Dads car caught fire....sob

FatYao

Car(s)
E34 520i
i have absolutely no idea why i am making so many posts today (for me at least) guess im just really free.. anyways this all started a few days back when my dad returned from work, his car was giving off a very strong petrol scent and it got into every part of the house, my mom kept urging him to get it checked, and so he called the mechanic , but the thing is, the mechanic forgot to collect it, and so my dad drove it to work for a few more days, and finally he decides to take it to the workshop by himself, along the way, the engine catches fire and of all paces, right in front of a police station! anywaynone of the police dared go near, saying it would be dangerous and so they had to wait for the 'experts' as they put it to arrive and by then... this is what happened.
http://img493.imageshack.**/img493/7441/copyofdscn34003ti.th.jpghttp://img493.imageshack.**/img493/2554/dscn34024oa.th.jpg
so very sad now :cry: .... had the car for almost 11 years, and i was supposed to be next to drive it after i get my license...oh well... so what do u guys think? is the car now a write off? my dad is still waiting for the mechanics evaluation before the insurance claim can be done.... sigh... The moral of the story? do not put off till tomorrow what u can do today i guess...

:(

I have a small fire-extinguisher in my trunk.
Not that I need it with my car, but it's a left-over habit from one of my previous cars which had a tendency to start small fires around the distributer. :lol:

A similar incident happened to my neighbor a while ago......she turned the ignition on a after a couple of seconds the hood was on fire. She later brought the car in to the mechanic, and was found that she cranked the starter for too long, and after years of abuse it finally blew up. Moral of the story: let go of the key once the engine starts.

Damn - that ain't good at all!
Let us know what they say caused it - if they work it out.

But that's definately a write off. There's no one who will pay for repairing that car - it's going to cost far more than the car is worth to get it up and running again...

MXM said:
I really doubt insurance will pay for repair of that. They'll just write it off, cheaper to buy another one.
Yep. Engine and such are all totalled due to the heat.

:oops: sori about that...there is a fire extinguisher in the boot... but it finished before the fire could be put out... so very sori... didnt realise i posted it in the wrong section..... :unsure: it wont happen again.

:( Poor Pug, hope everything works out with a new car.

Lukhas said:
French cars tend to burn for any reason these days :)

:lol:

(quietly hopes his Pug doesn't also spontaneously combust...)

Bump? My dad got a 'new' car, a 520 bmw! the E34 if im not mistaken... the insurance took a large part of forever to pay up,the mechanic finally came to the conclusion that it burned because the carburator (is that how its spelt?) was leaking. and when they did, they told my dad that the peugeot was overinsured by 5k and that they would only pay him market value, which is about 13k ringgit, this was around about march this year, then my dad almost got the new civic, he actually put a deposit for one but was given a 7 month wait and halfway through (about june i think), he was recommended this car by his mechanic and so he got it, 28k so he was very happy at the money he saved, (a civic is over 120k) so yeah, the condition is very good. im going to try and drive it soon! a bit intimidated by the size of the thing though, its much bigger than the kancil i learned to drive in. =p Oh and Thanks for all the kind words!

Last edited: