DAKAR 2006

Ok, thanks for that info. I'll get the Eurosport (not Eurovision) coverage.

I am watching the Eurosport's Day 5 episode. So far, the coverage seems to be the same, except they clutter up the screen with advertisements and announcements of what will be on at whatever time. :x

Edit:
As someone said, the Dakar organization produces the videos, hands them out to the tv networks, and they put in their commentators as well as do some graphics mix. The commentator from Eurosport seems to be as goos as the one from SBS (Australia).

In regards to the race, the Dakar keeps on taking its toll on the competitors.
The Chevy Baja truck got pretty damaged! The TDi armada continues to dominate! :thumbsup: Peterhansel keeps getting more frustrated.
Flash Gordon is "taking it easy". :lol:

Day 6:
http://www.torrentbox.com/torrents-details.php?id=27073

It seems that the guy who was ripping SBS coverage is not doing it anymore. Instead we have someone else doing Eurosport's. No worries! As long I get to the the Dakar, I am calm. :thumbsup:

jeffy777 said:
Is the OLN coverage only a 1/2 hour as well?
That question has been answered by now, and the answer is yes. I could have answered right away, but I've basically been avoiding this thread until after I've watched the current stage coverage. I hate spoilers.

It seems that the American OLN is airing coverage at 4:00 PM ET, while the Canadian counterpart is airing it at 7:30, so I see it three and a half hours later. As I've suspected, the Dakar organizers give footage to each network, and then they use their own announcers for voiceovers and such (one giveaway for me is the way certain driver and place names are spelled, as if they're written by a Spaniard or something, the way they'd be written there). OLN was using one guy for the first two days that seemed to know his stuff, but then they switched to Craig Hummer (appropriate name) who bugs me every day when he says certain competitors' names. I feel like yelling at him "it's pronounced SIGNS, not SANES!" :p

They're also using a woman named Kirsten Gum who reports on location about the progress of American entries. She appears at the beginning and end of each day's coverage. More than anything, it seems she's getting a long vacation and only having to speak for a total of three minutes or so per stage. Yikes. I guess eye candy means a lot to OLN (I don't usually make such comments, but they could have easily had Craig Hummer just say what she says in his narration).

So if the Dakar committee is handing out footage, I wonder if everyone is getting half an hour's worth? I'm still pining for the old hour-a-day footage Speed aired, with their excellent host Toby Moody. He reported on location, did the narration and pronounced names well! I wish Mr. Hummer would check out some of Toby's old reporting and learn from it.

Yeah, I definitely miss Toby Moody. Ahh well, the australian host is miles above OLN's. I can live with that.

I just watched episode 6 (eurosport). The commentator is actually quite good! Very funny, also!

Excellent stage this one was! I felt bad that Cyril injured himself. :( BUt, hey, it is the Dakar!
The desert Fox continues to have fun, taking shots at the favorites! I personally do not like him for what he did to Sousa during the championship, but he is a great driver! :thumbsup:
Where is Mitsubishi? :lol:

I like that part towards the end, where two team (one Spanish and one Portuguese) are arguing about the best way of getting their car unstuck, when the BMW assistance truck stops by to offer help, and they were so busy arguing that they did not notice it! :lol: :lol:

The best part of these type of races is the camaradity, I think! You see that among every vehicle, but more among the bikers!

:thumbsup:

For those paying attention to Charley Boorman from Long Way Round it looks like he had a bad off on day 5, broke both his hands. His Dakar is over. Bummer.

HClG said:
For those paying attention to Charley Boorman from Long Way Round it looks like he had a bad off on day 5, broke both his hands. His Dakar is over. Bummer.

Is he riding, was rather, a bike?

Am I alone in the opinion that the trucks are the most entertaining part of the Dakar? Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of every second of the Dakar for years now, but I think they've got the amount of coverage reverse. The motorcycles are ok - worth a few minutes. The cars are fun and I dig them a lot. But the trucks are amazing! I can't believe some of the shots of a vehicle the size of a garbage truck catching air over a bump! Too bad they get the smallest amount of video & comment. <_<

kellonwheels said:
Am I alone in the opinion that the trucks are the most entertaining part of the Dakar? Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of every second of the Dakar for years now, but I think they've got the amount of coverage reverse. The motorcycles are ok - worth a few minutes. The cars are fun and I dig them a lot. But the trucks are amazing! I can't believe some of the shots of a vehicle the size of a garbage truck catching air over a bump! Too bad they get the smallest amount of video & comment. <_<

I'm with you on this one. The trucks are juz breathtaking, quite literally too especially if you're a poor biker caught in it's massive wake of dust and sand.

Plus consider the number of entrants. Bikes first, Cars second and trucks come last. Huge entertainment though.

Does anyone have a preference between the Eurosport and the Aussie coverage? Just wondering since the Australian SBS coverage is now up to date:

http://www.torrentbox.com/torrents-search.php?search=dakar

EDIT: I decided I'm going with the Eurosport coverage for all of them since they are standalone DivX compliant and I'm too lazy to re-encode the Aussie ones :D

I'm happy with the Eurosport myself for the consistency. I burn off the season and give it to a few rally nuts and generally end up watching the whole thing again come November/December.

did anyone notice some encoding glitches in the day 5 Eurosport coverage?

There is one episode that after some time it repeated the previous two minutes or so. I can not recall which one, though.

I just watched episode 8, and I think it was fantastic! Everyone (most, anyway) got stuck!

This really is an adventure! :shock:

Lusitano said:
There is one episode that after some time it repeated the previous two minutes or so. I can not recall which one, though.

I just watched episode 8, and I think it was fantastic! Everyone (most, anyway) got stuck!

This really is an adventure! :shock:

Quite a day. Unfortunately Robby missed Stage 8 because they couldn't repair the Hummer. Hummer had clutch and radiator problems.

I wish I could use torrents on my computer. :( OLN didn't air anything yesterday, but aired the coverage of stages 7 and 8 tonight instead. What a horrible day for my main man Carlos Sainz. It ain't over till it's over, but that was a serious blow to any chance of finishing high up in the standings.

Update: After I made the comment about the torrents, I decided to try downloading the latest Azureus, and...it works! First time I've used a torrent program on my computer in a long, long time. Would be nice to know exactly why it started working again, but whatever.