December 6th, 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm at UBC, I don't think SFU has a law school. In any case I'm probably going to get kicked out soon anyway.

Case in point: I have a contracts exam in mere hours (literally). And what am I doing? Waiting around here for either Vicki or Jason to show up on my screen talking about the F430.

The same thing happened to me earlier this week with real property and constitution law v. the MK V GTI test on Top Gear.

Oh the joys of the internet age. :)

Incidentally, does anyone know if the F430 has an actual name? I've got the latest Top Gear and CAR magazines here and neither one of them mentions a name.

topgearfiend said:
does anyone know if the F430 has an actual name?

I think this is their name... but Ferrari recently started putting names behind the Make and Model (e.g Ferari 360 Modena, 612 Scaleitti(sp?) ) and stuff so we'll just have to wait and see

andyhui01 said:
topgearfiend said:

I think this is their name... but Ferrari recently started putting names behind the Make and Model (e.g Ferari 360 Modena, 612 Scaleitti(sp?) ) and stuff so we'll just have to wait and see

It's not that recent...Modena has been out for a while now, and think back to older models, like TestaRossa, Dino, etc.

SiR_dude said:
andyhui01 said:
topgearfiend said:

It's not that recent...Modena has been out for a while now, and think back to older models, like TestaRossa, Dino, etc.
Well i read somewhere it was going to be something like "Fiorino" after a track in italy, i think its the one for grand prix, or the ferrari test track, not sure.....

Mike, im at sfu, and i dont think sfu has law school either. Plus i know of the dilemma you speak of - i had a statistics final yesterday and on monday it was, watch TG or study for stats...

I mentioned before, about reading a review that mentioned something about the V8 and how its put together, causing the flat , beefed up exhaust note - i found the article, here's the bit, refering to what i was talking about and the link if you're interested in reading it all.

Unique to this V8 - in a road-going car anyway - is a flat crankshaft; the "throws" where the connecting roads are, well, connected, are all in the same plane. In effect, this is two inline four-cylinder engines bolted onto a common crankcase. This arrangement improves intake and exhaust flow, thereby creating higher output.
The engine start button, also on the steering wheel, prods the V8 into life.
But wait - this can't be a Ferrari. The exhaust note is harsh, flat, blatty. Where's that piercing, keening sound we've come to know and love?
This is the downside of the flat crankshaft mentioned earlier - the sequence of the firing pulses results in this unusual noise. I don't know why this car doesn't sound as sweet as other V8 Ferraris. Maybe the increased displacement has something to do with it. Or maybe our aural memories are those of the V12 Ferraris.

heres the link

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/advice/standardart.aspx?contentid=4022441&src=home&pos=editlead

FWIW all roadgoing V8 Ferraris have had flat plane cranks, so if the 430 doesn't sound as good as the 360, it's not the crank's fault!

haha604 said:
Guys, it doesn't take the whole day to watch Top Gear. Stop finding excuses for being lazy haha :mrgreen: .

No no, that's absolutely true. But it takes all week to sit there and wait for the next one to come out. :D

topgearfiend said:
haha604 said:
Guys, it doesn't take the whole day to watch Top Gear. Stop finding excuses for being lazy haha :mrgreen: .

No no, that's absolutely true. But it takes all week to sit there and wait for the next one to come out. :D
Nah mang, but it takes all day and infact year, to study stats, so any time spent doing otherwise is not good......

What happened to the episode... I heard Vuk manage to stuff it up.

I am sure someone must have taped in

Does it air in any channels overseas, like BBC world?

if someone on the forum finds the episode somewhere, please inform here also ;) u don?t have to sent it to all of us, one copy of it to viper or any admin would be enough. Don?t worry about the quality of the rip, at least i am pleased to get to see the episode in any quality.

takahashi said:
What happened to the episode... I heard Vuk manage to stuff it up.

I am sure someone must have taped in

Does it air in any channels overseas, like BBC world?
I posted in the news on the main page for a reason. :p

inso said:
flat plane is used in tvr?s own v8s and i guess in new caterhams also. caterham engines are essentially two bike engines put in the same crank. flat plane crank is a lot easier to construct than bi-plane crank, there was an article about different kind of cranks in a recent evo mag, u should check that oyt, or use the google ;)

I thought that the TVR V8's were Rover units? And I don't think Caterham will factory-fit thoose insane Bike-V8's :)

Tha_bounce said:
topgearfiend said:
haha604 said:

Nah mang, but it takes all day and infact year, to study stats, so any time spent doing otherwise is not good......

I study stats too, so I know what its like haha. Skip one week of class and I become clueless the next time I go to class.

tvr used to have rover v8s, cerbera was with own v8 and after that everything else too. rover v8s aren?t made any more, and those caterhams do use the bike sourced v8.

Didn't know TVR built a V8 that was bespoke for the Cerbera. :) but you're right.

The company that's building the bike-sourced V8 is called RST and just because evo tested a Caterham with one of those development engines fitted, does not mean it's a Caterham engine.

I know the Rover V8's aren't made anymore. (What that's got to do with this I don't know)

TVR build the 6's like in the T350C and the Tuscan and Tamora etc, but AFAIK all the V8s have always been Rover jobs.

I've driven a friend's TVR Griffith 500HC.. what a machine that was :)

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Tuscan S ever since..

I checked at tvr.co.uk, and according to them the Cerbera has
/had a TVRdeveloped V8, the Speed Eight, which I guess became the Speed Six.

TVR's are very rare in Sweden :(...usually if you see one, it's a foreign tourist :(

dwh said:
a short segment of the f430 just been released at ferrarichat.com which will hopefully save the lives of many waiting here.... :D
check out the below link.
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40764&page=3&pp=20

The person that posted it seems like he may also have access to the whole episode...

Welcome dwh! :D and thanks for the link.

are you a member to that site? any chance of getting the whole show :D :wink:

to satisfy all of us rebels here :wink: :D 8)

G 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.