DeLorean might come back as a luxury EV

Eye-Q

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Mazda MX-5 NB ringmeet fashion accessory
It's currently just a short teaser, but apparently the company which owns the rights to the name DeLorean will try to bring out an EV (on the "sign up"-site it says "With your signup you will remain among the first to get updates as we prepare to premier the evolution of DeLorean in 2022. Your signup will allow us to share with you information around our journey to electrification"). Let's see what they can do. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnAQclTEc10

There is no way this car will be as cool as it already is inside my brain. I have no idea what it looks like in my head, but it already is the coolest vehicle made since the 1980s.

There is no way this car will be as cool as it already is inside my brain. I have no idea what it looks like in my head, but it already is the coolest vehicle made since the 1980s.
I think that’s their main issue. They’ll never be able to deliver on the hype that people will just build in their head because of the cult status and bttf.no matter how good the result is, it’ll never be good enough.

The word you are looking for is mystique.

Teaser looks nice

The big black void in the back bothered me more at first, but I didn't remember that he whole back end of the car was darker than the body:

1649269111819.png

Looks kinda like a sporty Hyundai, but in a good way. It's not bad!

I...I don't know why, but the first thought that popped into my head was: 2024 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

But...like...not in a bad way. In more of a "Huh...they finally got a design that kinda works."

1653950586889.png

Other views:

1653956347866.png

1653956365326.png

1653956425162.png

Attachments

• 1653956329273.png
    1653956329273.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 61
A 2+2 coupe that looks like a spaceship on the ground?

Sign me up.

Definitely.

Yes please, somehow the style manages to out-spaceship Tesla. I like the Model S and the Taycan but I'd much rather have this.

I really dislike it. As a generic, any-other-company EV, it'd be just fine. But as a Delorean (ahem, a DMC), I don't like it. Note and rear badges should be DMC, not Delorean, the slats on the back feel like they're only there because "a Delorean has gullwing doors and slats, right?!," the doors feel like someone wanted to get into a dick measuring competition with Tesla, and it just doesn't feel wedge-like. It's too bubbly.

Look everybody! More images of the DeLorean concept! Wait. No. That's a Lexus. Never mind.

You can't change the math of fluid dynamics, there's an optimal shape to move through the air and everyone is chasing it.

The shape is the shape, and I understand that. But you have the shrouded taillights, the big black expanse underneath, retro-modern EPCOT font across the back for the maker, some sort of deployable spoiler

I bet if we dig into the forums we would find the same complaints about "all cars looking the same" for the last 20 years. I would probably have done more to draw on the original DMC-12, but I'm a fanboy and they need to appeal to a mass market.

Michael Bay is probably already thinking about a Back to the Future re-boot pitch.

"Marty we have to -"
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM