Ownership Verified: Detroit Steel: The CraigB/Dr_Grip 1972 Ford Country Sedan adventure thread

Craig, you are a legend!

And photos next to Smarts, Up!s, etc, will be taken. As will be a photo of the car not or barely fitting on my parent's driveway...

Craig just e-mailed me the original window sticker. Turns out he was right when he inspected the car and it indeed has front disk brakes!

By 72 all cars had front discs.
Window sticker says it was a $50 optional extra. As it was on the Kadett. That received front disks as standard only with the 1977 facelift.

By 72 all cars had front discs.

Could still get front drums in the US and Europe until the 80s. The Beetle had drums until 1995 and was sold with optional front discs until 1999, when the drum model was finally taken out back and shot.

Last edited:
The Suzuki SJ offroader had drums for a long time.

Other than that, it's been ages since I saw a car with front drums in my neck of the woods.

The Suzuki SJ offroader had drums for a long time.

Other than that, it's been ages since I saw a car with front drums in my neck of the woods.

Seen a Trabant or Beetle lately? :p

Trabant? Beetle? I thought we were discussing actual cars here.

The scary thing is, that that was the level of technology when humans last walked on the moon.

Awesome work. Car looks beautiful, much better than anything I've seen for sale around here, unless you like your massive wagons crispy. :cool:

The scary thing is, that that was the level of technology when humans last walked on the moon.

Well, as long as they're hydraulic. IIRC, the cheapest British cars had mechanical brakes for an embarrassingly long time.

Lucille, Gena and I will be starting the final leg of our journey in a little over an hour. Gena requested that I not wake her until 08:00. Lucille didn't make such a request

After checking out the window that Lucille was still there, I wish I would have gone a little further yesterday. As St Louis traffic looks to be a bear this morning. Nothing like trying to navigate 13,000 pounds worth of US steel on roads were people don't appreciate what it's like to pull a trailer. Especially one with cargo as precious as Lucille.

As St Louis traffic looks to be a bear this morning. Nothing like trying to navigate 13,000 pounds worth of US steel on roads were people don't appreciate what it's like to pull a trailer. Especially one with cargo as precious as Lucille.
Sorry to hear that :( Hope you'll make it through save, sound and without losing your mind.

This is all kind of awesome.

Big thumbs up to all involved, this is really FG at it's best :)

I don't generally like 70s american cars, but I still think that this one is awesome. Really nice find!

Congrats on the whole project, seems like an epic adventure.

Now with the fuel in Germany being like 1.6? a liter, how much exactly does it take to run it there?

Last edited: