"Death by understeer" (Registered Audi Trademark)

Besides which, the classic TT (and Veyron) problem is drop-throttle *oversteer,* not understeer.

spin.jpg

Last edited:
Any car can be made to understeer, just yank on too much steering angle and the tires won't cope.

most FWD cars anyway. all my cars (all big chevys) are RWD and its very very hard to get understeer from a RWD vehicle. but with FWD no matter what the wheels are still going through the transmission and if the gearing isnt right then the wheels cant do what they should do and causes understeer. not to mention the larger turning circle because you cant turn the spindles that much or else you wont be able to get the universal to the wheel from the tranny

Um, no.

Cases that disprove your point: 911, 911 Turbo, NEW 997 Turbo, 280ZX, Z31 300ZX, Morgan GTN, first generation XK8/R pre 2003...

All those cars will still understeer. There is no car that won't understeer in certain conditions. 911's are actually quite bad for it as there is very little weight over the front wheels. Trouble is most people crash before that under brakes when the tail swings out :lol:

Very hard to "correct" understeer. There are steps you can take but getting rid of understeer is more preventative than curable.

most FWD cars anyway. all my cars (all big chevys) are RWD and its very very hard to get understeer from a RWD vehicle. but with FWD no matter what the wheels are still going through the transmission and if the gearing isnt right then the wheels cant do what they should do and causes understeer. not to mention the larger turning circle because you cant turn the spindles that much or else you wont be able to get the universal to the wheel from the tranny

I beg to differ. You still get understeer with RWD cars, it's just not that noticable because of the oversteer you have in the back. As somebody already said - if you turn in hard at a very high speed, the tires can't cope with the forces, because they are not glued to the asphalt. It's physics - you can't argue with it.

I will give you example.
My cars:
Nissan Skyline. 3.0 6cylinder RWD 1400kg
Daihatsu Charade 1.3 4cylinder FWD 900kg

On of these cars has a tendency to understeer and one has a tendency to oversteer.

Skyline understeers and Charade oversteers but depending on the situation both can "oversteer, understeer or simply fail to steer at all" to use a brilliant Clarkson quote.

@Spectre and SoxXpupPeT,

All of these cars will absolutely understeer. If you got into a corner too quickly the front tires will lose grip first and understeer. This may cause the rear to step out creating oversteer but it doesn't change the fact that the car understeered. 240SX for instance is notorious for understeer despite it being RWD. On rally courses Evo's and STi's understeer quite badly if the driver makes a mistake.

Every single car in the world will understeer there is no way around it. It's simple physics really, it is easier for the front end to lose grip as the wheels turning reduces the contact surface.

Now I am not arguing that some cars are more prone to understeer and others are prone to oversteer and that it is impossible to avoid either of them. I am only arguing that all cars will at one point or another understeer and it is very much up to the driver to keep them from doing so.

The audi tt in question was driven by 3 kids (16 year old female, 18 year old boy and 20 year old boy) who all died in the accident. The reason was, as vitnesses described, way too much speed.

It happened yesterday, so bringing this up as an example of audi's understeering is real f'ing tasteless and more so: pointless, as they drove too fast to make the turn in any car.

A link to a newspaper article about the accident (in norwegian):
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/article2405254.ece

Um, no.

Cases that disprove your point: 911, 911 Turbo, NEW 997 Turbo, 280ZX, Z31 300ZX, Morgan GTN, first generation XK8/R pre 2003...
I think his point was that your average consumer car is set up to understeer because it's a lot safer. Most people don't know how to handle oversteer, but understeer is more manageable.

That crash killed 3 teenagers in Oslo last night :p

Rip =(

No other cars involved, just noob-driver (20 yr old) - driving to fast.
The car was just 3 weeks old.

The driver is a notorius speeder/dunk driver, and have lost his lisence many times before, AND crashed several cars.

He had just got his lisence back, and was drunk-driving, doing ~170 in a 50 zone, when the tree appeared :p

The 2 feemale passengers, aged 16 and 18, were sisters - The 18 yr old was dating the driver.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up.

So much for Audi's trademarked understeer ... yeah right! <_<

Right, now that's been established this thread needs to be locked - it's in appalling taste, without basis, and utterly pointless.

And by the way;

I feel a urge to punch the thread-maker in the teeth - what a stupid title. Show some respect.

hehey, 3 years - and you're the first one in my ignore-list. And a fellow Norwegian at that.

Well, there's a first time for everything.