Denmark vs. Islam

The notion of a supernatural god is by it's very nature, unable to be proved or disproved. It is the perfect self-sustaining dillision.

zenkidori said:
The notion of a supernatural god is by it's very nature, unable to be proved or disproved. It is the perfect self-sustaining dillision.

Proving non-existance just can't happen - 4000 years of well argued logic is compelling enough for me on that...

A complete absence of credible evidence for existance is as close as it gets.

...close enough for me.

Firecat said:
Do you believe in life on other planets?

I believe in the strong probability of life on other (extra solar) planets.

Carbon chemistry is carbon chemistry, here, there, everywhere and (almost) everywhen...

I doubt we will ever have an interactive relationship with alian life due to the spacetime involved and the lightspeed problem.

But there is no evidence to prove this existence. It's a matter of belief, granted your belief is probably rooted in scientific theory and mine philosophical (and to some degree theological).

The idea that proteins have combined elsewhere to create what we would classify as life somewhere in our vast and, to our knowledge, infinate universe isn't exactly a leap of faith.

^^^ we're having this discussion again??? ;)

Firecat said:
But there is no evidence to prove this existence. It's a matter of belief, granted your belief is probably rooted in scientific theory and mine philosophical (and to some degree theological).

No proof, but it seems likely, if chemistry is consistent accross the universe, that some sort of recombinant, self-replicating stuff will happen, which is for all practical purposes life, will happen anywhere that carbon and liquid water occur...

...at least.

My view is based on the observed universe, undiminished by god.

swek said:
He's talking about this thread where the subject has been touched (?)
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=5342

That does look horribly familliar. :)

swek said:
This thread is going a bit Off Topic. If you want to discuss the possibility of extraterrestrial life create your own thread for it. :)

It has drifted just a little...

The point (IIRC) of the digression was that you cannot expect behaviour consistant with belief from non believers, nor should you.

This is not a problem for the rational liberal atheist who would grant religious freedom, but it is for the delusional authoritarian theists who would use such freedoms...

Paradoxes, paradoxes...

:roll:

(...and why did Santa leave his hat at my house?)

fluffnik said:
This is not a problem for the rational liberal atheist who would grant religious freedom, but it is for the delusional authoritarian theists who would use such freedoms...

Paradoxes, paradoxes...

Don't be so general. There are plenty of "rational liberal atheists" who treat religious people like retards.....

jeffy777 said:
fluffnik said:

Paradoxes, paradoxes...

Don't be so general. There are plenty of "rational liberal atheists" who treat religious people like retards.....

Of course.

They might even draw cartoons to lampoon your (delusional) beliefs.

fluffnik said:
jeffy777 said:
fluffnik said:

Paradoxes, paradoxes...

Of course.

They might even draw cartoons to lampoon your (delusional) beliefs.

That's kind of arrogant of you, don't you think? To call my beliefs false?

He doesn't need to know you personally to know your beliefs if you subscribe to one of the big three.
A much better way of stating my earlier point.

zenkidori said:
He doesn't need to know you personally to know your beliefs if you subscribe to one of the big three.
A much better way of stating my earlier point.

I think what he said about my beliefs being "delusional" proves my point: that some atheists can be just as intolerant about religious freedom (treating religious people like retards because we may not agree with them). But whatever. You guys seem to have your minds made up pretty well, so I'll take my "deluded" self elsewhere :thumbsdown:

I think you are right, that many atheists could be just as closed minded as religious people, evidenced by the fact that some people want to make evangelizing illegal and such things. I also think there is more of a push to "convert" people coming from religious people tho, as most atheists are rather indifferent to your faith if you aren't bothering them about it.

Did you hear about the dyslexic, atheist, insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a Dog.