• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Currently i don't have one / use one

• Total voters

Ethan

Currently, i'm working with a Dell official retailer for my homecountry.

I want to know your feedback and experiences with your products Dell, sine some people here had our products

Cheers!

I like their laptops and monitors, but I would never buy a Dell desktop.

Don't buy their desktops if you are a computer enthusiast.

If you just need a computer though, for stuff, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

(Though the above can be said of any computer company, at least those that tend to use brand specific hardware tricks)

Good for business use, we have them at work, although I avoid like the plague myself. To put it another way, price performance for Office Tasks is great especially with volume discount.

Desktop = poor but CHEAP
Laptop = good AND cheap!
dell mp3 players = sucky
Dell LCDs = good and CHEAP!

Tech support = talking to a machine because those outsourced indians are reading from a script.

Warranty = great. "I dont know why it's not working anymore(because i broke it myself)" Okay sir, we'll send you a replacement.

AxlxA said:
Desktop = poor but CHEAP
Laptop = good AND cheap!
dell mp3 players = sucky

Tech support = talking to a machine because those outsourced indians are reading from a script.

Warranty = great. "I dont know why it's not working anymore(because i broke it myself)" Okay sir, we'll send you a replacement.
Warranty - Great - forgot to add that.

We use them at school and apart from the low hd space they have been fine, quiet, relatvy fast so i like them

Pretty much the same as above, if you know anything about computers you should build your own but for everyday use i think they are fine, my dad has a 3? year old Dell and there has never been any problem with it.

I wouldn't buy a desktop from them, mum has one that's just awful. Their idea of a CPU cooler is a lump of aluminium with a green thing on it and one single 92mm fan. Her system was really overheating badly, I put some spare cooling kit in it that was left over from my old system.

Their laptops don't seem that bad, however.

AxlxA said:
Desktop = poor but CHEAP
Laptop = good AND cheap!
dell mp3 players = sucky

Sum's it up really.

But yeah, business class stuff is definately good from them.

Vette Boss said:
I wouldn't buy a desktop from them, mum has one that's just awful. Their idea of a CPU cooler is a lump of aluminium with a green thing on it and one single 92mm fan. Her system was really overheating badly, I put some spare cooling kit in it that was left over from my old system.

and how many CPU coolers you've seen that have more than 1 fan?

Xeon SX said:
Vette Boss said:

No no no, it had one fan for the ENTIRE SYSTEM. Not including the one in the PSU.

Yeh at the moment they have a few nice ones. I haven't seen the latest so was just talking about their previous cases I've seen.

Vette Boss said:
Xeon SX said:
Vette Boss said:

No no no, it had one fan for the ENTIRE SYSTEM. Not including the one in the PSU.

No way, maybe they forgot to place some more at the factory? I've NEVER seen a PC without system fan, apart from ones designed to be silent.

Xeon SX said:
Vette Boss said:
Xeon SX said:
Vette Boss said:

No way, maybe they forgot to place some more at the factory? I've NEVER seen a PC without system fan, apart from ones designed to be silent.

I kid you not. This thing had a single exhaust fan with a green shroud connecting the cheesy aluminium heatsink to the fan. Dell calls it their "advanced thermal solution". I can tell you this, it certainly wasn't advanced and it was loud as hell, that fan would go bananas and spin upto about 3500rpm under load, very loud.

I see a lot of them through work, and for a computer to do stuff they're pretty good. Very low incidence of hardware failure. Would I buy one, no. I've been building my own desktops for 5 years now and in terms of laptops I prefer thinkpads.

AxlxA said:
Desktop = poor but CHEAP
Laptop = good AND cheap!
dell mp3 players = sucky

This is a fairly good summation. Except I am not a fan of their laptops. The business class laptops are definitely better than their consumer class ones, but they are still nothing compared to a thinkpad (pre-lenovo) or dare I say it, a MacBook Pro (+Boot Camp for you windows users). But hey, I bought my mom an Inspiron 600m and it's been fine for her use over the past 7 months, so maybe things are getting better. I have a friend who is buying the D620, so after he gets his, I MAY consider replacing my 3 year old Powerbook with it for daily use.

Their desktops are cheap, but they are far from reliable. I used to manage an entire computer lab of them (about 100+) and through my three years there, I ended up replacing EVERY motherboard, and EVERY hard drive, in each of the machines as a result of Dell shipping us some flawed machines. They never admitted they were all bad, and only after most had been replaced did they officially send us a crate of hard drives to replace the bad ones. We had horrendous downtime as a result of Dell taking their sweet time shipping us parts under warranty. The place I work now is a Dell shop as well, but using slightly better machines, so the parts turn over is quicker and not as frequent.

I'd probably trust them enough for a machine if it were available at the right price, and included a good 3+ year warranty (which I have had some good experiences with, especially when you clearly know more than the person you are talking to). I love their monitors but for the love of god, bring back the 2405FPW. Actually just give me the 2407FPW's screen in a case from a 2405FPW, because I do not like the new style of the xx07 series. I have one 2405 and want another (because I have gotten used to having 3 2001FPs and 2 1701FPs on my desk at work) but I can't find any in a decent price range, and would prefer the two match.

Don't say the "D" word. From now on refer to Dell's as "D's".

I have owned and used a Dimension 4550 since 2002 and there was a time when it gave me nothing but hell. It ran out of memory. It fried one of my H/D's wires. The CD drive they gave me quite literally BURNS cd's. And I really don't enjoy being on hold to India for an hour if I need tech assistance.

But in the recent year, its been quite good to me. I've managed it better and it operates well. I'm still stuck on USB 1.1 but thats my fault. The last time I reinstalled XP was October 2005....this is the longest I've ever had a single copy of it installed which should explain the amount of other technical problems I've had with it.