• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

dark sky??

oliB

Hi!

I'm sure you noticed this too, they always add some special effect to darken the sky when doing reviews etc.

Why do they do that? :?: :roll:
The weather looks worse than it actually is and to me this doesn't make sense, sometimes (when it is done really obviously) it annoys me... :?

cya
Oli

I've noticed that they often use a graduated neutral density filter on the lense. This is piece of glass with a gradient on it, from completely clear, to some amount opaque. It reduces light transmission without changing color tons and such.

When shooting video, folks will often do this to try to lessen the contrast between the very bright sky and the less bright subject. This lets you have your lens openned up more, and lets you get more dynamic lattitude in the range of your subject. So, that's sometimes.

The rest of the time, it's just cause they think it looks cool. Guess you don't. :)

I kinda like the optics they use. Like Sith said, using a gradient filter that's darker at the top allows them to open it up more and get brighter, more vivid colours down near the bottom, where the car is. I can see a bright sky any time I want, but I rarely get to see the supercars they drive, so I like it when they look good.

The odd time, the picture is overdone (like the sky looks like a hurricane is about to come through) but most of the time I think they do a great job.

I also really like the lens effects and post production in Top Gear. It's a real treat to watch an automotive show actually concered with aesthetics

There are always a few absolutely stunning shots in each episode of Top Gear; however, if you watch any North American automotive show - Car and Driver, Motorweek etc. - there is nothing more than straight boring shots of stationay vehicles, with the odd more "dramatic" shot of the car actually moving.

Top Gear obviously has some real talent in their production crew. :)

SiR_dude said:
The odd time, the picture is overdone (like the sky looks like a hurricane is about to come through)

That was my point, most of the time I don't care because you don't recognize it but sometimes it's overdone and really obvious...

cya
Oli

Can be done digitally, look in the photography section, there's a sticky with freebies if I remeber right, I posted some of this stuff

Renesis said:
Can be done digitally, look in the photography section, there's a sticky with freebies if I remeber right, I posted some of this stuff

It's fairly easy to pull that effect off digitally on still photographs, but it gets a lot more complicated with video. Isolating a portion of the screen, such as the sky, over the course of many frames is pretty hard to pull of seamlessly.

They most likely do it exactly the way Sith suggested - with some sort of gradient lens. They could be doing it digitally, but it saves a lot of work to simply slap a lens on the camera.

I think it's done digitally...

^ Why do you think that?

like mentioned before it's just a graduated N/D filter that they probably just have multiple ones with different colors. I got a bunch of them for my camera...and when I was at school, we had an attachment so we could use it on our video cameras...

it's really not that hard to use, but it takes some practice to get it right...especially with video...

zenon said:
^ Why do you think that?

It constantly changes, doesn't it?
This dark sky effect isn't there when the sky only fills a small (upper) part of the screen. Then the camera is panning, the sky fills half of the screen and it suddenly turns dark.

I might be wrong but I think I've seen something like that sometimes, so it can't be just a lens, right?

cya
Oli

PS: Sorry, but what I mean is difficult to put in words. Seems like my English isn't good enough. :?

erm no lens effect, it's england, the weather is always shiate. :lol: