Dell boxes and 'aftermarket' video cards?

klutch

Courteous urinator
Car(s)
Do it for me.
My spermkilling laptop died on me last week, a relatively decent Dell 1420. Something with the videocard or some shit. Ironically enough, the second time this has happened to me with Dell laptops, and only a month out of the warranty. Shitty Nvidia cards always crap out on me. Anyway, I've sort of learned my lesson; no more laptops, and no more Nvidia. But I'm still going with Dell, mainly 'cause I get a smoking deal on them through work. I bought the Inspiron 545 with some Intel quad core processor, lots of ram and HD space, and a 24" high-def widescreen...screen. Anyway, I ordered it without a video card, mainly cause the price for the 'upgrades' and the choices sucked, based on my limited research. I've ordered 2 Powercolor cards, a Radeon 4850 and a 4870. I'm indecisive, yes. Anyway, the POS power supply that Dell uses is apparently only 300w, and I "need" 500w or something, and the minitowers that Dell uses is apparently tight on space. Oh shit, someone just went through the Starbucks drive-thru backwards and can't get out, hahahaha!

Goddamnit...Ok, wait, my question is thus: will a standard ATX power supply fit in a goddamn Dell minitower? And will I have fitment issues with a 2-slot video card?

The last time i checked, Dell was moving out of proprietary parts to standard ones. Perhaps by now they are using standard ones. As for the Video card, i cant help you. Sorry.

You got lucky the power supply will work and the card should fit might get a little tricky with cable routing though

Last edited:
In the past Dell desktops have been able to take aftermarket cards....Swapped an old Inspiron 8300 desktop card which was only a ATi Rage 16MB with a 256 7600(old AGP stuff...). Should be able to swap it out still since they have not changed much in components other than the PCI-e.

Yes you should be able to put a regular atx power supply in the mini-tower that is the 545. So you could buy a 500 or 550 w power supply and put the video card you want. If you game alot, hd4890 or 5800 serie if you can afford it, if not hd5700 serie should be more than enough. I wouldnt go with nvidia, not a single card is interesting in their lineup. Ati have better card or similar performing one at a much lower price. And if you dont want to much wire, there is some low watts power supply that are modular and not too much costly. I can even find a seasonic modular 500w for about 90$ and seasonic are about the best power supply maker.

Dell uses standard mobos by now. You just need to get a good PSU then you should be fine with most cards. But if you're going to get the high end 58xx series, make sure your case has enough room, those cards are long.

Give me some credit; how am I going to incorporate anal sex or bodily functions into a computer question?

By using a computer case made to resemble an man's bum thats been "widened".

sry, i had to do it

must...resist...urge...to...link...goatse...

EDIT:
goatseolympics.jpg

(someone actually snuck this into the BBC's competition for an London Olympics logo)

Last edited:
I have a 3 year old Dell Dimension 5150 and added an ATI X1300/1550 after the fact.

I had to take out the 305W PS and replaced it with an off-the-shelf 500W PS. It was a slightly tight squeeze but it works A-1.

Worst case scenario is you either buy a new case and/or return your PSU.