Denmark vs. Islam

The only thing citizens are doing is boycotting products. The only people that have called for violence are the same people you hear everytime, no surprise there. Don't ignore the instigator and simply look at the reaction.

These nutjobs always want to control what other people are looking at or thinking. If you don't like a television show or a newspaper DON'T WATCH/READ THE DAMN THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

///M said:
The only thing citizens are doing is boycotting products. The only people that have called for violence are the same people you hear everytime, no surprise there. Don't ignore the instigator and simply look at the reaction.

Can't you see that it's messed up to punish people who had nothing to do with the printing of those drawings? There are no ties between Arla and Jyllandsposten, they are just lazy and Arla was the first Danish company they came up with.

It's like a football player getting tackled and he goes and takes it out on the audience.

As it's been said before, this is completely out of proportion.
It was really weird seing your own flag get burned instead of the usual American one. It surprised me, how it made me feel.
I just think there has been building up ALOT of frustration because of Isreal/Palestina, Iraq and so on in the Islamic cummunity, then this comes up and they just load off on Denmark. It was just a newspaper posting some stupid pics. like hundreds of other newspapers do everyday. And now it has been blown up in the islamic world as some grand assult on their relegion :bangin: . But now alot of other european newspapers are showing the pics. in sumpathie (sp?). Should be interesting to see what happens know. Just don't hope anyone get's hurt. One things for sure. This will definently take the west and the middleeast further apart.

zenkidori said:
Firecat said:
I have a problem with the drawings. This newspaper obviously had an agenda and wanted to incite some kind of negative reaction from the muslim community, otherwise why print them?
Um, so TF what? It's called free speech. Those kinds of cartoons run in papers across the US on a daily basis, satirising and making fun of any number of religious, political and celebrity icons from all corners of the globe, since when does that justify violence or the threat of it?

On the other hand, the idiots that are ... making threats are no different than the dumbass that drew those cartoons.
actually they are different, they are quite worse!

It's one thing to have an opposing viewpoint, or disagree with something, it's quite another to condemn a person and incite violence because they don't agree with you. This is why a good portion of the non-Islamic world has a dim view of Islam. These are actual citizens going nuts here, not just some crazy douchebag in a cave somewhere. When people from your own city, or somewhere you have been or know people, people who seemed reasonable get all crazy like this, of course people are going to think they're all nutters!

If they cartoons ran made fun of Bush you'd all be laughing, and when republicans got up in arms you'd all say they were overreacting and being evil and childish, how is this any different?

Yeah. It's free speech. So what? I'm not saying the government should stop it and I'm not justifying violence.

If a nazi was in my town making racist statements or something, yeah It's free speech....but if somebody kicked his ass, I wouldn't care. Actions have consequences.

and BTW, many countries have laws about incitement. I think publishing these drawings, which serve no purpose other than inciting violence, falls under that.

And I wouldn't compare it to cartoons of Bush or any other subject. If I had known about the plan to print these pictures before it happened, I could have told you about the reactions it would receive. It is known how muslims feel about depictions of the Prophet.

Eh, its nothing new for an American. We have been hated by various countries and people since 1787.

In time, it will all blow over, people will forget, life will go on. Dont worry, next week America will be back into the flag burning rotation.

Firecat said:
and BTW, many countries have laws about incitement. I think publishing these drawings, which serve no purpose other than inciting violence, falls under that.

And I wouldn't compare it to cartoons of Bush or any other subject. If I had known about the plan to print these pictures before it happened, I could have told you about the reactions it would receive. It is known how muslims feel about depictions of the Prophet.
So a satirical cartoon is a call for violence? Come on now, that's just stupid.

Why not compare them? It's well known how republicans react, does that justfy such an uneducated and knee-jerk reaction, including violence? No!

These Muslims are stupid, plain and simple. They do thier entire faith a disservice by acting like stupid monkeys.
Actions have consequences.
so you are basically saying that free speech doesn't count if a certain amount of people don't agree, and that speaking one's mind or opinion can rightfully be met with violence. How civilized :roll:

[not directed towards anyone on this board]It's a fucking cartoon, get over it you damned babies, quit your bitching, you just look stupid. Actions like this are why people hate you! If you can judge an entire country on the actions of a few, then why can they not judge you by the actions of your members? Take a look in the mirror you nutters!

and these other countries that published the pics as some kind of sign of solidarity....give me a break. Several of those countries have deported and put restrictions on Imam's who have critical views. And germany? They have very restrictive laws on free speech. France and German have made "holocaust denial" a criminal offence.

zenkidori said:
Firecat said:

So a satirical cartoon is a call for violence? Come on now, that's just stupid.

Why not compare them? It's well known how republicans react, does that justfy such an uneducated and knee-jerk reaction, including violence? No!

These Muslims are stupid, plain and simple. They do thier entire faith a disservice by acting like stupid monkeys.
Actions have consequences.
so you are basically saying that free speech doesn't count if a certain amount of people don't agree, and that speaking one's mind or opinion can rightfully be met with violence. How civilized :roll:

[not directed towards anyone on this board]It's a fucking cartoon, get over it you damned babies, quit your bitching, you just look stupid. Actions like this are why people hate you! If you can judge an entire country on the actions of a few, then why can they not judge you by the actions of your members? Take a look in the mirror you nutters!

You forgot to quote the part where I said it doesn't justify violence. What I'm saying is that I'm not at all shocked at the reaction and calls for violence. People do things knowing how others would react....they proceed at their own risk

Why not compare them? There is nothing sacred about Bush, is there?

Did I say that?

I think it should be settled fairly with the island going to the winner of a hockey game. :D

I think the US will be more troublesome to Canada's artic territory claims.

Z102 said:
I don't see anything in those drawings that I haven't seen 100 times in newspapers, only with Jesus and other icons of Christianity instead of Muhammad and Islam. And it's no big deal, at least for me. But it seems to me that among the Muslim community there are a few people that need to stir hate among their own people. It's very sad :(
That's the difference right there. It's one thing for a predominantly Christian nation to make fun of Jesus, and it's another thing entirely to make fun of Mohammed. If a jewish guy puts on an accent and makes a joke about the jews, people laugh. If a german guy does the same thing, he's called a Nazi, and everyone condemns him. What if this were a Chinese paper showing Jesus as a monster? Would you just say it's freedom of speech, or would it instead make you think twice about buying chinese products?

Death threats are taking it way to far, but not boycotting Danish companies. If you piss off the countries you export to, what do you expect? :roll:

Firecat said:
Now you're arguing like Justin, pulling in unrealted incidents that are just barely on the same plane. It sounded like you were basically saying, "well how dare the paper offend muslims, everyone knows what they do, they deserve what they get". That is what I took away anyhow. Off course it's going to piss people off, but don't you think that the reaction is a bit disproportionate? Look at how much Jesus Christ and Moses are made fun of, do you see entire nations getting all Jihad over it?

Regarding the links, I had seen reports of the incidents and both are stupid. WTF is "unlawful conduct" anyway, and what law was she allegedly not following? Scary IMO.

I didn't post the links as part of the argument. Just on the subject of free speech.

Perhaps there was a bit of an over-reaction. I mean, I've heard people say worse things (some prominent evangelicals for instance). Regardless, I still find it offensive. And that says a lot, because I don't really get offended by much.

and on a side-note....I do have a problem with depictions of Jesus and Moses as well (in film, cartoons, or whatever...positive or negative).