Dear FinalGear, I would like to study you!

That's the effect of being a part of an internet community, not of having the particular interest of this particular community. ;)
I've met up with "strangers from the internet" for more than a decade on four different forums before coming here, and formed quite a few friendships that way.

It will be my job to dissect what you tell me in the interview and look for statements that define you as a "car enthusiast" and also compare it to how other people respond to the same questions. Not everything is obvious. Or at least I hope it wouldn't be.

This sounds like a laugh, count me in too. :D

Sure, why not. Add a :canadian: to your list of specimens.

I just saw this thread. I'm always willing to help out a grad student. Feel free to drop me a line.

You're more than welcome to contact me if you'd like. Either through PM or Skype. PM me if you'd like my skype name

I'm game.
Count this car nut canuck in. As soon as my PM's are working.....

Lets all stop posting while he is observing and ruin his result :p

I'm probably a shite subject to study then, hardly ever get the time to post nowadays haha

Thanks, all. I am still in the theory stage and design of the project (plus I'm getting pushed to work on my thesis AND do PhD applications...). I plan on starting the interviews around the last week of October (maybe sooner, depending on how fast I get everything together)

Count me in if you are still doing the thing :)

PM or w/e to hammer out the details I rarely venture outside of the General Auto section and will likely forget to check this thread :p

No interviews yet?

Starting tonight :) I was pretty busy with a conference and getting school applications done so I had to put this on hold for a while. I'm back now.

I just spread some rep around to the people I interviewed so far. It's been really great. I hope to do a few more in the next couple days.

Project is due December 15, so far everything is working out great.

Interview stage is over, sorry I couldn't get to everyone, but thanks for offering to participate!

I still need to collect a little more data, now that I have narrowed down my findings, so in the next couple of days I will create a very short survey for those that I didn't get to interview.

I still need to collect a little more data, now that I have narrowed down my findings, so in the next couple of days I will create a very short survey for those that I didn't get to interview.
That would be great, sorry for not being more cooperative in planning an interview.

Okay, here is an update:

I am almost finished, but I could use a little bit more data from the people I haven't interviewed. I narrowed it down to five questions, please elaborate in your responses as much as you can.

If you haven't filled out the consent form, please do so, otherwise I can't use the data

Informed consent form - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dG1uYmNHRzBoZnUtS2w3X0RDMmNjSmc6MQ#gid=0

Short survey - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dE5HbE9hYUE4V2Y5Z0ljZGZaUk02bnc6MQ

done and done :) those tiny text-areas do make it hard to re-read, especially since the questions often got quite a long answer.