Spoilers: Dexter on Showtime

Bleh, just as I said 4 posts up... Although I thought Hannah would be the one. This is even more fucked up, and I don't like it :/

Dexter: Season 8 Episode 1

Dexter: Season 8 Episode 1

So tonight Dexter returns and wow! But if you don't have on demand or watched it already i've spoiler proofed some thoughts.

Debs gone over the edge. Dexter is not far behind and losing control.
The Dr. knows that he is a psychopath, serial killer, and has a code
light speculation
The Dr. had the drawings because Dexter drew them for her.
Pure speculation and might be a huge spoiler if im right
Matthews, and Harry believed that Dexter was a psychopath in the making. The Dr. with Mattews and Harry colluded to make Dexter the way he is and gave him his code. The question being nature or nurture was Dexter a born psychopath or was he shaped by Harry and the Dr.

I guess I'm glad this is last season. Last year it already felt like the show jumped the shark, and now it's more of the same but sloppier writing.

I want to know everything about the main story line, but everything else was a bit...

Mother-fuckingpassword, really? :lol:

And then Dexter walks in and casually kills Deb's "boyfriend" :lol: This is just silly.

Damnit! I am still in the process of catching up. After discovering Dexter only a few weeks ago, I just saw 7x01. To quote my new favourite curse-word-throwing character: "Holy Frankenfuck!"

I hope that by next week, I'll be up to date. It's only 12 episodes per season, after all...

*push*

So, I've finished catching up and am now in the weekly waiting-for-new-ep mode... at least for the few weeks till the show ends.

Spoilers until 8.02 follow!

Season 7 was mostly so-so, but had the strong point of the Debra-Dexter storyline. Unfortunately, after a really good beginning, that was detiorating too. The season finale then gave us the shocker of Debra actually murdering someone (and a non-code-fitting person to boot!), which is a big step from "just" covering for your brother. And we had seen before what toll that alone took on her (the prescription drug thing).

Now, two eps into season 8, I am on one hand glad that they acknowledged how that changed Debra, i.e. that it pushed her over the edge big-time. But on the other hand I am just disappointed at the execution. A six-month gap between Deb and Dex being in a shipping container standing over the bodies of two people they just murdered and the next scene? We never saw the reactions to LaGuerta's death from anyone. So, Batista cancels his retirement. Matthews back. Debra quitting and going rogue, more or less. But they nevcer actually showed us any of that.
And, to me equally important, Dex had to stage the crime scene to cover up Deb and him being there, and, you know, LaGuerta's body having a bullet in her that I can only assume came from Debra's service weapon and thus should have been traced right back to Deb without a fuss. Now how the fuck did he manage do convice his colleagues that LaGuerta and that other guy shot each other? We know Dexter has his ways of disappearing evidence, but I'd like to have seen it on what's probably the most important time ever.
I really, really would have liked to see the crime scene investigation of MMPD on that one.

Season 8 so far: Debra's story is to me more interesting, because she is a more compelling character. Having deliberatedly killed a person apparently caused her to just lose it. And apparently she is keen on not missing out on anything on her way down the spiral...
Switch to Dexter himself. Well, a "meet your maker" story for the last season was not exactly a surprise. Let's see how it plays out. I still want to see the series end on a happy note, both for him and for Debra. But the overwhelming theme of the show is that Dexter's lifestyle causes mayhem left and right, and most profoundly on his loved ones. So let's see...

Last edited:
Anyone else is watching this season just to get it over with?

If it wasn't the last season, I would have given up already. Finale is in a few days, but I'm 4 episodes behind still.

The fact that Dexter runs in parallel with Breaking Bad right now puts in perspective just how bad soap opera it has become :(

This is what happens when the suits insist on dragging out the series another season when the writers wanted to end it last year.

I'm watching it, this last season is very weak, with some bright moments here and there. But generally it is a clusterfuck of plotholes, useless filler side stories (daughter boobs anyone?) and soap opera romance.

This guy put together a much better storyline for the final season than the whole Dexter production team combined.
[video=youtube;Hl407-PZa3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl407-PZa3k[/video]

YEP... I can't say that I have not enjoyed watching Dexter but some of the magic did dissipate. Looking back after season 4 some of the plot points were really suffering. Looking back it would have been hilarious if in the middle of this season Dexter was hit and killed by a car accident while transporting his blood slides. The rest of the season could be the Dept., his sister, and those around him trying to deal with the knowledge that he was this massive psychopath killer. And for us the payoff is Harrison is talking to his father daily while this is going on.

Oh and Ray Romano guest stars

Yeah, me too. It's sad, really. Dexter has caught me like no other series in the last years (I admit that there are quite a few that I haven't tried yet), but in the last two to three seasons, the show manages to disappoint big time again and again.

The problem is that they almost constantly come up with situations that pave the way for really epic follow-up arcs, mainly with the Deb-Dex relationship, and then abandon the opportunity.

In Season 8, there are a lot of problems with the writing. The biggest one is Dr. Vogel. A totally unlikable manipulative bitch, yet Dexter totally falls under her spell.
Also, Dexter undergoes a character development. He began in Season 1 as a man who needed to kill, and channeled his needs in a, well, practical way. By now he doesn't need to kill anymore, he's overcome that "addiction". When he kills now, he does so because he feels someone has to "be taken care of" and does so in the only way he knows. But this, while in general most commendable, causes him to make mistakes because he's not up to his game. Bottom line: He's catching the idiot ball a lot. Almost all of his interaction with Dr. Vogel, Zack and Saxon is affected by that, and it's painful to watch.
Spoiler for ep. 8x11:
Deciding to let Saxon live and tell the tale? He's only barely dogded the Bay Harbour Butcher accusation several times and with great cost (almost losing his sister). How the hell is it a good idea to let someone live that basically knows his whole story and, with a death sentence waiting for him anyway, doesn't have much motivation to keep his mouth shut?
Of course, thanks to the most useless character this season - U.S. Marshall Whatshisname - Debra once again pays the price.

And in general, the Vogel-Zack-Saxon-BrainSurgeon storyline as such feels plotholey and made up on the spot. Plus, how Deb is suddenly okay with all that's happening after she spent so much time in self-destruct mode lacks plausibility in my opinion.

Well, last ep tomorrow, or more likely Tuesday for me. If they do a happy ending, it'd be most unusual for the series...

Last edited:
This guy put together a much better storyline for the final season than the whole Dexter production team combined.
[video=youtube;Hl407-PZa3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl407-PZa3k[/video]

g007_citizen_kane_slow_clap.gif

Oh well. Spoilers for the last episode of the series ahead, naturally.

I didn't expect a happy ending, because experience told me that Dexter seasons never end exactly well. Most did end on a bittersweet note, with the notable exception of Rita's death in S4, which was a real downer ending.
So, the last episode certainly lived up to my expectations of leaving me a bit depressed. There is no happiness for Dexter. More to the point, there is no happiness for anyone. Debra's death was to be expected, given the way they handled her throughout the episode. But it was nevertheless very sad. And losing her, for real this time, sent Dexter over the despair horizon. And he didn't even succeeded in commiting suicide...
Deb's death and Dexter's assumed death leaves everyone else shattered, too. First and foremost Hannah and Harrison, presumably at least, and of course Angel, Quinn (his face said it all...), the rest of them.

It was almost comedic that Dexter committed cold-blooded murder, and I mean visibly cold-blooded with really bad pretending of self-defense and panicking, in front of a police camera, and his colleagues believed him. Well, at least Saxon is dead, too. Too late for Deb. :(

But, apart from the overall impression of depression that was executed reasonably well, the last episode once again lacked in the details. Everything with Hannah, Harrison, or Deb's former boss left me absolutely cold. The flashbacks with Deb and Dex and the baby as well (mainly because I hate babies, even more so on TV). The callbacks to earlier seasons (ice truck!) could not salvage that.

Overall verdict: It's over. And please don't make a sequel movie or so - after all, with Dex, Hannah and Harrison still alive, that's possible.

It was almost comedic that Dexter committed cold-blooded murder, and I mean visibly cold-blooded with really bad pretending of self-defense and panicking, in front of a police camera, and his colleagues believed him.

Oh, I disagree, you must have misread the situation. I think Angel and Quinn understood exactly what happened there, and understood why Dexter did it.

"It's obviously self-defense" - meaning Dexter wont have to worry about being accused of murder.
And of course Quinn's "I'm glad he's dead. Wish I could have done it myself".

That was my favourite bit about this episode, maybe the only one I liked. And it would be even cooler if after Dexter's disappearance Quinn and Angel made the connections and realized Dexter was a serial killer, kinda like in that rewrite video. Because this ending accomplishes nothing except terminating all the outstanding story lines in a crude way, leaving one massive meh-feeling.

Yeah, the show Sopranos faded to black, and Dexter faded to meh.

Oh, I disagree, you must have misread the situation.
Could well be. I am so used to the other police being trmendously ignorant about what Dexter does, I might have missed it.
But on the other hand, Angel looked genuinely shocked - but then again, it was probably the "how do we explain this" shock...

Just watched the last episode. I'll make it short. Dexter was an awesome show, one of my favorite, but the last season and especially the finale were absolutely shit.