Desktop keeps resetting

LeVeL

Forum Addict
So here I am playing good ol' GTA San Andreas :)lol:) when the screens goes very staticy/fuzzy. Minimize the game - everything looks fine. Get back into the game and the screen starts getting worse in a hurry. By the time I get to a save point about 20 seconds later, I can barely see. Save, quit the game, and realize that the desktop now has some fuzzy specs all over the screen.

Restart. It freezes on the Starting Windows screen. This has happened before, I know what to do: open up the case, reseat the GPU and RAM. Power on... It runs for about two seconds before shutting down and starting back up five seconds later. Rinse and repeat. No beeps, nothing unusual.

Took the GPU and RAM out again and put them back in. Same thing.
Take each RAM stick out one by one and keep trying various combinations. Same thing.

Specs below. This thing is about three years old. Yes, the GPU sucks.

I'm guessing it's a problem with GPU or mobo... right?

Maybe the graphics card is overheating. Log the temperatures of the graphics card via GPU-Z (be sure to check the "Continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in background"-checkbox).

Or is the PC now in a state where it doesn't boot up anymore? Do you have another graphics card to test? If yes, that's the easiest way to find out if it's the mobo or the graphics card.

Sounds like the GPU has died to me, or at least has overheated and not had time to cool down. First thing I'd do it take the card out and check that it boots up fine on onboard graphics, then you can plan which card you're going to buy to replace that ancient 8800GT. :p

Well, the 2500k has integrated graphics, but the mobo doesn't have any connectors for that on the backpanel so you're stuck with discrete graphics with that combination.

[edit]
Ninja'd...
[/edit]

Crap man, I have a 560 TI with the same CPU and 4GB more RAM and I feel behind times. Look into a 970 or something above the 760 for an upgrade.

Just had to say that I thought it was hilarious that the "new posts" page showed me that this thread had 0 views, but 6 replies. :lol:

Mobo doesn't have onboard video so without the GPU the PC just keeps resetting as before.

Bugger. Neither of mine have onboard either but I was hedging my bets on yours being one of the majority that do have it. :lol:

I have a GTX 660 at the moment, which apparently can be within your budget if you're happy with a budget brand. It plays everything I would want and kicked the crap out of my 9800GTX+ so in any form it would be a nice step up from the 8800.

Any of them will work fine with your system, the P8P67-EVO has the most features for the money. Going down one model (PRO) will lose the onboard power buttons and going up one (Deluxe) will give you a debug LED. The Maximus has a bunch of gimmicky "gamer" features you'll never use, or care about.

Mobo and video card replaced. Turns on and stays on! Yay!

However now the monitor has no signal. On to the next issue...

Is that with the old PSU? Could indicate that the card isn't getting sufficient power.