Daily Mail accuse Clarkson of Lying about "I can't ride a motorcycle"

I saw the show. Clarkson's right - he can't ride. He sucks.

I also saw the blonde Australian tourist. I don't blame him for playing dumb for her. ;)

Thing is, he still hasn't ridden a motorcycle. What he rode both around his neighborhood and in Vietnam are scooters. So he's not lying.

Nice piece of non-journalism there. Seriously, these guys get paid for this?? And people pay to read it??

Who Cares? Too many. There are usually enough dimwit ****tards reading it to stir sh1t for the Beeb. Which is one of the rotten planks on which the Daily Fail's sole purpose for being is based on.

:rofl: @ the article comments

best one so far:
"Well Clarkson, you have just proven what a sell out you are! I always thought the 'specials' presented on Top Gear were genuine. Makes me wonder if you paid the Rednecks to chase you out of town on your American adventure"
Alison, yeovil, somerset

Oh dear Alison - I don't want to shatter your dreams any further but... Coronation Street isn't real either + I heard a rumour about Santa - but I'll save that for another day !
Ronnie G, UK

its nice to know the Fail still won't release the name of the author of the generic anti-beeb/topgear articles :rolleyes:

:rofl: @ the article comments

best one so far:

its nice to know the Fail still won't release the name of the author of the generic anti-beeb/topgear articles :rolleyes:

Yea, I read through some of them. They were all quite funny, especially the ones where there were some flaming topgear with no basis at all.

I am sure that new scooter had electric start and was MUCH MUCH easier to drive than some old vespa. Hell I have a Yamaha R6, and I was still fumbling around on my buddies old vespa kick start can be a pain in the ass at times.

"It is the only motorbike I've ever HAD" not rented, not borrowed, had.

And "I can't ride" is just grasping at straws, he didn't mean literally he can't ride he meant he isn't good or comfortable doing it. When I say "I can't bowl" I don't mean I physically lack the ability to bowl, I mean I bowl double digits and get beat by 12 year olds.

Than "Clarkson then hammed up his supposed ignorance of bikes, by failing to locate the stand, leaving the bike lying ungracefully on the ground." ... or he is doing the SAME EXACT thing they always do, how many times did they hit James' car when they were in the US the first time? Would that be clarkson "hamming up his ignorance" by failing to properly use the brakes? No, he was trying to be funny.

This was hard to read but all true.

When I rode one of those semi-auto scooters for the first time I had to be shown what to do, and I'd been riding for years.

I think the point the paper is making is that if the show is scripted, when they do a normal car review, how much can be trusted. The problem is that TG isn't a car review show anymore, it's more autotainment. That's the diff between it and 5th gear. How many times do we see the guys poking jabs at people that complain they don't do normal car reviews?

Come on, do you really believe they road their bikes all the way? Or that they really spent more than 5 minutes in the rain?

Yay I can finally use this (de)motivator image that i made!*

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/09/08/motivator5646509.jpg

*Directed at the daily fail, not at the OP.

If I recall correctly, not all bikes have kick starts. That scooter he drove could've had an electric starter, or something different.

i can only imagine that when Top Gear comes out in america, people will be filing lawsuits about this kind of thing.

The daily is looking for things to complain about now and its just getting ridiculous

Last edited:
Slow new day huh? Obviously have nothing better to do with their time

i can only imagine that when Top Gear comes out in america, people will be filing lawsuits about this kind of thing.
its ridiculous

This may surprise you but Americans would not file a lawsuit for something like this. Americans would just roll their eyes and not bother and the tabloids would blow the thing out of proportion, but nothing would come of it.

The UK, however has Ofcom and Ofcom seem to have a hard-on for the BBC at the moment. So, you get enough 'outraged' viewers and it might come to something or the BBC could just say what they always do with TG - that the show is not factual and meant as entertainment.

Regarding the Oz tourist I thought she was part of the production crew?

its ridiculous

The hell are you talking about? That's the best anti-american joke you could come up with? What does anything mentioned in that article have to do with America?

Judging by your "When i'm old enough" info box I guess this just is another notch for 12 year old kids regurgitating jokes no matter if they make sense or not. :rolleyes:

In other news, the Daily Fail was forced to issue a correction today when it was discovered that their accusations of Clarkson having previously ridden a big, fearsome, suicidally dangerous manly motorcycle Vespa scooter was unfounded, when it was discovered that Clarkson had previously ridden a bicycle in his youth. His previous experience with two-wheelers undercuts his sense of balance even further. "Oh yes, I remember he had a bicycle in middle school," his dear old mother told Daily Fail reporters after offering them some delicious homemade sugar cookies. "He even rode that old 12-speed a whole 700 feet to the shops!"

Daily Fail staff could not be reached for comment, as they were too busy experimenting with hard drugs.

Daily Fail staff could not be reached for comment, as they were too busy experimenting with hard drugs.
DAILY MAIL REPORTER was unavailable at the time for comment. :p

And people pay to read it??

Actually, no. The bit about Jeremy on the bike did not make it to the hard cop version the paper - was only in the online version (quite common for stories to be dropped from the print version)

What, I reckon, is more interesting is that the Mail were on the ball enough (or surfing the net at the right time!) to pick up on Andy's blog before is was cut down
Here's what they said -

TOP Gear is to become the latest casualty of BBC budget cuts, the show's producer has revealed.
Economies at the corporation could mean an end to the motoring show's famously over-the-top car stunts.

Top Gear is BBC2's most watched programme, attracting audiences of up to 8million in the UK in its Sunday night slot. A new series is scheduled for spring 2009.
It is estimated that the show currently costs ?100,000 per episode to produce.

However, Andy Wilman, the channel's executive producer, said that economies would have to be made.
Past stunts have included presenter Jeremy Clarkson driving a truck through a brick wall, while his co-presenter Richard 'Hamster' Hammond suffered brain injuries after he crashed while driving a jet-powered drag-racing car at 288mph on the show. He has since recovered.

Referring to the likelihood of cutbacks, Mr Wilman writes in his blog on the Top Gear fansite: 'No point in moaning about that. All shows are suffering and nobody's got a pot to p*** in any more anyway, so no reason why we shouldn't suffer as well.

'Our problem though is that there is no fat to trim off the show, in that we waste almost nothing behind the scenes and the old cliche of "every penny goes on screen" is actually true.

'So in 2009, the budget cut has to affect what you watch and Clarkson has had a brainwave in making this as painless as possible.

'Basically instead of trimming back a little bit on every show - losing a helicopter here or a truck crash there - we'll endeavour to make 13 of our 14 shows as per the usual Jerry Bruckheimer standard and then the last one, when we only have a tenner left, will be utter, utter sh**e.

'But they had fun singing songs in the dark during the Blitz, so let's see what happens. Great stuff may come of it.'

The BBC is already slashing its programming budget by as much as 30 per cent in some areas after it admitted it was facing a ?140million funding shortfall caused by inflation and rocketing utility bills.

Despite this Clarkson, 48, signed a lucrative contract earlier this year, reported to be worth ?2million a year, to present Top Gear.

Hammond, 39, and fellow co-presenter James May, 45, also agreed new deals worth ?25,000 and ?20,000 a show respectively.

A BBC spokesman declined to give any figures but said: 'Like every programme across the BBC, Top Gear is engaged in delivering efficiencies.

'But viewers can be assured that the next series will be as compelling and exciting as always.'

And before you all ask. ... I am paid to read all the Uk national newspapers. Oh yes I have to read all that shit every day :blink: