December 13th, 2004

5th gear took another stab at TopGear "we here at 5th gear have the best drivers on any televised car review show..."

that's just stupid, that's 2 comments from 5th Gear, and nothing from TopGear...it's like 5thGear has to do stupid stuff like that to get ratings or something...stupid...no wonder i like TopGear better...

after watching this ep i now dont like tiff. he dissed the gt as if it were a toy and just because jeremy is getting one doesnt mean that he could shit on the gt :|

Aston DB9 with the dark interior is kinda... ugh. But the lite interior is pure sex.

5th Gear is just kinda boring. They try to bite TG's insane cinematics but it just always comes out lacking. The way they present cars makes TG out of their league, it reminds me of tacky shows like Motorweek.

But mad respect to Tiff's skills (ex-F1 driver always gots mad skills).

chonkyfire said:
hokiethang said:
MXM said:
OH! I got it! Finally!

Ian Brown - One Way Ticket To Paradise

Doh, I hate american music stores, I was looking for the perfect soundtrack for something i am working on and this song would be perfect (minus vocals of course) but the american stores (tried rhapsody, napster, buymusic.com and itunes) don't even mention the CD this is on. I found it on itunes UK, but apple's restriction by location sucks. :-\
Well you could buy it, if you're into that sort of thing, on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...25/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/102-6318912-8224163

But I had no problem finding it on the usual p2p music stealing networks =) Didn't find the instrumental version tho.

Hey guys, I'm a lurker and a fan of 5th/Top Gear. I've been trying to solve this song mystery ever since I saw the TG 10/24 997 review.

What I can conclude with absolute certainty now (after downloading the above) is that there is no seperate instrumental version - in fact, the "mystery song" is actually TWO seperate songs spliced together.

Go back to the Top Gear October 24th review of the 997. (Sorry, I don't have the full episode, no timestamps.) From the moment JC says "except... the gearlever comes off" to the moment he says "...absolute animal!" it is one song. THAT'S the one that was repeated a bunch of times on 5th gear and the one that I suspect most people are still scratching their heads about.

Right after that point on TG, it goes into an instrumental part of "One Way Ticket to Paradise" that's much more intense than the 1st song. For anyone wanting to crack this song, go back to the 997 review and listen to that segment carefully. You'll be able to hear it transition into an entirely different song.

I'm still irked at the fact that no one has been able to find the answer to this. How can it be so obscure? ::pounds head against wall::

^ It seems that you are right. I'm listening to this segment over and over now and trying to figure it out.

Lets keep discussions of the song to the episode's thread in the 'What's that Song' section though. You can find it here: http://gear.viper007bond.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1691.

What an unnecessary, boring, and uninformative lazy rehash of old episodes.

How is a 1 series in a different category than a Focus???

?and where is the Esprit project??

Luke.

PS, Vicki is getting fat.

well i will admit they have the best drivers. Tiff, who was f1 for awhile and raced many le-mans. Plato, who is a current BTC driver and Vicki who raced go-carts at the age of 11....

and yes Vicki is getting big, i wonder if she is expecting

mike_tseng said:
after watching this ep i now dont like tiff. he dissed the gt as if it were a toy and just because jeremy is getting one doesnt mean that he could shit on the gt :|

not really, i totally understand what he wanted to say. ferraris and porshces are more closers in the feel of the drive and the handling to their racing versions while GT isnt + the original (i think) didnt have a supercharged engine but a NA one.

Thanatos said:
mike_tseng said:

not really, i totally understand what he wanted to say. ferraris and porshces are more closers in the feel of the drive and the handling to their racing versions while GT isnt + the original (i think) didnt have a supercharged engine but a NA one.

I'm surprised that Tiff didn't like the car that much given how well it powerslides. You know what though, he didn't literally diss the GT; he only expressed his subjectivity by saying how the car's handling/drive doesn't match the history and looks of the car. I think it's a somewhat dumb argument though. The Porsche 911 Turbo today is nothing like the original; in fact it understeers a lot when the original oversteered like it were on steroids. Yet, Tiff still likes it despite its understeering demeanour.

I'd have to say that Tiff is kinda biased on this one. JC thinks that the Ford GT is "sensational", and Tiff just had to take yet another jab at him. Tiff needs to realize that the GT is what the next NSX should be like...easy to drive but powerful enough (as it was back in 1992). Of course, Tiff didn't like the NSX at all back when he did a review of it. Tiff likes raw animalistic cars that surprise him every second. The GT is too predictable for his tastes.

To 5G's credit though, they did agree with TopGear on the COTY award.

Just my $0.02. Overall boring episode.

Overheat said:
I've noticed Vicki seems to be putting on weight too.

she started gaining weight in the previous episode where she was talking along with tiff about something...forgot it :lol:

The design of the New golf and the BMW 1 series has really grown on me... I absolutely hated the two cars when I first saw it... and I really wanna learn how to do a 360... seems quite complicated :lol:

BTW... what I don't understand is if the Golf GTi is the car of the year... then why wasn't it crowned small car of the year as well? and when Vicki halfway saying that there going to give away the Porsche 911... I was like WTF... I was expecting them to give away the Focus cuz its the cheapest :lol:

but TBH... I think the Golf GTi is actually a great car... TG agrees with it as well unless Volkswagon had something to do with that. Anyone on this forum actually drove a new Golf GTi?

Finally watched this episode and added the review to the main site.

SiR_dude said:
I'd love a Golf GTI, especially with that DSG gearbox. I agree with that choice for car of the year.

So do I. I'd have a black or blue one with a manual though.

But this episode was really shit. I think it is only 2/10 the fun compared to top gear. How can you make a Ford GT review boring? Now thats bloody well done. They should get new Directors and get rid of Plato.

Kinda dull epsiode, but I really liked Plato's comment about 5th having the best drivers, and Tiff saying that the GT is too easy.
I don't belive for a second that he did it because of JC getting one, I think he was honest since he's used to drive much more brutal cars. Do you think JC would've been able to drive the Saleen (or was it a Mosler? I'm too lazy to do a check) around FG's test track? Nopes. Different drivers - different taste.

About giving the GTi away - TVshows earn massive on "competitions" like that, so there's no need for VW to give them a car :)

I put much more belif in FGs tests than Top Gears. Top Gear is a talkshow about cars, that features great footage of interesting cars. FG is a carshow IMO.

Top Gear does have the stig though...but that's just because none of the others can drive. :p