Spoilers: Dexter on Showtime

sweet irony, in the book dexter was the one that killed LaGuerta.

Well, I guess that could still happen. But I wish I never read what you wrote, I think a spoiler tag would have been appropriate.

I'm thinking Deb will find out about Dex's mom, ice truck killer brother etc.

sorry about the spoiler, i guess i wasnt thinking. However it happens in the first book so i didnt ruin the other ones for you. There is plenty more to find out, trust me :)

Maybe Dexter does end up killing LaGuerta in the TV series. I have a hard time beliving that she won't suspect Dexter after all of this. She confides in him about Miguel and he turns up dead the next day, plus he set up a fake meeting with her too, so he could grab Miguel.

I would venture a guess that one of the main storylines next season will be LaGuerta having growing suspicions of Dex.

Maybe Dexter does end up killing LaGuerta in the TV series. I have a hard time beliving that she won't suspect Dexter after all of this. She confides in him about Miguel and he turns up dead the next day, plus he set up a fake meeting with her too, so he could grab Miguel.

I would venture a guess that one of the main storylines next season will be LaGuerta having growing suspicions of Dex.

That's what I was thinking after he mentioned it.

But would Dexter kill someone that is innocent? He locked Doakes up, but didn't kill him....not sure how that story would have ended if the other chick didn't burn down the cabin though.

But would Dexter kill someone that is innocent? He locked Doakes up, but didn't kill him....not sure how that story would have ended if the other chick didn't burn down the cabin though.

He killed Oscar, and we don't know if he was a killer. Maybe he was just there to really hurt Freebo... he was probably going to kill him though.

Also, Dexter's first rule is don't get caught, remember? So I think one or two collateral kills would be allowed if his freedom was at risk.

Plus, didn't someone say he kills LaGuerta in the book? What had she done in the story there to deserve murder?

I think Oscar was an accident. You are right about his rule, but I just don't see his character as being one that would deliberately kill someone innocent. Of course, he did it in the book but I assume the series differs greatly from the book (like always).

Darn...I just remembered, he killed that woman in the hospital even though she asked.

What an anti-climactic end to the season. I enjoyed season 3 mucho overall, but the finale was definitely weak - probably in the 3 least exciting episodes of the season for me.

They wrapped up everything so quickly. So Ramon turns out to be one of these reactionary bullies who act out because of daddy issues. And the Skinner, what the eff? For two episodes in a row Dexter has gotten broken himself free from impossibly tight rope around his hands and feet. And then he just disappears out of sight when the cops appear, and in a matter of 4 seconds ties George King on a rope and throws him from the roof... or something like that, it made no sense to me.

Now that I think about it, it was a majorly crappy finale. They didn't answer any of the questions that were brought up over the last few episodes. When did Miguel start working with the Skinner? I think it's highly improbable that someone like the Skinner would massacre a dozen people because some deadbeat dealer owes him $50g.

I hope they have some kickass ideas for next season, because every part of this story was wrapped up in a hurried and illogical fashion. I don't even know if Deb will still be curious about Harry's mistress next season, she didn't seem to care by the end of the episode. Also, did anyone notice Quinn passing out cigars at the wedding? My Quinn obsession continues, but maybe he has some ties to the tobacco factory mentioned. :D

Migule must have been a great character, because episode 12 felt very boring.

And as a closing note, Rita looked so good in her wedding dress. And I've noticed this season LaGuerta is a fairly hot piece of ace as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree about LaGuerta...and I've always loved Rita (Julie Benz), even though her character can be annoying at time. She will always be Darla to me (Buffy/Angel).

I liked this episode, although I wished Deb saw him off the skinner...I didn't like that get away. He said the skinner was like him, and just using the money as an excuse to kill others. I don't think he tied him with the rope, but rather just chucked him off the platform.

What an anti-climactic end to the season.

I called it weeks ago, this season just had too many storylines and they waited too long to wrap them up (seriously, in the span of 3 episodes prado goes from BFF to Evil bastard to Dead, they had 12 episodes to do that, but wasted time on that stupid ass quinn/anton sub-plot that went NOWHERE.).

Season 1: Enter Dexter, Enter Brother, Dexter reacts to brother

Season 2: Police find dexters bodies, Dokes and crazy girlfriend.

Season 3: Oscar prado, freebo, freebos girlfriend, skinner, quinn, bad quinn? anton, wedding, deb fucking anton, old lawyer chick, miguel, dexter finding a friend, ramon and his drinking, miguel lies and kills, and FINALLY they decide to throw in (SPOILER!!!)ritahavinganotherhusband(SPOILER!!!) at the end.

Notice anything? How it might affect pacing and story structure?0

Last edited:
I totally agree with that, now anyway. Most of the storylines actually could have been interesting, but there just wasn't enough time. I think even just by starting to wrap things up one or two episodes before the finale would have been fine, but they failed miserably.

The more I think about it the more the I realize the finale was horribly written. I still enjoyed the first 11 episodes, but the writing for the finale was way, way below the Dexter standard.

Honestly, why the hell did we have to sit through such shitty plots as Angel and his new butch girlfriend, Quinn and his crazy AzN ex, Camilla the bookkeeper not willing to bite the dust until she has so much pie her head explodes? I don't know what they were thinking, but Dexter longing for a true friend and also expecting a baby would have been enough to carry this season.

Last edited:
I called it weeks ago, this season just had too many storylines and they waited too long to wrap them up (seriously, in the span of 3 episodes prado goes from BFF to Evil bastard to Dead, they had 12 episodes to do that, but wasted time on that stupid ass quinn/anton sub-plot that went NOWHERE.).

Season 1: Enter Dexter, Enter Brother, Dexter reacts to brother

Season 2: Police find dexters bodies, Dokes and crazy girlfriend.

Season 3: Oscar prado, freebo, freebos girlfriend, skinner, quinn, bad quinn? anton, wedding, deb fucking anton, old lawyer chick, miguel, dexter finding a friend, ramon and his drinking, miguel lies and kills, and FINALLY they decide to throw in (SPOILER!!!)ritahavinganotherhusband(SPOILER!!!) at the end.

Notice anything? How it might affect pacing and story structure?0

I completely agree.

Overall I have to say the story line of Season 3 was kind of bland the writers didn't do a good job at portraying Dexter as the character that he presented to viewers in Season 1. He lost a bit of his touch. I realize that Season 3 was supposed to be different but I think the writer's got a little side tracked and ended up making this show similar to 50 other drama TV shows on television. It just lost a feel to me. The first half of Season 3, I just kept saying to myself..."Look at all the plots and story lines they are setting up" but was kind of bored while they were doing this foreshadowing/future proofing of the show. Then by episode 12 you realize that you were let down by the lack of follow through by the writers. All of that set-up with characters and such, just to have a typical unspectacular ending. I was largely disappointed but I am still hopeful for a rebound story line for Season 4.

Shawn said:
Camilla the bookkeeper not willing to bite the dust until she has so much pie her head explodes?
Forgot all about this, which kind of highlights how uninteresting the first part of season 3 was for me. Then it started to pick up and then a huge let down. That Camilla storyline was nearly pointless, the only the writers got out of that whole story line was more details about Harry, which is nice, but there has to be a more interesting way to get that kind of details out. Don't really care to see a dying women that had next to nothing to do with the previous 2 seasons over and over for several episodes talk about the "perfect" pie. Screw the symbolism, let's move on.

Last edited:
I actually just watched all 3 seasons nearly back to back and for the first time. Definitely gives you a different view of the series when you do this I think.

The first season was my favorite so far, mostly because Dexter was so slick that he made next to no mistakes. I thought they could have continued letting him be a bad ass for longer, instead of starting the second season off with him making bad decisions and getting caught and stuff. I was very happy with the fact that Dexter killing people had next to no effect on the rest of his life (on the outside at least). The second and third season was completely different and he became much less of a bad ass.

Season 3 was a lot cooler then season 2, since he got some of his bad ass professionalism back again (still not as much as 1 though). It was clear from Dexter's monologues in season 1 that he desired camaraderie when it came to his "hobby", so its not surprising to me that he would go the route of finding a friend. I thought Lila might have been a possibility for that role, but Miguel worked alright too. It still lacked that "I'm so good that no one even realizes that I'm doing it" factor that season 1 had, and which I hope they bring back with season 4.

Overall its a really neat series, particularly because it makes you root for someone who does despicable things. I'm kind of bummed that I decided to start watching just now, since its going to be a while till the next series starts. The website says Fall of 2009 with filming starting a few months into 2009.

Now I just have to find another show to watch all the way through, any suggestions? I've watched Lost, Heroes, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Fringe, Merlin, BSG, Entourage, Knight Rider, Legend of the Seeker and several others that I can't think of. Figure I'll try out Californication since that keeps getting mentioned. Any others I should try if I like the above?

JH

Last edited:
It depends what you are looking for. My 2 fave series are Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel. Right now I'm watching Six Feet Under (started off slow, but into the 8th ep and loving it). I'm also watching Charmed, in season 2 right now. Some other shows that aren't on any more but were awesome...Rome, Veronica Mars, Firefly, Sleeper Cell.

As far as current shows go. Chuck, Gossip Girl, Supernatural (one of the best shows IMO), Smallville (last 2 seasons have been really good), Bones (another fave of mine), 24, True Blood, Kyle XY, Greek (also really great), Eureka, Burn Notice (Brilliant)

Hmmm....I could go on forever (I haven't even included comedies). I recently watched "Jeremiah" which ran for 2 seasons on Showtime, it started off really slow but by the end of season 1 it was fantastic and season 2 was brilliant.

I mean this in the kindest way: Damn thats a lot of TV dude, maybe consider going outside and getting some sun :)

I mean this in the kindest way: Damn thats a lot of TV dude, maybe consider going outside and getting some sun :)

I find time to watch all these shows, usually very late nights. I do work a lot and bike as well :cool:

Just around the corner? It's over two months still. :lol:

I'm looking forward to it... since I watched Breaking Bad that's become my favourite show of this genre but Dexter should be good.

John Lithgow is awesome and so was that Lundy guy who is supposed to be coming back... I hope they bring it back a little bit from the Miguel ridiculousness we had at the end with the loose endings.

Just around the corner? It's over two months still. :lol:

I'm looking forward to it... since I watched Breaking Bad that's become my favourite show of this genre but Dexter should be good.

John Lithgow is awesome and so was that Lundy guy who is supposed to be coming back... I hope they bring it back a little bit from the Miguel ridiculousness we had at the end with the loose endings.

Lol, well I dunno about your boring life, but 2 months flies by in my lil world. ;)

Seriously though, Dexter is probably the only show I've looked forward to watching this year.