The Stig: Daily Telegraph claims to have identified The Stig

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
I post this purely for information.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...s-The-Stig-Top-Gears-The-Stig-identified.html

I won't comment on the content of the article for spoilers sake, although you have to click on a separate link at the bottom of it to find out who they are claiming Stiggy is so it is possible to read without spoiling the illusion to some extent, nor I am going to quote any of the article here - if you're bothered/interested you'll read it, if not you'll ignore it.

However if the claim is deemed to have enough weight will that mean a new Stig in a different coloured suit? Personally I doubt it as our prime suspect has been known about for years and they've kept things as they are.

EDIT: The Times' (for whom Jeremy writes regularly) take on the story appears here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5548705.ece

Last edited:
well...we need a new stig then...

What a surprise! (not)

^ No, it's not official confirmation. Here's what it is - it's a newspaper reporting a story of someone who claims Ben Collins - long rumoured to be the Stig - told him he's the Stig, nothing more than that.

Does it officially confirmed?

Assuming you mean Is it officially confirmed, then no, it's not. Not that that changes anything - it's been going on so long that TG will just deny everything - or give no comments - unless there is another autobiography incident. Even then it probably won't change much.

Having seen all the articles on this in the last few weeks I am starting to think this bloke isn't the stig, but has gone nuts/seen an opportunity and started thinking he is the stig.

Anyone could buy a white racing suit, invite some dumb builders round leave the suit lying around for them to draw their own conclusions.

^ No, it's not official confirmation. Here's what it is - it's a newspaper reporting a story of someone who claims Ben Collins - long rumoured to be the Stig - told him he's the Stig, nothing more than that.

My feelings exactly. The article carries no more weight than the reports by scientists who present the evidence for global warming/climate change because they have been given research grants to look for evidence of global warming/climate change.

The media have a chief suspect and are looking for evidence to support that theory. I have long held that people will believe what they want to believe regardless of the evidence in front of them.

Since Black Stig I don't think Top Gear give a stuff about whether people know (or think they know) who the Stig is, and the current incumbent(s) will remain in the position for as long as the show is on air as the actual question is so old hat now as to have become irrelevant.

EDIT: WTF???? Just what exactly in the above paragraphs deserves a (cowardly ie unsigned) neg rep? Must be something to do with today being Blue Monday I guess

Last edited:
as long as Ben Collins doesn't write a book, which says he's the Stig on the cover, we'll never know...

(that's what I tell myself)

must be another slow day in the world of reporting news then in that they've chosen to focus spending some time about an imaginary driver from a entertainment program, and looking for any evidence to back it up. even if it is 'some guy said that he knew who the stig is.' quite frankly this just stinks of those celebrity scandal stories that newspaper's print with "a source close to blah blah blah" or "in this exclusive deal only to the daily toilet paper."
i can think of a thousand things going on in the world right now that are probably more important than this.
its a entertainment program and they should just leave it at that... entertainment.

I think that in season 13th ep 1 the Stig dies in some kind of a challenge like old stig

Either way, this is hardly a surprise. It's like when Silvio Berlusconi was indicted for corruption, or when Clay Aiken came out.

They should just change the suit color, but let Ben Collins stay, and then say that they've got a new Stig.

(psych!)

They could fire Ben Collins but keep the white suit, and no one would ever know. Not saying they did, but it could still be anyone, so you can't actually be certain