Ownership Verified: Daily driver: Fiat Stilo

geeman

suomiface
Car(s)
Toyota Corolla,Chevrolet Corvette,Alfa Romeo Mito

This is my new daily driver. It's a Fiat Stilo with a 1.4l engine. It's from 2005, two previous owners and a bit under 140k km on the clock. Quite a change in pace from the Coup?, but it has everything I need for daily driving including working aircon.
The tow bar and the sticker from the window are coming off soon. Not sure about the extra lights.

I traded in the Coup? for this because it proved to be more trouble than it was worth. It kept sucking all my money, it kept breaking down and it had too many things that still would have needed to be fixed for it to be good as I would have liked. I didn't get to drive it much either during the summer and the times I did drive it always felt something was going to break or fall off. All in all I wasted a lot of money on it and didn't get much enjoyment in return. I also needed a car for the coming winter. So it was time to cut my losses and get something else.

I do plan on getting another, more exciting car sometime during 2013...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Stilo didn't sell nearly as many as it deserved, beacuse it honestly isn't a bad car. I chalk the crappy sales numbers up to the crappy sales organization.

The lights will stand out a lot less if you remove the awful rally covers. The housings on that kind of lamp can be (re)painted pretty easily if you want, but I don't think neither red (like the car) nor black (like the grille) would make things better.

Last edited:
Another 6-Speed, once sat in an 1.2 6-Speed Stilo - but my friend's 1.8 was 5-speed, never understood that...

The lights will stand out a lot less if you remove the awful rally covers. The housings on that kind of lamp can be (re)painted pretty easily if you want, but I don't think neither red (like the car) nor black (like the grille) would make things better.
The housings are light blue, which makes them stand out even more. But yeah, painting them in any color won't really make them fit. I will probably leave them on for the winter and take them off in the spring.

Another 6-Speed, once sat in an 1.2 6-Speed Stilo - but my friend's 1.8 was 5-speed, never understood that...
I guess it's so that gear ratios can be closer for better acceleration with the smaller engines.

Stilo :clap::thumbsup: I approve, so very much. And it's red.

Always liked the Stilo design-wise. Congratulations with the car!

I guess it's so that gear ratios can be closer for better acceleration with the smaller engines.

I've got a six-speed in my 1.4 Punto and while 6th is nice for cruising on the motorway, 1 through 5 are ridiculously close together. First is pretty much useless and I drive 50 km/h in 4th and 70 km/h in 5th gear.
That also means I sometimes have to drop 2 gears to get some overtaking performance (which is pretty decent in fourth gear between 3500 and 5000rpm :p).

You better make that an Alfa, a 164, or maybe an old Giulia, because that Fiat is just a machine you sit into to exchange some time to some distance, and not at a particularly good rate either.

It won't probably be italian. I have already decided that the car needs to be RWD (or AWD). Also I don't believe in cars with more than two doors. So the problem is there is that the choice of italian cars with those specs is a bit poor unless you happen to be very rich.

^ One of the few viable options.

Or a Fiat X1/9

Also, nice stilo you got there :)

Cleaned and filled with fuel.

Also these were revealed :(

Last edited:
atta boy... living up to its reputation.

Huh, those stories about Finnish winters, salt and what it does to cars must be true. Newer Fiats (2000 onwards) have very, very little trouble with rust in the EU. My Punto for example has very little paint left on the very bottom of the bodywork (bare metal, thanks to free sandblasting during and after winters) and it just won't rust...

#gear.fi meet broke the Stilo. Most likely the clutch. :(

It is now sitting at a repair shop somewhere in Kouvola.

Well, at least it goes according to plan. ;)

Sorry to hear. How many km's did you do since the purchase? And did you do a service since then?

The garage I bought my current banger from had a well kept 2.4 170hp and very cheap Stilo example for sale, and I did actually consider it for a moment. - Granted, from behind and the sides the Stilo looks like it had a few cakes, but it's modest and restraint styled.

Last edited: