Dallas Junkyard Runs

The T5 is the newer body shape, but yeah, the 2003-2004 recall seems to be fuel-related as well.

The bastard love child of a mitsu and a XJ40, hmmmmm

800px-Early_Diamante.jpg

Spectre, did you know that a good part of the totaled KIA sportages/Izusu rodeos/Mitsubishi montero sport/Mitsubishi Galant/Toyota corollas/camry's end up over here, are repaired and sold?

Yup, most of the stolen ones too.

Note to would be thieves: Stealing my Pathfinder is a very bad idea.

I thought your Pathfinder was a Zombie Apocalypse-ready mobile
*puts a finger on Spectre's Pathfinder

Last edited:
You know, I'm starting to think it may be worth a trip to Dallas once or twice a year just to get all the niggly little parts that I can never get from the local yards (despite driving common-as-pylons cars) without having to pay for stupid dealership-new parts.

Right now I'm in need of:
A Ford Focus 15" alloy center-cap
Eleven 15" steelies (Actually this is more laziness than anything, I could get these if I really wanted)
A Ford Focus sedan left-rear door latch mechasnism (the half in the door)
A dark grey Ford Focus sedan rear bumper (Mine has a stupid gash in it from backing into a sign, and if I see a good one at a nice price, I'm not going to pass it up)
A Ford Focus wheel well liner (A collision buckled mine. The nearby body panels were hand-bendable back into place, but the wheel well itself is cracked)
A Ford ZX2 center console plate for an aftermarket radio (I sure as hell ain't gonna buy one)
Ford ZX2 electric window parts (I hate my hand cranks)
A new ZX2 left rear window glass because the stupid PO stuck a vinyl to it, which has actually etched Garfield into the glass.
A black revised ZX2 front fascia, because the fascia on mine is the old style, hideous, and fading badly.

Oh, and I need a new fuel pump for a 1977 C/K 3/4 ton (Totally not worth the $10 brand new - that WHOLE TRUCK is barely worth $10)

In short, Spectre needs to stop posting pictures of decent junkyards so I don't spend all my money on frivelous fixes for crappy cars. :lol:

Last edited:
Heh, that's not going to happen. Not as long as I do my own work or mods.

As for the Pathfinder, it's usually parked inside firearm range...

I loved going to all of those yards. If I had a car that needed spare parts I'd love to go along. :D

IMG_4782.JPG

This Cressida was a shame - but the engine was tagged all the same.
None of the Cressidas in the junk yards here are as clean as that. This seems to be one of the 2 of this vintage that were scrapped by C4C(at least what the government site says)...my car's generation was the biggest victim of C4C. I don't even understand how my car qualified...I never got less than 18 mpg, I actually get exactly 18 during winters coming from someone who likes accelerating quickly which is a no no for fuel efficient driving.

I still have yet to visit my local yard after C4C. Wonder what kind of stuff I could find. Might do that when I get home in a week. Assuming its not snowing by then (which hopefully it will be).

A truck went by full of crushed cars and mom says "OH NO cash for clunkers casualties!"
She doesn't even like cars that much and she was even upset.

Edmunds has calculated that those "$4500 rebates" that resulted in a crushed C4C victim cost the taxpayer $24,000 apiece.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/28/autos/clunkers_analysis/index.htm

What's even worse:
The program cost $3 billion and as of 2007 there are only 138 million tax payers in the United States (that's right, less than half of the US population actually pays taxes at all). That means that if you paid taxes, the government took $16.39 of YOUR money to crush that XJ8 I pictured above.

Last edited:
Hopefully C4C isn't going to be done here. We don't have any auto manufacturers to support (except for Porsche)...

That's how many people filed their taxes in 2007, not how many people who had to pay the government.

Wow, your junkyards in Dallas are pretty clean - the cars I see in my local pick-a-part are all rusty as hell and covered in dirt, and half of them have been smashed in or set on fire at some point in their lives.

Also, your junkyards have concrete pavement! :woot:

over here all junkyards need to be paved with inpentrable sth, as well as being surrounded by a draining facility, so by no means any oil, petrol, coolant, ... can get into the soil

which explains why we don't have any junkyards anymore...

how much money do people get from the C4C program? when you sell a new beetle privately, you must get more money than with the C4C program, right? how can people afford to just throw all that money away?

That's how many people filed their taxes in 2007, not how many people who had to pay the government.

Yeah, but chances are pretty good that if you didn't file, you probably also didn't pay. :p

over here all junkyards need to be paved with inpentrable sth, as well as being surrounded by a draining facility, so by no means any oil, petrol, coolant, ... can get into the soil

which explains why we don't have any junkyards anymore...

They pretty much are retrofitting the larger yards here the same way. Most of them seem happy enough to do it - it means that they get more customers as concrete is much nicer to work on than mud.

how much money do people get from the C4C program? when you sell a new beetle privately, you must get more money than with the C4C program, right? how can people afford to just throw all that money away?

These people are idiots. You got a $3500-4500 credit for trading in an eligible vehicle to be crushed. That XJ8 would have fetched $6-8K.

And no, the government couldn't afford to spend all that money, but they did anyway.

Yeah, but chances are pretty good that if you didn't file, you probably also didn't pay. :p

That wasn't my point. I was trying to say that even if you get all the money you paid to the government back, you still count as a taxpayer. You have to file to get you money back. Wing was trying to say that they're more that 138 million who pay taxes, which isn't true.

And sorry for getting way off topic.

The bastard love child of a mitsu and a XJ40, hmmmmm

800px-Early_Diamante.jpg

Spectre, did you know that a good part of the totaled KIA sportages/Izusu rodeos/Mitsubishi montero sport/Mitsubishi Galant/Toyota corollas/camry's end up over here, are repaired and sold?

Love that Mitsu. Especially the front bumper.

I have yet to see one on fire, but they do burn bulbs at a weekly rate.

i didnt have any problems with mine when i had it. the chasis just sucked a lot. and so did the brakes.

but then again, i had the 1.9t engine, not the 2.4

Last edited: