Dear americans, explain yourselfs on your supposed use of bags.

You've never been to a Wal-Mart Supercenter then...
Left entrance is the grocery side, right entrance is the normal retail side.

Actually I have, it's still (at least in the ones I have been in) at least 2/3 things that are not food. Granted I have only been to like 3 walmarts, because who the fuck shops at walmart for anything unless there are no other stores, but the average large grocery chain (there are about 4 to choose from) has way better selection and is usually is situated in a strip mall with stores for everything walmart has a section for.

We usually have to put a $1 or $2 deposit for a shopping trolley. All supermarket chains I've been in do this, but not every supermarket. It seems they don't bother in a place where nobody is going to steal the trolley.

But clever poeple don't use real money for that but plastic or metal chips in the size if a Euro coin.
I have an Aldi one. Well, I mean did have. I just went to take a photo of it and it's missing! :eek:

Nobody uses paper, they're all plastic. Mind you, more recently grocery stores in my area have stopped giving away plastic bags and are now selling cloth bags, and everyone's getting in on it because it's more environmentally friendly.

Plastic bags are 5? each now in my area. You could also buy cloth bags, re-use old plastic bags or some supermarkets have cardboard boxes one can use to contain their groceries.

Im pretty sure as well, that supermarkets are making their plaggy bags thinner and thinner. I used to be able to pack a plastic bag to the brim, tightly and with heavy things and some with not so blunt edges. Now put a bag of potato's in there and maybe a few yoghurts and the bag is just moments from failure. Now the question is do you pony up for a re-usable cloth bag and then try remember to bring it shopping, or do you risk it for a biscuit and hope your shopping doesnt end up sprawled all over the car park with yummy mummys in their range rovers running over your fruit?

I am kinda famous in my social circle for having a trunk full of cloth bags, and forgetting they are there until I open my trunk to put my plastic-bagged groceries in said trunk.

Eh, Walmart tried Europe? When did that happen? Well obviously it was in 1998 as thats what it says in the report but I've never ever heard about it.
We have an Aldi's in town. I've never been in it, but I heard there is a $0.25 deposit on the grocery cart.
Oh, Aldi in the US. No Aldi here. Am I the only one without Aldi? Lidl got here first and after 7 and never turning a profit I don't see them staying too long. 2.8 billion SEK in losses so far on a revenue of about 5 billion a year.
You can look at it as putting in a deposit (here it's $1!), or you can look at it as an incredibly cheap price for your very own shopping cart.
Depends on the definition of "own" :p
just here to wonder how a thread on paper bags can reach 6 pages...

wtf?
8! :p

No Aldi here! And I'm willing to wager there never will be.