December 12th, 2004

Holy crap, we must have like a half dozen 100 mbit boxes seeding this sucker. :shock:

name that song

name that song

What is the song roughly 45:45 into the program? I'm basing the time on another rip but it is around the section for car of the year with money no object (enzo, db9, discovery). So what is the song? I asked in another episode and no one knew. I'm hoping someone has figured it out.

That evo is awesome! :eek: :shock:

Imagine the look on Lamborghini driver's face when they got beaten by a 4 door sedan :mrgreen:

I'm certain the song thread is locked so that I can ask here...

Edit: Nevermind. I see the thread is actually open now

130kb/s! w00t! Il upload at least 5 copys of it, thats all night at 30kb/s (max upload speed) :(

did anyone else notice that the evo blows a bit of black smoke when it is accelerating in one scene?

Pretty good episode.

The quality off the 700+mb on from suprnova is substantially better though. But viper's release is quite good as well in comparison to older releases.

The evo MR is a beast, i doubt they're still using that potatoe turbo on N. American version. As for the black smoke... I seriously hope it's not burning oil, but they did say it requires a tune-up every 4000mi. Possibly improperly burnt fuel? Stock settings running too lean?

All-in-all, it seems like a godsend to aftermarket tuners. Anyone know the specs? like how big the injectors, turbo specs, gearing, compr. etc?

Wally said:
Anyone know the specs? like how big the injectors, turbo specs, gearing, compr. etc?

Found this off, some website

Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing Turbocharger
Owen Developments custom manufactured cast Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold and Exhaust Elbow
Omega Forged Pistons
HKS Forged Con Rods
HKS 680cc Injectors
Zytec ITP116 High Pressure Fuel Pump
HKS 1.6 mm Steel Head Gasket
Motec M800 OEM ECU
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs
Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat
Alcon competition derived 240 mm high clamp mode, heavy duty clutch complete with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centred drive plate
HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts
Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit incorporating Monobloc 6 pot road caliper with 343 mm curved vein Disc on a Aluminium mounting bell assembly with Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
Ralliart Aero Mirrors
Carbon Fibre Front Lip Spoiler
Carbon Fibre "Sharks Tooth" Rear Vortex Generator
PIAA High Performance Light and Wiper Upgrade
Gloss Black Team Dynamics Lightweight Alloy Wheels
Driver Training Course

geez... i guess depending on the amount of boost and turbo trim, this thing should be doing more than 400whp... no less 400bhp.

Those are some pricey components, it seems like a no expense spared build-up. Mistu must've intended on running some serious boost, they even got a thicker headgasket to lower the compression. Yikes, Motec management, 680 injectors, and an 120LPH fuel pump; it should've decimated the lambo.

I suppose to meet regulations and such they've detuned the car in one way or the other. But from what they said on top gear, it equates to a $100k+ cdn car? Sorry, but I'd much rather import an EVO 8 from the states and drop $50k.... where in turn getting a far superior car.

M5Rangerover said:
did anyone else notice that the evo blows a bit of black smoke when it is accelerating in one scene?

well its either gonna be smoke or back fire, its normal on highly tuned cars.

M5Rangerover said:

At wide-open throttle, all engine computers ignore mixture and dump as much fuel in the engine as they can.

Too much fuel = rich = black smoke. Especially on a car with oversize injectors.

asthenia said:
M5Rangerover said:

At wide-open throttle, all engine computers ignore mixture and dump as much fuel in the engine as they can.

Too much fuel = rich = black smoke. Especially on a car with oversize injectors.

Are you certain about that? For instance, dyno runs are done at WOT but most ems's will still tune air/fuel

it was an alright episode...
first episode i've actually skipped around in instead of sitting there and watching all of it...

Wally said:
Are you certain about that? For instance, dyno runs are done at WOT but most ems's will still tune air/fuel

Yeah. At 100% throttle, the ECU stops caring about emissions controls and tunes for absolute maximum power. Especially on a turbo car, to keep from detonating and turning the engine into a grenade, that means running rich.

Wally said:
The quality off the 700+mb on from suprnova is substantially better though. But viper's release is quite good as well in comparison to older releases.

Thats the cost of compression, the original source file for top gear is around 1.7-1.9Gb of Mpeg2 at 1024x576 and a bit rate of around 6.5Mb a second so you are losing quite a bit of info when reducing the size down to 350Mb even with Mpeg4 compression.

asthenia said:
Wally said:

Yeah. At 100% throttle, the ECU stops caring about emissions controls and tunes for absolute maximum power. Especially on a turbo car, to keep from detonating and turning the engine into a grenade, that means running rich.

Are you referring to just the EVO or all cars in general? and all ECU/EMS units, factory and aftermarket?

Viper007Bond said:
Holy crap, we must have like a half dozen 100 mbit boxes seeding this sucker. :shock:

If we run out of bandwidth.. I've got 2 more ;)

Anyway, I liked this episode :) And I don't think the Mustang review was as critical as you guys were expecting (even JC said he liked it)