Dallas Junkyard Runs

I am told that the scene there has changed since I left - check with thedguy here about the smaller yards.

However, the Pick-N-Pull and LKQ yards are always a good choice.

There is a Pick N Pull over by North Hollywood (By Sunland or Burbank, not exactly sure). I never bothered going it because a lot of the cars were old Accords and cars of that sort.

@ freeferrarisdontexist: There are plenty of junk yards in the Houston area, they're all over the place.

I love the SEC, that was my first true love, besides of all things, a 300SDL :p

@ freeferrarisdontexist: There are plenty of junk yards in the Houston area, they're all over the place.

I love the SEC, that was my first true love, besides of all things, a 300SDL :p

Just to ask, are there any in northwest Houston? I've got a couple of friends there, and it would be easier to make my scrapyard runs close to where I'll be staying.

Jesus Dallas has some awesome junk yards! Hey Spectre, one of these days when I'm back in Texas I will some how find you and we'll go dumpster diving.

You need to go up into either the IE(inland empire off the 210 or 10) or up into the San Fernando Valley like Sunland/San Fernando to find the junkyards. That is where I always searched out for parts for my truck.. Just so you don't feel totally left without some good wrecking yards they are there..

Went to the yards yesterday to score some cheap Ford ignition wires to cannibalize for parts (to complete my EDIS conversion) and some Jag bits - the theme seems to have been "Firebugs":

First set is from "Awesome Auto Salvage":

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

So, anyone else wondering what could do this to a Volvo?

IMG_0714.JPG

Dead rice.

IMG_0715.JPG

The first Firebug of the day.

IMG_0716.JPG

These are from U-Pull-It:

IMG_0727.JPG

Firebug number two.

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

Seems a shame about this International. It would have been a good project before it got bent up in the yard.

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

Saw this on the way home, probably one of the few that's in such good shape that have been left mostly unmolested.

IMG_0734.JPG

the only thing that could have destroyed that Volvo so much would be a nuclear explosion.

Either that or it hit a concrete wall doing 300 mph

Someone *has* attempted to kill those Beetles with fire.

8 May 09 - All Import Auto Parts

8 May 09 - All Import Auto Parts

Today's destination: All Import Auto Parts in Fort Worth/Haltom City, one of the specialty yards. Objective: Find some usable XJ40 seats.

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

Ah, here's an XJ40 now.
IMG_0832.JPG

Seats look okay....
IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

Lots of dead Miatas here...
IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0848.JPG

And here's another XJ40. Seats aren't in as good a shape, though...
IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

Did you grab any of the seats out of the Silver Spirit?

Did you grab any of the seats out of the Silver Spirit?

It's a Silver Spur, and no, I didn't. I knew they were too big in any dimension to swap into the Jag.

And, like an idiot, I didn't remember that the Top Gear guys had the seats out of one for their set. The driver's seat is gone, but the passenger seat and rear seats are still there.

I have to go back tomorrow to pick up my seats (ran out of time) so I'll see about getting pics of the Roller seats and seeing how much they want for them.

Last edited:
IMG_0882.JPG

One of these things is not like the other...

So wrecked cars just pile up on this massive piece of land, waiting for people to buy parts off them, and if not, are they simply left to rust and be forgotten?

Basically. Once they're more useless than the land that they're taking up, they're crushed. Until then, you never know who's going to need some random obscure part from a car.

So wrecked cars just pile up on this massive piece of land, waiting for people to buy parts off them, and if not, are they simply left to rust and be forgotten?

:blink::blink:

Yes, and then eventually, when the cars are piled 30 or 40 high, they all come tumbling down and burst into flames, consuming a small town and pouring eeeeeeeeeeevil carbon into the sky, harming Mother Gaia!!!!!! Yessir, we evil Americans are all about wrecking the environment!!!!!!

:rolleyes::lol: Of course not. Every month or so (depending on how business is doing and how many cars they get from the weekly auctions) they have a "crush day"; the oldest or most picked over cars get stuffed in a crusher, flattened, sometimes shredded, and sent to a foundry where they are melted down and recycled into new metal ingots.

A car will typically only sit for between two and six months before it gets crunched and sent off to be made into beer cans, guns, new BMWs or whatever. :D In the meantime, lots of parts have been stripped off and put onto other cars to keep them going. It's quite an ecologically sound method of disposing of dead cars - as well as quite lucrative.

Specialty yards may keep some cars around longer - there is one yard completely devoted to Nissan Z cars here, for example. It only gets one or two cars every month, and they only crush about once a year.

And, as Dogbert mentions, you never know when someone is going to need that obscure part - and will be willing to pay for that chunk of unobtanium that you happen to have.

Last edited:
the oldest or most picked over cars get stuffed in a crusher, flattened, sometimes shredded, and sent to a foundry where they are melted down and recycled into new metal ingots.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPDLX0koXFs&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]