dangling wire?

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
I noticed this the other day, and have no idea what it is or how it got there:

It's a flat rubber wire that looks like it's been cut. It goes up into the chassis and has no give when I try to pull on it. I can't see what it is connected to.

While we were changing my tires, my boss theorized it must be a grounding wire and that he hasn't seen one in ages. I've never heard of such a thing, but my instinct says it is not supposed to be there.

Any ideas? Could this possibly be there on purpose or should I try to get rid of it?

I've seen grounding wires before, we had one on our old Sierra to stop you getting a static shock when you touch the car. Usually they are a strip of rubber with a wire core that hangs down and touches the road, this may be a cheap alternative.

I suppose you could get a multimeter and see if there's continuity between the end of the wire and the chassis.

Grounding wires, wow what is this 1982?
Wait, how come you don't see them anymore? :|

Re: dangling wire?

if the road is wet....wouldnt that grounding wire thing be a bit dangerous.

I agree with level, take a closer look at it. It would bug the absolute shit out of me otherwise.

if the road is wet....wouldnt that grounding wire thing be a bit dangerous.

It would only be an anti-static ground, something like this.

Like I said before we used to have one on our old Sierra estate, I assume with the length of the car and it's jellymould design there was a lot of surface area for a static charge to build up from the wind. It was never nice being zapped when you touched it.

I still see anti-static strips more often than you'd think. It's my number three old person accessory after door protectors and additional reflectors.

What about door protectors with additional reflectors? :lol:

Grounding wire that drags on the road? I've never seen one. :|

Do all your brake , turn signals, running, and license plate lights work?

That's the first thing I checked, and they do. Actually haven't checked the license plate lights, I'll see if I can confirm that one.

The car will be lifted for an oil change sometime soon, so there will be a chance to investigate further. it's way too low to actually get my head under there.