Dealer add-ons

HurricaneOpal

I'm picking up some new wheels next week. Of course the dealer has a long list of suggested extra stuff. Wondering if anyone has experience or an opinion on the following:
Cilajet - apparently what they spray aircraft with. Purported to reduce drag a bit and make waxing unnecessary for many years (10 I think) - $949
Tire and rim road hazard replacement - fix rims, replace tires for 60 months - $1395 (note the tires on this car can not be repaired - picking up a nail means a new tire)
LoJack - $1295 - seems a lot given if this car was stolen the resulting joyride would probably ruin it, so I probably would not want it back.

Other owners of similar cars have suggested the tire coverage. Don't know anyone with a garage who has LoJack, although this is not a big conversation topic at parties. The Cilajet sounds cool, if it does what it is reported to do.

60 months? that's 5 years?

1395/5 = 279?/year

if you never get a puncture, that's steep. but if you do, you'll be settled...i'ld go for the tire replacement as well. the cilajet just sounds like a rip off.

what's lojack? what does it cover? damage after a joyride? theft?

Lojack is a car locating system - your car gets stolen, hopefully by the time you realize it's gone it's not in a shielded box someplace or had the system removed - but if it's not, once you call the service up, they turn on your car's locator beacon and the police can find it.

Depending on how expensive the wheels are and how crappy the roads are in your area, the wheel/tire thing sounds like a decent deal. The rest is crap and you can get it applied/installed elsewhere for half of what the stealership wants.

$1,400 bucks in insanely expensive for the tire protection. We sell the same plan for $599 for wheels up to 18 inches in size. I would have to look up what the prices are for 19 or 20 inch wheels. What size wheels and tire are they?

The Lo_jack is also way too much money.

$599 to $699 seems to be the standard rate for that and they do have a system now that will call your cell phone, email you and send you a text message if they car moves without the key in it.

Last edited:
^do you cover quads as well? :p

they're only 10" in diameter! and i'd love to pay one fee, and have free tires for the next 5 years!

Last edited:
I think that only covers tire damage, not wear...

Thanks for the feedback. The LoJack seems crazy expensive given the car would be garaged every night.
The tires are 19", and rim damage is also covered along with tire damage. Given the brutal winter, potholes are plentiful! I like the idea of not having to wax the car, but if this stuff was that good, it would seem more people would know about it.

Suitable for OLD people who want no worry in their life I think. I agree way too expensive look at the alternatives if you need the facility.

Lojack is a car locating system - your car gets stolen, hopefully by the time you realize it's gone it's not in a shielded box someplace or had the system removed - but if it's not, once you call the service up, they turn on your car's locator beacon and the police can find it.

Provided the car is still within the covered area. They only cover about part of the country.
ljcoverage.gif

Yeah, LoJack isn't perfect, but then it's like cell coverage - you're just not going to get 100%.

I prefer a good self-destruct/self-disable system instead. :D

Yeah, LoJack isn't perfect, but then it's like cell coverage - you're just not going to get 100%.

I prefer a good self-destruct/self-disable system instead. :D

Jacob's electronics used to make a good ignition disabling system. It would let the car drive for a couple of minutes and then shut itself off stranding the crook somewhere. They also offered a foot activated switch you hid under the floor mat, probably wouldn't work on Toyotas :p, that you stepped on before you got out the car if you were being car jacked.

Not sure if Jacob's electronics is even still in business I think they got bought out by somebody else.

All of which mean nothing if they bring a truck. If someone really wants the car they will get it.

All of which mean nothing if they bring a truck. If someone really wants the car they will get it.

The best anti-theft in the world won't stop a determined enough thief. It is like armor and weapons the weapon always wins eventually.

Professional car thieves are rare compared to crackheads who want to sell it to a chop shop or teenagers who want to joyride (who will unlikely be unable to start a modern car ANYWAY)

Jacob's electronics used to make a good ignition disabling system. It would let the car drive for a couple of minutes and then shut itself off stranding the crook somewhere. They also offered a foot activated switch you hid under the floor mat, probably wouldn't work on Toyotas :p, that you stepped on before you got out the car if you were being car jacked.

Not sure if Jacob's electronics is even still in business I think they got bought out by somebody else.

Jacobs got bought by Accel/Prestolite, moved to their corporate HQ and is now just a relabel for Accel.

Professional car thieves are rare compared to crackheads who want to sell it to a chop shop or teenagers who want to joyride (who will unlikely be unable to start a modern car ANYWAY)

Just having a manual transmission car seems to thwart most regular car thieves these days.

Jacobs got bought by Accel/Prestolite, moved to their corporate HQ and is now just a relabel for Accel.

Yeah I knew they got bought out by somebody just couldn't remember who and hadn't bothered to look.

That is too bad they had good products and were headquartered out of my old hometown Midland IIRC.

if you have car insurance, at least I won't want the car back. GIVE ME MONEYS instead.

Till you have a car with significant aftermarket mods that the insurance company won't pay you for.

Happens all the time unless you have specialty insurance, say Hagerty's on a collectors car with a set ahead of time agreed upon value, that will cover things like modifications or customization.