Dead macbook charger?

Hey hidden hunter, here's a question, does it go into hibernate when it runs out of juice? I ask because mine didn't (It would restart when I plugged it in) and they never determined why. They kept resetting the SMC for that too so that is why I ask.

Interesting, they are fairly highly rated in CS here, maybe other countries have better CS in general?
The European hardware service is done by Leprechauns.

Hey hidden hunter, here's a question, does it go into hibernate when it runs out of juice? I ask because mine didn't (It would restart when I plugged it in) and they never determined why. They kept resetting the SMC for that too so that is why I ask.

Haven't run it down, might try that tonight (see how much of my hdd i can back up lol)

I borrowed a charger from a guy here at work, appears to be charging properally

Apple replaced the charger for free

Now here's the interesting part, despite my Mac being out of warranty and the guy claiming that he was doing me a favor when he grabbed the replacement charger it actually had my name on a printed label. I'm hazarding a guess that this is quite a common problem and that it should of actually been recalled

In automotive, that's called a "silent recall": Problems get fixed at routine service and/or when the customer complains without ever officially acknowledging it's there.

Apple replaced the charger for free

Now here's the interesting part, despite my Mac being out of warranty and the guy claiming that he was doing me a favor when he grabbed the replacement charger it actually had my name on a printed label. I'm hazarding a guess that this is quite a common problem and that it should of actually been recalled
Well they will put your name on it even if they are doing something out of warranty, if it's a common enough issue they are generally given the power to issue a warranty repair, that's fairly common in tech world.

The chargers have a separate warranty from the computers so I have had to pay for them (as well as batteries) while the computer WAS under warranty before :/

Well they will put your name on it even if they are doing something out of warranty, if it's a common enough issue they are generally given the power to issue a warranty repair, that's fairly common in tech world.

no what I'm saying was that the dude pretended he was doing me some kind of favour yet the box he grabbed from under the counter already had my name printed on it. If it's a faulty design is should of been recalled

They have been faulty in one way or another since forever. This IS the improved version though, the ones to my 07 model BECAME ON FIRE.

no what I'm saying was that the dude pretended he was doing me some kind of favour yet the box he grabbed from under the counter already had my name printed on it. If it's a faulty design is should of been recalled

I thought you understood that Apple was perfect. Obviously his not going to tell you that they done fucked up :p

They have been faulty in one way or another since forever. This IS the improved version though, the ones to my 07 model BECAME ON FIRE.

Completely unrelated: I got a call at work for an RMA for a commercial high-power point to point wireless networking device. The device was plugged into a power strip. Suddenly flames shot out of the powerstrip. All devices were unplugged from power strip.

Then he plugged everything back in and tried again
. RMA device in question started smoking. And he wants it fixed under warranty..........

:lol: This is something I know is not just me as if you type in "macbook power cord" to google, well look at image results 2 and 4.

I moved away from Apple some months ago and I've got to tell you that my ThinkPad's charger, which design has not been changed since approximately when Clinton did not have sex with that woman does a damn fine job in charging my laptop and not catching fire.

About three weeks ago, I had a 2010 refresh macbook pro 15 inch catch fire because the power cable shorted out. Brand new apple brand cable too. Why they haven't started a recall yet, I don't even fucking know. This is the second charger I've had fail catastrophically too, same style too.
Maybe you have same powers as katwalk because mine have yet to attempt to kill me.
I moved away from Apple some months ago and I've got to tell you that my ThinkPad's charger, which design has not been changed since approximately when Clinton did not have sex with that woman does a damn fine job in charging my laptop and not catching fire.
Sadly ThinkPads can't match up to Apple's specs, I was choosing between MBP and ThinkPad when getting a PC and I wanted something that could run SC2 on at least High and TP's don't seem to come with any real video cards. Also they look like poop but that's something that I could have gotten over.

.....Sadly ThinkPads can't match up to Apple's specs, I was choosing between MBP and ThinkPad when getting a PC and I wanted something that could run SC2 on at least High and TP's don't seem to come with any real video cards. Also they look like poop but that's something that I could have gotten over.

I think thinkpads aren't meant to be gaming machines :p
get a gamingrig and good laptop, not combination of both that does avg on the gaming part :p

I think thinkpads aren't meant to be gaming machines :p
get a gamingrig and good laptop, not combination of both that does avg on the gaming part :p
And this is why I got an Apple... No Windows PC manufacturer matches their specs. I'm not a hardcore gamer so wasting money on a gaming rig makes no sense whatsoever. I get 7 hours of battery life when I'm just doing web stuff, I can still take it with me wherever I want, it will still play SC2 on Ultra settings and when Diablo 3 comes out it will play that as well. It's also well built and should last for a while.

Whenever I read this sort of thread I cannot help wondering what people do to their tech stuff to cause these faults.

My laptop (yes, fruit-based) is 29 months old and the battery has been through 649 cycles. It's at 82% of its design capacity. Both the charger and laptop do get hot from time to time, the outermost layer of plastic around the charger cable is damaged (nothing that a bit of electrical tape won't fix) and the laptop spends lots of time on cushions, blankets and mattresses - but never have I had any serious problems with it.

Mind you, my stereo is going on 13 years old, my mobile phone is older than most first-graders and my iPod is the last model before colour displays... I think I see a pattern. :think:

I use my laptop for maybe a couple of hours a day if that, my charger was in perfect condition not even a kink in it

Whenever I read this sort of thread I cannot help wondering what people do to their tech stuff to cause these faults.

My laptop (yes, fruit-based) is 29 months old and the battery has been through 649 cycles. It's at 82% of its design capacity. Both the charger and laptop do get hot from time to time, the outermost layer of plastic around the charger cable is damaged (nothing that a bit of electrical tape won't fix) and the laptop spends lots of time on cushions, blankets and mattresses - but never have I had any serious problems with it.

Mind you, my stereo is going on 13 years old, my mobile phone is older than most first-graders and my iPod is the last model before colour displays... I think I see a pattern. :think:

I have noticed that people have different luck with tech. As funny as it sounds I have known people who treat their stuff nicer than I do and it doesn't last at all. I will abuse the shit out of mine and it will run for ever, same stuff too.