Denmark vs. Islam

Kip_6666 said:
Holocaust Denier Gets Three Years in Jail

Right-wing British historian, David Irving, has been convicted in Austria of denying the Holocaust and sentenced to three years in prison.

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/feeds/ap/2006/02/20/ap2539581.html

Strange that this just happened today. Hypocrites. I feel ashamed, I hope Brussels steps in.

I really dont get this, why is this "abuse of freedom of speech" because as Swek said its a part of democracy
Being offended is the very nature of Democracy. You're offended, I'm offended that's just the way it is.
I dont want to be ignorant again, i will respect jewish sentiments, I'm not questioning the holocaust (But I haven't studied it either, im not much of a history dude, but i hope not knowing about it isnt also a crime) but why shouldnt anyone be allowed to question it. I might say here that so what if they are offended, its a part of democracy, shouldnt that guy have the freedom to say whatever he likes after all he is only SAYING it, why should he go to jail for it, I dont understand how this is different

Scud said:
Zenki I cant marry my cousin.
You have to be american to do that.
Ba-dah chi!
HA! I GET IT! HE'S SAYING THAT ALL AMERICANS ARE REDNECKS!!! WHO MARRY THEIR COUSINS! MAN, THAT'S FUNNY. THAT'S HILARIOUS, DUDE. YOU DESERVE A COMEDY CENTAL SPECIAL, MY FRIEND. I'VE NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE! BRILLIANT! LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PRESENTING SCUD, THE NEWEST COMEDIC SENSATION! WHAT'S NEXT FROM SCUD, A JOKE ABOUT HOW AMERICANS CAN'T FIND YYURROPPE ON A MAP? GENIUS!

Man, I hate the Internet sometimes. But it's sooo addicting...

Edit: Whoa, when'd vo0d0o return? Holy shit! How's the Z4, man? Welcome back! :mrgreen:

BlaRo said:
Scud said:
Zenki I cant marry my cousin.
You have to be american to do that.
Ba-dah chi!
HA! I GET IT! HE'S SAYING THAT ALL AMERICANS ARE REDNECKS!!! WHO MARRY THEIR COUSINS! MAN, THAT'S FUNNY. THAT'S HILARIOUS, DUDE. YOU DESERVE A COMEDY CENTAL SPECIAL, MY FRIEND. I'VE NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE! BRILLIANT! LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PRESENTING SCUD, THE NEWEST COMEDIC SENSATION! WHAT'S NEXT FROM SCUD, A JOKE ABOUT HOW AMERICANS CAN'T FIND YYURROPPE ON A MAP? GENIUS!

Man, I hate the Internet sometimes. But it's sooo addicting...

Yeah, his intelligent insults really help us to see the validity of his claims.

When people make fun Americans they forget that Americans are descendants of other countries, especially European ones. And my dad's family is originally from Finland *gasp* isn't that where you're from Scud? It's lame to throw these kinds of insults. "You're from that country so you must be like this............errrrrrr yeah!!!"

So again, we seee that Scud is another person who loves to generalize! It's one of the lamest things to do if you ask me....

v0od0o said:
Read a bit here, was contemplating posting but thanks guys. This page reminded me of exactly why I never (except for once) post in the political section :)
Well you work for M$ so you're evil no matter what ;)

tranceshakeel said:
why should he be banned, im not being ignorant but shouldnt he be alowed to say what he likes, isnt that free speech

Yup, you got it in one; free speech is for everyone.

Lilleput said:
Whats hes doing has nothing to do with free speach, hes just being a 12yr old attention whore who will say anything to get us to quote him..

Even 12yr old attention whores should be able to excecise free speech. Censoring him is far worse than anything he says.

Yeah, but there are limits, and that's up to Viper (and the mods) to decide. I don't know if he reads much of the political stuff though. The other thread where Scud said a bunch of "holocaust didn't happen" stuff got locked so....I think if he wants to go on and on about it then he should start his own website or something and spare us the time.

The funny thing is that he didnt drop the name Irving, the only famous critic of the holocaust, if Scud would be so clever as he claims, then he would have used that example then. :bangin:

tranceshakeel said:
I dont want to be ignorant again, i will respect jewish sentiments, I'm not questioning the holocaust (But I haven't studied it either, im not much of a history dude, but i hope not knowing about it isnt also a crime) but why shouldnt anyone be allowed to question it. I might say here that so what if they are offended, its a part of democracy, shouldnt that guy have the freedom to say whatever he likes after all he is only SAYING it, why should he go to jail for it, I dont understand how this is different
I do agree with you here. After WW2 those laws were introduced in some parts of Europe to protect them from the idea's of the Nazi (at least that is what I remember). This is actually a limitation of freedom of speech, but I dont see this changing in Germany or Austria anytime soon. This topic is so strange.

tranceshakeel said:
why should he be banned, im not being ignorant but shouldnt he be alowed to say what he likes, isnt that free speech

There's a big difeerence between saying what you like and insulting an individual. There are also good manners to be considered, and I would hope that they would be upheld in public forums.

This forum is not an utopistic haven, but here there are rules that need to be followed, curtious behaviour towards other being among them. Scuds remarks haven't really fallen under that category.

mmap said:
tranceshakeel said:

There's a big difeerence between saying what you like and insulting an individual. There are also good manners to be considered, and I would hope that they would be upheld in public forums.

This forum is not an utopistic haven, but here there are rules that need to be followed, curtious behaviour towards other being among them. Scuds remarks haven't really fallen under that category.

Very well said :thumbup:

mmap said:
...but here there are rules that need to be followed, curtious behaviour towards other being among them. Scuds remarks haven't really fallen under that category.

And BTW, this also applies to Zenkidori, no matter how provoked he might have felt.

mmap said:
mmap said:
...but here there are rules that need to be followed, curtious behaviour towards other being among them. Scuds remarks haven't really fallen under that category.

And BTW, this also applies to Zenkidori, no matter how provoked he might have felt.
I'm sorry I just feel that hate speech ranks higher up on the shitlist than a simple "fuck you".

Just saw that there is a "60 minutes" special about this, it's on here in an hour, don't know when it airs anywhere else or if it has aired already.
It said it was the crisis seen with american eyes.

The Colbert Report had something(well many things) funny to say about this. If these nutjobs who go all berserk over a cartoon are trying to get nukes, then if they aren't worth a pre-emptive strike who is?

mgkdk said:
Just saw that there is a "60 minutes" special about this, it's on here in an hour, don't know when it airs anywhere else or if it has aired already.
It said it was the crisis seen with american eyes.

Oh man that programme pissed me off!!

They made fun of us saying that the "guards" we had protecting the Queen looked like something out of the 14th sentury - Well, its a tradition, they arent really protecting her because she does not need protecting - We dont assasinate public figures - We're wierd i know.

They also stated that this tiny country lived in a faryland kind of state where we diddent pay attention to all the problems in the world - Guess thats why we helped, and are still helping in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran and countless African countries.. The whole thing seemed poorly done - Guess its hard to find information on a country when you think Copenhagen is the capital of Ikea.. /rant

You are in Iran? Not with your army i guess? Well I hope at least... ;)