Defiance

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
From the creator of Farscape, comes Defiance. New sci-fi series airing Mondays on scyfy (showcase in Canada)

I watched the premier last night and really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was great, at times the show was a bit campy, but ultimately this show has great potential!

What do y'all think?

The game is fun, i've not seen the tv series yet.

My son and I loved it.

Plus...he got to see that pale chicks nipple in the bath, so he was happy. :)

I just watched Totalbiscuit's 40 minute first impression video and I have to say it looks a lot better than I expected it to. I'll wait as while and see what more people think of the game in general and specifically how it is some hours in, but there's a chance I may pick it up.

The game looks fairly ok-ish, but nothing I really care too much about to actually get it. But yet it managed to notify me of the existence of the TV-show and I'll probably give the pilot a shot today or later this week.

I saw the pilot episode yesterday evening on Syfy (first time I've watched something on Syfy in years). I had been informed of Defiance earlier this year from a friend who had attended a GAME store lock in with a copy of Defiance the game.

So far I've bloody loved the series, both me and my friend were talking away minutes after the shows end discussing what we liked and where we hoped the show would be going in the future. Additionally I started playing the game as well and the game is pretty typical stuff but I do enjoy all the links up with the tv series and how closely inter-twined the two projects are.
I'll definitely be watching future episodes and highly recommend it. The shows acting isn't brilliant or its stories revolutionary but there has been a distinct lack of Sci Fi on my tv screens over the last few years and this show more than makes up for that gap.

Plus any show that has Johnny Cash in the opening 10 minutes is going to win bonus points.

Also, the UK iTunes Store has the feature length pilot episode for free in HD at the moment.

but there has been a distinct lack of Sci Fi on my tv screens over the last few years

THAT! That is the reason why I give everything that looks remotely scifi-ish a shot that hits the market. And anything that is not absolutely terrible will be watched until it gets canned again ;).

THAT! That is the reason why I give everything that looks remotely scifi-ish a shot that hits the market. And anything that is not absolutely terrible will be watched until it gets canned again ;).

Also when I found out that Rockne S O'Bannon (the guy who did farScape) was behind the series, that immediately got my attention.

To be fairly honest, one good show/concept doesn't make me immediately care about the writer/editor/whatever. So I am being fairly neutral on that topic. I just think its sad that we get next to no actual scifi in the recent years. A lot of stuff is just some supernatural crap and/or is badly done.

Watched second episode earlier. I'm definitely calling this my favourite series on TV at the moment. That includes Doctor Who, the recent episodes have been a bit... lacking in story quality.

Plus also whoever plays Irisa is Hawt. Red Haired alien girl. I can't say no to that.

Stephanie Leonidas. 29 years old, from London. She first came to my attention in Mirrormask, written by Neil Gaiman and directed by Dave McKean.

Sadly, she's a brunette IRL.

I'm liking it so far. I especially like Doc Yewll's sense of humor. I may need to take a break from TV, though. I keep expecting Amanda to vamp out and bite somebody, and Rafe to blow himself or the town up. :D

Whats the general opinion a few episodes later? Still not sure wether I wanna start another kinda-scifi-show that then will just end up disappointing me.. :D. I'm afraid this has not a lot to do with actual scifi except for some aliens instead of humans in the story. Like V or 4400-esc. And I don't really want that.

Haven't played the game, but I'm gonna watch the series. I think it's a very good concept tying up games and other media. Imagine for example if Blizzard had produced a full length movie before launching each of the expansions to WoW or Heart of the Swarm.

It'll catch on, I believe.

Whats the general opinion a few episodes later? Still not sure wether I wanna start another kinda-scifi-show that then will just end up disappointing me.. :D. I'm afraid this has not a lot to do with actual scifi except for some aliens instead of humans in the story. Like V or 4400-esc. And I don't really want that.

Still enjoying it. This week I enjoyed the Nolan story but thought the Irisa B story was a bit dull. I get the impression the E-Rep story and the ex mayor story lines will converge at some point.

I'm getting that feeling too, although what's with the hallucinations? I think that the artifact somehow transmits the life force of the dead, and that's why the ex-mayor wants it. But then again, I could be way off.

Also, I've been reading some of the backstory on the official defiance webpage... this stuff is deep! It's excellent. I love this show.

I'm now caught up after you and Keith recommended this show. It definitely has some similarities to Terra Nova, but its different enough and seems to be doing better. It has an amusing similarity to Eureka as well, with the father daughter thing and the "mysterious secret thing underground" thing. I'm enjoying it, and will be interested to see where it goes from here too. I just hope they get to it sooner then later, as every science fiction show that leads on with the "mysterious artifact" plot line for the entire first season seems to get canceled (Terra Nova and that one about going to Mars or whatever a while back....had to look it up....Defying Gravity). They do seem to be moving it on quicker, so we'll see.

Definitely worth watching, and thanks for the recommendation Justin.

Currently looking for two more to go in on a 4-pack from Steam. Sale ends today.

It was free to play this weekend, though I didn't find out until late last night, so I only got a few hours to play. It was fairly fun, certainly functional as a shooter, and it's cool for events to change and become larger and more difficult as other players wander into it. It's 30% off for the rest of the day, so $42 for a single, or $31.50 each for a 4-pack.

Eventually I watched the pilot last saturday, and I quite liked it. Will definitely keep going for now!

Oh and another thing that will keep me watching: Mia Kirshner! :drool:

Last edited: