DHCP client problem

Wizegui

Car(s)
'93 Toyota Tercel, '01 Swagger Wagon
Recently, my machine has been slow. It runs the applications fine, but it takes forever to open a folder (even one with nothing in it). I can't disable it since I need it to go on the internet. I've done virus scans, spyware scans, and Ive come up with nothing. I got help and narrowed it down to the DHCP Client using msconfg. Is there any way to replace the DHCP Client or fix it? Thanks.

Last edited:
I disabled all Services and Startup programs with msconfg
Windows Explorer worked fine.
I enabled Startup programs - fine.
I enabled Services - not fine.
I enabled the Services 10 by 10 this time, and narrowed it down to 10.
Eventually, the problem turned out to be the DHCP Client.

Yeah, very strange. Haven't heard of something like this before. What Jensked suggested should work, since it's a work around where you wouldn't need the dhcp client service to start.
See what IP is normally given, write down the details then implement those statically.

But then again, it shouldn't be slowing you down. DHCP is one of the most normal things there are, could be some corruption / virus malware thing going on. But you've already checked this :/
I'd give this a shot to be a bit more certain:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I googled this: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-212240.php
Seems similar to your problem. It's a bit complicated though. Suggesting that windows explorer is screwed up because a 3rd party program has been "inserted" into the explorer. Like a google search bar, or an Adobe icon to quickly change a document into a PDF, etc..
Still I don't get why the DHCP client would be effected by this... but MS have been known to let certain things to do more than one job.

I'm pretty sure I had the same problem. What I did was do some spyware/virus scans and the problem suddenly went away. But you said you'd already scanned so... :dunno: