Dad's best/coolest car

Triumph TR6, like this one.

red-triumph-tr6.JPG

Porsche 944, shit car, but looked good.

p9443.jpg

I think CraigB wins this thread, but the coolest car my dad had was his first, a Mini, like this one.
1d7e9b6d4037b85b89cc9a0d4ac1f90e_zpsb47c3330.jpg

I think CraigB wins this thread,

How many internets do I get for my win?

Other than that he's always had trucks or Suburbans. He did have a '67 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 at one point. I should dig through his photo albums and find a picture of all the drag cars he had.

My father had a Opel Corsa GT just like this one:
Corsa%20GT%2088%20PE.jpg

It was crushed in 2008 :cry: God i hate crushers...

And this was his frist car:

1988 Renault 4L GTL
Renault-4-Gtl-Carros_435219831_3.jpg

I'm going to restore this exact car...sometime in the future...:D

And:

1977_ltd_ii_squire_stv.jpg

(dont care what anyone says...that was a badass car!)

Ugh, my mom had that in green. I still remember the odd smell of the Ford plastics and carpeting/adhesive chemicals, and the prancing lions everywhere. And the horizontal linear speedometer. The steering wheel was hardly even connected to the front wheels. You could fit smaller fingers into the body gaps. I never, ever thought that car was badass. Bad, and ass, separately, yes.

Although, it did have a rumble seat...

Last edited:
Dad always said his most memorable car was a 1977 Datsun 180b SSS Coupe in Maroon like this:

4353477278_d28820cf35_z.jpg

Personally, I am a fan of his current ride, a 1966 Ford Mustang Notchback :)

Mustang_9_Large.jpg

That Datsun looks so cool. You don't really see any of those around.

Also, Ford full sized wagons are badass, no matter what. In fact, full sized wagons are just badass.

1992_ford_ranger-pic-6470529231560535586.jpeg

But that's since I've been alive. He had an old Dodge Dart, a mid 80s Mustang, and a Bronco II before I was born.

The '92 Ranger was pretty cool. I can remember listening to Rush tapes at the loudest volume possible with the windows down and him singing to Geddy Lee.

It met it's demise by my older brother. He rear ended someone. The aftermath looked like he hit a pole. :blink:

Woah, I still have a photo of it....

imga0658.jpg

At the time he needed tires but didn't want to pay for them. Had a friend who got new wheels and tires on his Wrangler.

Last edited:
I talked with my dad about this car tonight. Best he got it to run was 11.80s, but he could never get it to shift into second gear. It would go straight from first into third. He also had a 390 and a 4-speed in the car, but it grenaded due to having the wrong oil filter on the only run it made with that setup.

It's insane how much times have changed. I know he couldn't get it to shift into second which slowed it down, but still -- my car on factory street tires is faster than that purpose built race car on drag radials. :shock: Apparently under the right conditions my car can even get into the 10's. Now imagine it with drag radials...

Anyway, my dad's 1967 Triumph TR250 is currently being restored (engine out, whole thing repainted, etc.) so I'll wait to post pictures of it until it's done. He's owned the thing like 40 years though. :eek:

It looks like this, but green, no fog lights, and larger Panasport wheels for a more muscular look:

800px-Triumph_TR250_dutch_licence_registration_DH-88-00-.JPG

Last edited:
'66 or '67 Ford Fairlane GTA (he can't remember which year it was). 390 bored 0.060" over, headers, cam, etc.

Also cool in an oddball kind of way was his '64 Mercury Monterey.

It's insane how much times have changed. I know he couldn't get it to shift into second which slowed it down, but still -- my car on factory street tires is faster than that purpose built race car on drag radials. :shock: Apparently under the right conditions my car can even get into the 10's. Now imagine it with drag radials...

We are talking 30 years difference though. A lot can change in that amount of time. Plus, those are drag slicks, not radials.

I'd guess my dad's coolest car would be the '77 Chrysler New Yorker, in white with maroon vinyl roof, something like this:

0_DSC02445.JPG

Triumph GT6, sadly before I was born:

(generic picture from wikipedia)
1973.triumph.gt6.red.arp.jpg

We are talking 30 years difference though. A lot can change in that amount of time. Plus, those are drag slicks, not radials.

I was under the impression that "radial" referenced the steel belting in the carcass, not the tread.

I was under the impression that "radial" referenced the steel belting in the carcass, not the tread.

Yes, but most slicks are bias ply construction. A few manufacturers make radial slicks.

You have four types of drag tires:

Front Runner - Available in a few different diameters, 24"-28" in 15" and 17" wheel sizes in bias-ply and a few starting to crop up in radial. As the name implies, they go on the front, unless it's a FWD car.

Drag Radial - These vary from a Nitto 555R (which is a slightly sticker street tire) to the Mickey Thompson 275x (which is a tire built specifically for drag racing and is street legal, but not recommended for street use).

"Cheater" Slick - These are built like a wrinkle wall drag slick, but have a few grooves in them to make them DOT legal. They aren't really meant to be driven on the street, but I've done it without issue. I've only ever seen these in bias-ply construction.

Drag Slick - Like I said above most are bias-ply, but a few are radial construction (mainly for the stiffer sidewall). They feature no tread and just a few spots used for wear indication.

Pops once had a Cutlass 442 convertible that was red with white stripes. i never saw it and i don't have a photo of it. every time i brought home a V8 car he would say it rumbles like the Cutlass did. he says it looked just like this one but it only had the hood stripes not the side stripes...

2010_03241972Olds442W30Vert0004.jpg

My Dad's coolest car is the car he have now.

Chevrolet Captiva 3.0 V6 AWD:

Capi-41.jpg

Exactly like the one in the picture but it is silver.