordered list. if anyone wants to see the finished site, it will be up by the end of june. www.mist.net.au
Thanks!! :)

probably the most reliable solution, the age old solution was to put things in tables but that's one of the things CSS was supposed to fix :p

May I point you in the direction of jQuery? It's a simple and stylish javascript based alternative that's easy to integrate, it works like a dream for rollovers and slideshows.
You'll learn what you need to know here :)
I've been using it in my latest project without any problems.

Oh, and don't get me started on IE... It's a pain in the ass for any web developer.

probably the most reliable solution, the age old solution was to put things in tables but that's one of the things CSS was supposed to fix :p

You should be beaten with a hammer.

May I point you in the direction of jQuery? It's a simple and stylish javascript based alternative that's easy to integrate, it works like a dream for rollovers and slideshows.
You'll learn what you need to know here :)
I've been using it in my latest project without any problems.

Oh, and don't get me started on IE... It's a pain in the ass for any web developer.

While jQuery is awesome, a site should never require Javascript to work IMO. Javascript should only add functionality, not create it.

We should have a thread for web developing thoughts and discussion, I think lots of us Final Gear users do some coding from time to time, doesn't have to be professional. We could share some of our knowledge. I for example would really like to get into JSON to combine with jQuery but don't know alot about JSON.

Oh the joys of supporting IE. Fortunately, I no longer get payed to do that, so I can try to forget the horrors. In general, using relative positioning can help.

As for web development threads, start one like this whenever you have a question or rant and I'm sure people will jump in.

We should have a thread for web developing thoughts and discussion, I think lots of us Final Gear users do some coding from time to time, doesn't have to be professional. We could share some of our knowledge. I for example would really like to get into JSON to combine with jQuery but don't know alot about JSON.

JSON is the XML of Javascript basically. It's just a structure for transmitting data (arrays, etc.) that's easily parsed.

http://api.jquery.com/jQuery.getJSON/