Death of Kevin Ward Jr.

Pininfarina_

Car(s)
E46
Video

Nascar driver Tony Stewart hits 20 year old Kevin Ward Jr when Ward steps out of his vehicle to confront Stewart after spinning out from contact one lap earlier.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

A lot of keyboard warriors are claiming that Stewart intentionally hit him and that you can hear the engine revving up before contact.

Some say Stewart just wanted to get close to Ward but things didn't go as planned and hit him instead.

This article sums up the general speculations at the moment.

In any case, whether or not Stewart had intention of hitting Ward, the kid was a grade-A retard. In what world is getting out of your car and stepping into the racing line to confront a driver (IN HIS MOVING VEHICLE NO LESS), a good decision?

It's like pedestrians that don't look when they cross the street. Sure if you get hit you'll most likely win the lawsuit, but at the end of the day, you're the one in a wheelchair (or a morgue).

I feel zero sympathy for Ward's death; his actions were moronic and he suffered the consequences.

Looking at that video, I agree with you. The kid clearly put himself in the path of Stewart and seems to have paid the consequences for a dumb hot headed mistake. He had a close call with the car ahead of Stewart and then took steps forward further into the racing line which is just crazy. It sucks big time and I feel sorry for all involved. That is the kind of stuff that will haunt someone for the rest of their life. Its probably a blessing that the Kid passed on, as he'd probably be pretty messed up after something like that.

Looking at it a couple times, it seemed like Stewart revved after the contact happened, which seems consistent with a reaction to avoid him or one of surprise to me.

Last edited:
I know nothing about Sprint cars but I understand that you pretty much steer the things on the throttle, although it would seem a bit counter intuitive. No real point speculating, it was a horrible accident perpetrated by that guy being stupid enough to walk out onto the racing line.

+1

ButHjExCUAAnv1l.jpg

Sad to see that in a moment of hot headedness someone throws all caution to the wind like that for absolutely no payout and ends up getting hit.

I very much doubt Stewart would have deliberately hit him knowing what that would mean for him both consciously and legally.

Any death of a 20 yo is to be regretted. But I also feel sorry for the other driver, he now has to live with killing someone.

I feel zero sympathy for Ward's death; his actions were moronic and he suffered the consequences.

I agree 110%, I feel more sympathy for Stewart who has now had this put on him as something to live with.

I know this isn't exactly the top level of motorsport (judging by the cars looking like lawnmowers with an outhouse welded on the side), but this should be reacted to mostly by those responsible for licensing racing drivers by being more exclusive. Not every hot-head should be allowed to race. Goes for all levels of motorsport where we see some grade-A morons from F1 all the way down that should never have been allowed.

I've met Stewart 3 times, and talked with him at length one of those times. I do see Tony doing anything like that deliberately.

A> He's too good of a dude to do it.
B> He has WAY too much to lose.

Ward was also known to be a hot-headed little prick by the guys that raced with him.. so this doesn't surprise me. Too bad he had to learn the ultimate lesson about getting your ass off of the track ASAFP!

I just wanted to also add that it's nice to see that everyone else here logically looked at the situation and isn't out for Tony's head on a stick like a few other boards that I'm on.

Last edited:
Very sad situation, but I can't help but feel it wouldn't have happened if the various sanctioning bodies (and NASCAR in particular) had taken a stand earlier against riders staying on the track after a crash for some sort of retribution.

How often did we see that, even drivers throwing their helmet at passing cars. But this makes for a good show, so instead of a crackdown on the behavior, it's glorified on TV.

Very sad situation, but I can't help but feel it wouldn't have happened if the various sanctioning bodies (and NASCAR in particular) had taken a stand earlier against riders staying on the track after a crash for some sort of retribution.

How often did we see that, even drivers throwing their helmet at passing cars. But this makes for a good show, so instead of a crackdown on the behavior, it's glorified on TV.

Since you can't do NASCAR in the trailer park, bring the trailer park to NASCAR. Stupidity like this and that has happened in the past (fist fights, thrown helmets) are the big reason I don't watch American racing anymore. If I want staged stupidity, I can turn on WWF or any number of reality shows. I watch racing for the sake of racing, but I guess I'm in the minority in this country. :(

Better late than never, I guess - NASCAR has this week issued new rules requiring drivers to stay in their cars after an accident until track workers arrive to assist them directly to the ambulance / safety vehicle (unless the in-car conditions preclude doing so - fire, smoke, etc.).

Last edited:
The Ontario County District Attorney's office took the evidence in Stewart's case to a grand jury, which found there was no basis for criminal charges, D.A. Michael Tantillo announced Wednesday.
Tantillo said toxicology reports revealed that Ward was under the influence of marijuana at a high enough level to impair judgment.
So he was racing high? And no charges at all? Given, the guy who got killed was reckless to go into the track where high speed cars were racing on, but surely this should warrant a persecution of some sort?

*edit*

The guy who was killed was high. Not Stewart. Read that the other way around. Never mind what I said.

Last edited:
fuck them!!!

marijuana will NOT impair judegement!

fuck them!!!

marijuana will NOT impair judegement!

That's pretty much what the commentator on NBC Sports said and that it was lame of the DA (or whoever) to mention that. Additionally he suspected that due to the silence from both parties a civil settlement has likely already occurred.

That's pretty much what the commentator on NBC Sports said and that it was lame of the DA (or whoever) to mention that. Additionally he suspected that due to the silence from both parties a civil settlement has likely already occurred.

The family have making statements...

In a brief statement read by Kevin Ward Jr.'s sister, the family says "this matter is not at rest" and the focus should be on Stewart's actions

says they'll "pursue all remedies"
http://racing.ap.org/article/family-still-blames-stewart-ny-racers-death

#StandWithSmoke
https://twitter.com/hashtag/StandWithSmoke?src=hash

ByT-TycIQAAJ0en.jpg

Last edited: