Datsun returns as a budget brand

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Renault-Nissan chief executive Carlos Ghosn has confirmed that the Datsun name is being revived as a budget car brand in certain territories. Ghosn made the announcement during an address in Indonesia today, and the south-east Asian nation will be one of the first to receive Datsun products, along with Russia and India. All three markets will get cars in 2014.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/261911/

BRING. THE. 240. BACK.

Current Z is too fat and heavy. FT-86 competition from Japan's best marque please!!!

Not to mention expensive.

Some reports saying the new Datsun's will be half the price of the cheapest Nissan

Translation: This is what we're going to call the Chinese made ones so that if it all goes horribly wrong we don't deep six the entire company.

Which is actually a pretty cunning plan. Why did Chevrolet not release the aveo under the old Geo brand? Or create another schmuck brand to pawn it from?

Plan A:
1. Take Dacia
2. Decontent Dacia
3. Build Dacia in Vietnam
4. Recieve Datsun

Plan B:
1. Take Dongfeng
2. Swap badge
3. Sell abroad
4. Recieve Datsun

Having two teams building budget cars on their separate ways would be strange.

Last edited:
Plan A:
1. Take Dacia
2. Decontent Dacia
3. Build Dacia in Vietnam
4. Recieve Datsun

Plan B:
1. Take Dongfeng
2. Swap badge
3. Sell abroad
4. Recieve Datsun

Having two teams building budget cars on their separate ways would be strange.

Don't know why you think that, GM's done as many as ten at one time in the not distant past. :p

They put these shitty Nissans anywhere near my Renaults and Dacias and I'm gonna go do something bad. :p Yes I know, but consider how much more dull Nissans are than Renaults...

Translation: This is what we're going to call the Chinese made ones so that if it all goes horribly wrong we don't deep six the entire company.

Oi, the ZNA cars aren't that bad, I know a guy that has had one for a couple of years now and has had no mechanical maladies whatsoever, he even takes it to the local Nissan/Chrysler/GM/Mazda dealer for servicing. Granted if I was to have a crash I would much rather do so in a proper Nissan

For reference: his ZNA looks like this

zna_1.jpg

It looks like a last gen Frontier, because it IS a last-gen frontier, only a fair bit cheaper

Sounds like a sneeze.

And what people who still call Nissan a Datsun are going to do? :think:

Let's not romanticize this model too much. I saw these all over Ethiopia a year and a half ago. They fall apart when you look at them. utterly dreadful build/material quality.

Does the rear mounted 50 cal come as standard there?

That is an optional extra, and it is generally frowned upon. :(

Last edited: