Diablo III

diablo is not wow end of story, blizzard is being lazy.

I can understand that people would consider it lazy, but they already have a graphics engine that's payed for and works well. It looks pretty good, and I'm sure it can be tweaked to give it more of a Diablo look than a WoW look. I'd much prefer that they really go all out in making the gameplay the best it can be, including optimizing battle.net.

i hav no doubt the gameplay will be great, but the what seem like recycled wow elements like the inventory and the "cartoony" look just piss me off. Dungeons should be dark and gloomy like the old diablo, not blue/green like we saw in the vid.

ps, saying this, i dont really care what the game looks like, as long as it comes out soon

blizzard is being lazy.

I think that Blizzard (and other game developers) are more of business corporations these days. They resort to use what is available, rather than create something genuinely good..

on a side note, anyone know whether it will be coming out on Mac? I played both Diablo I and II on PC and I switched to Mac last year.

It will come out for Mac at launch, and I don't see how re-using a perfectly good graphics system is a bad decision. I mean, yeah, as a business they want to save money overall, but you have to remember that by doing this they free up a lot of the budget to go toward making the game better. There is also the chance that they will re-skin everything later on, though that probably isn't likely.

Interview Leonard Boyarsky, Diablo 3's lead world designer:

IGN: What would be that thing that would pique someone's interest? What are you building in that could draw someone's interest and make them want to know more about the lore?

Leonard Boyarsky: What we're thinking is that there are certain things you can see or have happen, that - if I run across a scripted event or I see two people fighting or a conversation that I can overhear as I'm running by that gives me a piece of information that I can use later, but I don't need it. The hardcore action guys, they are first and foremost number crunchers, they're loot crunchers, they want the best gaming experience in terms of, like, how to maximise those areas, so if we can drop clues into the story as to how they can maximise their loot and maximise their armour, that would intrigue, I think, the hardcore action player to maybe look more into that. Obviously that wouldn't be the only way, and the minute the game comes out all that stuff is going to be available on the website anyway. There's going to be some people who just want to play it as an action game and that's fine. Our goal isn't to impede that at all, it's just - we want it there for the people that really want it.

IGN: In terms of drawing people into the game, you've introduced voices for the player characters. What was the process behind that decision? On one hand, with a player character that doesn't talk, you embody that role, whereas there's a danger that the player is distanced from a character with a defined personality.

Leonard Boyarsky: We went back and forth a lot on that. First we wanted to do it, then we didn't want to do it, then we wanted to do it. The reason we decided we wanted to do it was because it really enables us to have your player drive the action more.

IGN: How much choice do you have as a player to shape your character's persona? Dialogue trees or anything like that?

Leonard Boyarsky: There won't be any dialogue trees per se, but we're working on ways of your player affecting things. That's all I'll really say about that right now. We do want your player to feel like he's driving the story, and we looked at it more like a character that you can watch develop and identify with, as if, a bit more like a book you're reading or a movie you're watching, you know, a character you can identify with and be fired up to be that character, be excited to be that character. And it remains to be seen whether people get behind that or not. It is a risk...

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/893/893781p1.html

Blizzard... lazy? I think not.

The game is gonna be great. It's going to slowly chew away at my life, as will SC2 and RA3. Sigh... and by the time i'm gonna be done with all of these GT5 will come out, and I will truly be screwed.

I must say, for how much they have done on the game and how much they released upon announcement they did an amazing job of keeping it secret. No one knew if they were really making it till they said so. The only hint there was was blizz buying diablo3.com, but companys buy domain names all the time so even that wasn't much.

btw some one told me that diablo 1 and 2 were both released on june 29th, and d3 was announced on the 28? i think so possibly expect it in a year?

blizzard lazy? lol it's like saying Ferrari is lazy for re using tech.

I'm shooting for June 2011 for the release of this game. In the mean time I've been trying to think of what character I will make first. Mostly going for the barbarian or monk as melee is more my style. I guess the monk can use claws too.

Here be a merchant thingy

Last edited:
I'm more of a ranged fighter, so I was going for Wizard, but now that they've brought in the Demon Hunter, I'm torn... Guess I'll just have to flip for it.

The demon hunter does seem interesting. Feels like a bowasin from D2. Assassin using traps and a bow. I'm sure I'll make one at some point. I'm curious to see what the rest of the witch doctors skills will be.

And WHOOSH. Thread bump.

Just got my D3 beta invitation and started playing.

Made a monk named PowPow (Couldn't think of a better title), and so far I'm LOVING it. The UI is OF COURSE vastly improved over D2, but not unfamiliar at all. There are new ways to learn skills and use them, and new ways of using item enchantments and so much more. I'd post screenshots from the game, but atm there's......... <drum roll>.......... network issues! So I'll post some stuff tomorrow or something.

Meanwhile, anyone else get the beta inv? I'd been waiting a long-ass time for this, can't believe it finally came.

I WANT IN!

But I don't own an existing Blizzard game and the cheapest option is ?15...

Last edited:
But I don't own an existing Blizzard game and the cheapest option is ?15...

how could you possibly manage THAT? o_O i mean alright, i somehow lost my original copy of starcraft, so i don't have that... but apart from that... there's wacraft 2 and 3, diablo 1 and 2... and erm... well... WoW even attached to my account in addition to the most recent SC2 of course. i always thought EVERYBODY had at least wc3 or d2... somehow that was some sort of general education of sorts :p