Dead macbook charger?

Hidden_Hunter

Needs more IceBone
Car(s)
'13 BMW 125i, '26 Buick Standard Six
Just had my Macbook pro (2010, 2.4 C2D 4gb ram 13") totally shutdown with no warning and now my charger doesn't appear to work.

When I rebooted, the clock had forgotten the time (and invalidated all of my certificates)

Is this thing rooted, or just the charger?

Piece of crap is just outside the 12 month warranty

That actually really recently happened to mine. They replaced the charger and it seemed to have fixed it and they did give me some sort of explanation on why that happened.

This WAS however my last computer that was very problematic so take it with a grain of salt. That particular computer had various issues that fluctuated so it could have not fixed it. Take it in, and ask. Some people have said they have gotten replacement chargers free before. They are generally defective in my experience, I have gone through SIX of them if you count the ones from my old laptop.

It;s probably the magsafe board in your charger but the PC forgetting settings would mean that it ran out of battery 100%

It;s probably the magsafe board in your charger but the PC forgetting settings would mean that it ran out of battery 100%

Except it didn't the Laptop was fully charged and plugged in at the time

Yeah that is pretty much what happened to me. Fully charged laptop, went to unplug it to move it and it shut off before I could pull the plug out.

I tried resetting the SMC as well, didnd't do anything

Thats pretty strange, I'm not sure what kind of EPROM Apple uses for their machines but it sounds like it's resetting itself. I would suggest taking it to the geniuses as it seems to me to be a hardware problem.

I'd go to a local Apple store and ask them if they'd replace the logic board. If it is just outside of warranty they may just fix it.

Ive made an appointment I'll keep you guys updated, the main thing that concerns me is that it shutdown the whole pc. Did that happen to you katwalk?

No it never effected anything else, just incredibly obnoxious.

My last MBP did something similar, everything started going a couple weeks out of the warranty. I think they are programed to fail immediately after.

Apple's customer service has always been as bad as their hardware is brilliant.
Interesting, they are fairly highly rated in CS here, maybe other countries have better CS in general?
Found my receipt 3 weeks out of warranty
Go anyway, the dude from TUAW had something similar happen to his wife's MBP and it was a couple of weeks out of warranty but they replaced the mobo anyways for free because there was a known issue.
My last MBP did something similar, everything started going a couple weeks out of the warranty. I think they are programed to fail immediately after.
I read about one specific MY that had that problem just cant remember which one.

Last edited: