Daimler buys 10% stake in Tesla Motors

fluke667

Car(s)
BMW 325i Cabrio
Daimler, Tesla charge ahead on electric car

German auto giant and electric vehicle maker announce alliance.

Daimler AG and Tesla Motors announced Tuesday that they will partner to manufacture electric cars.

As part of the agreement, German automaker Daimler said it had acquired an equity stake of nearly 10% in San Carlos, Calif.-based Tesla Motors.

The companies said the alliance will "make electro mobility a reality."

"Our strategic partnership is an important step to accelerate the commercialization of electric drives globally," said Thomas Weber, member of the Board of Daimler AG, in a press release.

Tesla Motors designs and manufactures electric vehicles. Its battery-powered Roadster is the only highway-capable production electric vehicle for sale in North America and Europe...

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/19/news/companies/tesla_daimler_electric/?postversion=2009051907

Hooray!
Now rip out the batteries of the Tesla and slap that 65AMG engine in there :)

I'd be happy for them to just put the stock Exige drivetrain in the Tesla.

Damnit...was hopping that it'd stay independent longer...

Maybe it's just Daimler licensing the electric drivetrain? Tesla always said they were a technology company, and looked forward to licensing their batteries, motors, etc.

So...daimler will clean them out, give them an outdated SL chassis, then sell them at a loss to a holdings company? Poor Tesla, we know thee well.

Last edited:
I think that's a smart move on Daimler's side. Instead of failing horribly at developing their own drivetrain, simply buy it from an outside source.